Anyone help me with some video artifacting?
1255 11 2019-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TMcArthur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1250469 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys, first post here so I apologize if it's in the wrong location on the forum.
I recently picked up a Mavic Pro from a friend and have been doing some test recordings with it before taking it out for a proper flight. My first set of footage came out fantastic! Very clear and graded very well. After I recorded that footage I reset everything to factory so I could set it all up myself. Now, for whatever reason, my footage always seems to come out VERY grainy and VERY artifacts. The grass looks like a sea of noise and even the mountains in the background seem to have artifacts coming off of them (footage below). Any fix?

I was recording at 3840x2160 @ 30FPS in auto camera settings. When I was recording and everything turned out fine I was in the slightly higher resolution 4K but also using auto camera settings.

2019-4-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Is this footage from the SD card, or straight from the phone?
2019-4-22
Use props
TMcArthur
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-22 10:15
Is this footage from the SD card, or straight from the phone?

Footage straight from the SD card.
2019-4-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TMcArthur Posted at 4-22 15:43
Footage straight from the SD card.

Ok.
First possible cause eliminated.
What happens if you film at 2.7K ?
2019-4-22
Use props
TMcArthur
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-22 22:07
Ok.
First possible cause eliminated.
What happens if you film at 2.7K ?

I'll test it out in the morning. I had extracted the footage using the USB outlet on the Mavic so I also purchased an SD card reader recently so hopefully, just in case the footage didn't like being transferred there.
2019-4-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TMcArthur Posted at 4-23 01:03
I'll test it out in the morning. I had extracted the footage using the USB outlet on the Mavic so I also purchased an SD card reader recently so hopefully, just in case the footage didn't like being transferred there.

That should not make a difference.
Some say the speed of the SD card does make a difference.
I believe you will get an error message while filming when the speed of the sd card is too slow.
So unless you got that, it should be fast enough.

The Mavic Pro 'only' has a bitrate of 60MB/s so that is NOT enough for a 4k stream.
This is what causes the artifacts, since they have to compress the footage.
The problem is MOST visible when you shoot low contrast (because that has the most details)
So from what I read 2.7K is the optimal resolution.
(I only shoot 1080p because I don't like the long render times of 4K and believe that most views are on a small screen anyway that won't benefit from 4K)

What you should check is your profile settings.
There is a 'best' setting according to some users and it varies per user. So, as usual, you can better try it out yourself.
With profile settings I mean the contrast, sharpness, saturation settings.

Here is one opinion:

And another (this is my personal favorite)
2019-4-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, good day TMcArthur. We do apologize for the inconvenience. May I ask you if you are currently using an updated firmware? If not, please update your firmware to its latest version for us not having any errors or problems in the unit. Also, you may consider trying to reset your camera settings to see if there would be any changes. Hoping that you could get the best suggestions and recommendation to our valued DJI members and customer here in the forum. Please keep us posted on the latest update for us to further isolate the issue. Have a safe and happy flying always!
2019-4-23
Use props
TMcArthur
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I'm on a 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card. It was on the latest firmware when I received it but I updated it the night just to be sure before throwing all my settings in. I just went out and tested the 2.7K option I'm gonna check that out in premiere real quick and will post a follow-up!
2019-4-23
Use props
TMcArthur
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-23 01:32
That should not make a difference.
Some say the speed of the SD card does make a difference.
I believe you will get an error message while filming when the speed of the sd card is too slow.

Funny enough, I watched these two videos the night I got the drone! I'll watch over them once again just to be sure I didn't miss anything.
2019-4-23
Use props
TMcArthur
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here's the footage in 2.7K. I feel like it looks better but I still think the footage I took on day 1 in 4K was significantly better looking. Perhaps it's just because my testing area isn't exactly detail intensive so it's struggling?

Here's the footage from day 1 and it seems like there's next to no grainy/artifacted areas, even in full 4K.

2019-4-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TMcArthur Posted at 4-23 12:49
Funny enough, I watched these two videos the night I got the drone! I'll watch over them once again just to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Hahahahahaha!
2019-4-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

TMcArthur Posted at 4-23 13:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmAwJQ8VCqk
Here's the footage in 2.7K. I feel like it looks better but I still think the footage I took on day 1 in 4K was significantly better looking. Perhaps it's just because my testing area isn't exactly detail intensive so it's struggling?

Looks much better indeed!
2019-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules