2914 37 2019-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
Flight distance : 258586 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys,
I've just shelled out £1350 for the Mavic 2 Pro and on Thursday evening whilst in Wales at sunset it literally dropped into the sea...
I had only just put a new official battery on it.
It was in range, conditions were calm and I am an experienced pilot, blah blah blah....

Drone is 2-3 weeks old ....

I cannot claim on my home insurance, I cannot return the "defective" product to the store, because I only have a the controller left.
Please can someone help in what if anything I can do?!?!
Thanks guys
2019-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Upload flight log from your device. Link below.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/4DRP16ZBZOLF0VK1LL8T
2019-4-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that. Sounds like a defective battery lost voltage and the drone dropped or possibly a bird hit it which is more common when flying over sea. Will be interesting to see the flight records to shed more light on the situation. Although no warranty will replace the drone as a total loss, DJI have be known to offer large credits toward a replacement under these circumstances - even 50% of the cost. Good luck.
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-20 09:10

Thank you where exactly do I upload them too?
Trying to download them now
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-20 09:35
Sorry to read that. Sounds like a defective battery lost voltage and the drone dropped or possibly a bird hit it which is more common when flying over sea. Will be interesting to see the flight records to shed more light on the situation. Although no warranty will replace the drone as a total loss, DJI have be known to offer large credits toward a replacement under these circumstances - even 50% of the cost. Good luck.

God I hope so! I'm absolutely gutted!
I am trying to download my flight logs now but am struggling to figure it all out! lol
2019-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JonnyEssex Posted at 4-20 09:53
Thank you where exactly do I upload them too?
Trying to download them now

The link I gave you just click on it and follow instructions come back and post log
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I now have the flight record but there is nowhere to upload it to from the link you gave me?! :-/
Just takes me to a general section with lot's and lot's of random stuff?
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

/Users/slrphotography/Desktop/DJIFlightRecord_2019-04-18_[19-28-01].txt#Quick Reply Here#
2019-4-20
Use props
bikoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

JonnyEssex Posted at 4-20 10:13
/Users/slrphotography/Desktop/DJIFlightRecord_2019-04-18_[19-28-01].txt#Quick Reply Here#

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5HSH2A030SL710KTMP9L/
Thank you guys I hope this helps in some way....
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Flight log here -
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5HSH2A030SL710KTMP9L/
2019-4-20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JonnyEssex Posted at 4-20 09:56
God I hope so! I'm absolutely gutted!
I am trying to download my flight logs now but am struggling to figure it all out! lol

Fingers crossed for you mate
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-20 10:26
Fingers crossed for you mate

Will someone from DJI look here at all????
2019-4-20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JonnyEssex Posted at 4-20 10:27
Will someone from DJI look here at all????

DJI moderators do check the forum and have been known to help out with situations like this - keep checking the thread periodically
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-20 10:29
DJI moderators do check the forum and have been known to help out with situations like this - keep checking the thread periodically

OK thank you so much for getting back to me. Have you been able to view the flight log?
I know nothing about batteries etc but it had 58% and seemed to be working all fine...
2019-4-20
Use props
bikoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

there's something wrong on 3m 10.2s the IMU go all the way down to 0  then start to be -  , hope someone here who have better experience can explain more
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

bikoo Posted at 4-20 10:33
there's something wrong on 3m 10.2s the IMU go all the way down to 0  then start to be -  , hope someone here who have better experience can explain more

I think that could just be because we were taking off from a higher altitude on a hill side ....
That's my only guess anyhow...
2019-4-20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JonnyEssex Posted at 4-20 10:31
OK thank you so much for getting back to me. Have you been able to view the flight log?
I know nothing about batteries etc but it had 58% and seemed to be working all fine...

Difficult one to gauge. I take it that you took off from a cliff and descended 300' below it whilst putting the drone nearly two miles away from your position over the sea with the drone 276' below you and clearly out of sight then lost it. There is a strong GPS connection throughout the flight, no errors showing a specific cause and no major deviation in the battery cells that I can see. If a bird hit it or a battery error occurred this should show up in the final inputs on the records but nothing has. May be a wave took it? Strange one but keep the next drone in line of sight in future. Hopefully someone else will be able to put more meat on the bone here.
2019-4-20
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

The - figure is because he took off from the cliff top and flew down over the sea.
From the log it looks like he flew into the water, vps flashing up just before hitting the water.
Some really high roll angles seem strange for a calm day, my guess is that from 10,000ft away and viewing from 280ft above the piolt could not see the mavic well enough judge the height above sea level.
But the thing to do is sync your flight records and open a case with DJI from the support page.
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi guys,
Thank you for the response, we could see the drone happily we had binoculars but I could see the lights clearly as well it was literally straight ahead.
We were just heading out to where the sunlight was hitting the ocean, Could clearly see the ocean in the camera feed to which there were no interruptions.
So definitely 1 billion % didn't fly it in the sea... lol,
The night was clear and the sea dead calm, (we don't really have high waves of the sort here in the UK that would go as high as I was)...

It's definitely not an easy one but I am gutted to say the least.... :-/
2019-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JonnyEssex Posted at 4-20 10:57
Hi guys,
Thank you for the response, we could see the drone happily we had binoculars but I could see the lights clearly as well it was literally straight ahead.
We were just heading out to where the sunlight was hitting the ocean, Could clearly see the ocean in the camera feed to which there were no interruptions.

I don’t think log shows you lowering into the sea, you obviously flew over a fair bit of land and onto the sea, this is why we see the minus figures changing as your flying.
Your log ends and doesn’t show what happened, a bit strange at the end, this could have something to do with a complete shutdown .

You say you just put an official battery in it, it kind of implies that maybe you have an unofficial battery somewhere lol.
I think this is one for dji to work out, it would be interesting if you get a warranty, just ask what exactly happened and come back and let us know. Good Luck .
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-20 11:50
I don’t think log shows you lowering into the sea, you obviously flew over a fair bit of land and onto the sea, this is why we see the minus figures changing as your flying.
Your log ends and doesn’t show what happened, this could have something to do with a complete shutdown .

Hi and thanks for the reply!
No no not at all, I bought the drone and fly more kit but I've read threads for 20 years and you always get people implying stuff. I am a press photographer I only buy branded stuff for my Nikon and Sony cameras etc I wouldn't ever skimp on a battery....
Typically it's bank holiday in the UK so I can't do anything remotely until Tuesday! lol
But will update then!
2019-4-20
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Looking at the flight in Google Earth, there's some crazy gyrations at the end of the flight. Looks like it was tumbling when it hit the water which would be suspect for another M2P falling out of the sky, you hit something or a bird strike. Will be interesting to see what others say who are better with analyzing the flight logs.
2019-4-20
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

You took off in low light indicated by the drone shortly after take off as it couldn't sense the ground .was it near dusk ?

@ 8m 1.8s  weak signal but quickly recovered.

Some really high roll indicators just before you lost contact. And I assume it was then the drone was lost ?

When you were watching on your monitor what height was the drone? Maybe your drone was a lot lower than you thought? Wave or bird strike possibly? Or a complete system fail. There nothing really that stands out.

But 1.85 miles from home, over sea at low light levels on a 3 week old drone....
2019-4-20
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Sorry to know that
2019-4-20
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

The KML file shows take off at 294ft..........Flew into the water at -2ft

Take off = 294ft...which = 0 in the DJI App..........

Knowing the altitude is always off " a bit "  11m 17.5s        P-GPS        20satellites        -286.4ft        N/A        9.6mph        9,786.8ft        58%.............  - 286.4ft alt. can easily put you in the water.....specially when you are BVLOS

Sorry for your loss.

Randy
2019-4-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

The link you posted is bad.
2019-4-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JonnyEssex Posted at 4-20 10:57
Hi guys,

Is there any video feed captured by GO-4 running on SmartDevice (iPhone, iPad, tablet, cellphone, ...) you can upload showing last minute of drone's flight?
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-20 20:30
Is there any video feed captured by GO-4 running on SmartDevice (iPhone, iPad, tablet, cellphone, ...) you can upload showing last minute of drone's flight?

No there isn't any video feed sadly.
It did not just fly into the water either.
Not at all. Altitude is a rough estimate, when you take off from a mountain and the sea is below sea level you do not get EXACT height data. I could see the drone, in fact through the binoculars it was clearly at least 18-30feet above water.... I was happily watching it through the screen too...

So if we could leave comments of flying into the sea that would be more useful!
That is not what happened remotely! :-/
2019-4-20
Use props
JonnyEssex
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sky Donkey Posted at 4-20 14:41
You took off in low light indicated by the drone shortly after take off as it couldn't sense the ground .was it near dusk ?

@ 8m 1.8s  weak signal but quickly recovered.

Hi thank you it wasn't "low light" so to speak, I could see it clearly.
The drone took off from my hand hence the warning at the beginning we were also on a sloping mountain which probably through it off. From the campsite we had clear visuals my partner had binoculars that she could see clearly through we were nowhere near water in terms of height.
We just don't have waves like that in the calm Welsh sea on a night like that.
Bird strike is a possibility I suppose but I certainly hadn't seen any and we had clear visuals of the water through the mobile, in fact we had zero problems full stop until it just dropped! :-/

* I've owned a few drones and going to 1.8miles isn't a problem, especially over such a straight clear distance. Totally devoid of any obstacles or interference in fact they were basically perfect conditions apart from the sea! :-(

Very very odd
2019-4-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JonnyEssex Posted at 4-20 23:50
No there isn't any video feed sadly.
It did not just fly into the water either.
Not at all. Altitude is a rough estimate, when you take off from a mountain and the sea is below sea level you do not get EXACT height data. I could see the drone, in fact through the binoculars it was clearly at least 18-30feet above water.... I was happily watching it through the screen too...

Barking at wrong person.  Never said anything about flying into sea.
Only asked if there was video of last minute.  Perhaps aiding in figuring out what happened.
Like possibility of drone being hit by a bird...
2019-4-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to hear about the mishap that happens on your aircraft. I would recommend syncing your flight records and contact our support via the link below for us to provide an appropriate solution. Also, to determine what was the caused of the incident. If you wish to contact our support, kindly click the link below.

www.dji.com/support.
2019-4-21
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-21 05:02
Barking at wrong person.  Never said anything about flying into sea.
Only asked if there was video of last minute.  Perhaps aiding in figuring out what happened.
Like possibility of drone being hit by a bird...

Considering how birds in my area are curious/aggressive/dumb, a bird strike is always a possibility. especially when a drone is far off.
2019-4-21
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buy another mavic 2 Pro  and try to replicate the flight.
Honest question do you have an experience flying drones? If not why would you fly it that way with no experience. If yes how the heck did you manage to lost a bird only 2 miles away from you.

No one here will give you definite answer about what really happened . 99% are speculations. Most important question what will dji decide. Open a case with them and see what happens.
2019-4-21
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Your best bet is to get an open case with DJI, like previously mentioned.  Really sorry to hear that.  This is the second or third case of the 2 Pro I've read on these forums about an abrupt 'blackout/power loss'.  Most birds are not inquisitive (other than crows and gulls), but cautious or just steer clear of drones.  Predatory birds are more prone to attack drones.
2019-4-21
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Aggressive seagulls can and have taken drones out.

Also worth remembering flying that far in the UK is a criminal offence.  You have way way outside the unaided visual line of sight law amongst other things.
2019-4-25
Use props
Parik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1643773 ft
  • >>>
Finland

My mavic is also new, just 1 day old. I got the same error. have you updated DJI go 4 app on  your mobile? have you updated the to latest firimware? Anyways in some other thread that i read that after , it starts to autoland due to firmware / Obstacle Avoidance sensor issue. Create a case with DJI and upload logs there. There is some software and or firmwrae issue for sure. I think you will get good help from DJI.
My experience with Spark , Air is good so far. Your drone is under warranty, so I hope you will get a new one.

2019-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules