External vlogging mic for the Pocket, Comica CVM-VM10 II
3869 14 2019-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

Rather than repeat myself, here's the waffle from the YouTube description for this vlogging test with the Comica CVM-VM10 II

Cheers,
Dave.

Comica CVM-VM10 II Amazon.com: https://geni.us/ComicaVM10IIUSA
Comica CVM-VM10 II Amazon.co.uk: https://geni.us/ComicaVM10IIUK
Ulanzi Quarter 20 extender Amazon.com: https://geni.us/Ulanzi3in1USA
Ulanzi Quarter 20 extender Amazon.co.uk: https://geni.us/Ulanzi3in1UK

Vlogging on a DJI Osmo Pocket with a Comica CVM VM10 II external cardioid condenser video microphone

In this video I'm trying out the Comica CVM-VM10 II for vlogging on a DJI Osmo Pocket. The Pocket was set to auto for the audio record level and I raised the level in post with a limiter and re-summing.

The Comica VM10 II is a short bodies pencil mic, something that's also referred to as video mic. Just like other similar microphones, such as the Rode VideoMicro, it's a cardioid condenser that takes its power via the mic cable from the host, in this case the external microphone adaptor for the DJI Osmo Pocket. I suspect that this mic is actually super cardioid, going by the results of other recordings I've done with it.

In my opinion the Comica CVM-VM10 & the mark 2 are one of the best vlogging mics and excellent value for money. The test also shows that the VM10 matches very well with the Osmo Pocket.

I will be doing some more similar videos to this one where I test other video microphones and give examples of how they sound, used as a video microphone with the DJI Osmo Pocket. I'll be testing mics by Rode, Boya, Movo and others.

As I say in the video, this test was specifically to test for tonal quality. This means having to use the least amount of protection for the mic as any type of wind filter will alter tone. To keep tonal impact to a minimum I only used the Comica supplied foam filter, which meant that there was some wind distortion in this recording, although not much. The results are a very pleasing tone in my opinion.

Here's some links to Amazon where you can find the DJI Osmo Pocket and some of the peripherals that I use with my Osmo Pocket and my rig setups:

2019-4-21
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Nice rig and good results.
I always tend to put the mic as low as possible to aviod it from the FOV of OP.
2019-4-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool set up
2019-4-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this wonderful video you have created. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-4-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-21 20:15
Nice rig and good results.
I always tend to put the mic as low as possible to aviod it from the FOV of OP.

Cheers
2019-4-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cheers
2019-4-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-22 08:55
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this wonderful video you have created. Great work and thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen.

You are most certainly welcome buddy.

I have a number of these small cheap video mics, Rode, Movo etc. if people are interested I will do some short 3 minute vlog examples of them in use with the Pocket.

As far as I'm concerned, I think the Pocket sounds brilliant with these small pencil condenser mics (video mics) when they are mounted in a close vlog position with the Pocket.

I'll work out the best small rig system that will work with these types of mics and deadcats, so the deadcats don't get into the field of view when doing typical vlogging.
My particular use with the Pocket is to keep it as small as possible and get the best, easiest and practical dialogue recording with it. So it's all small enough to fit inside a pocket or two when out and about.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome
2019-4-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

David_Harry Posted at 4-23 10:40
Hi Stephen.

You are most certainly welcome buddy.

You're very much welcome Dave. Thanks for the additional information and happy filming! Cheers!
2019-4-23
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great video and write up again Dave Results sound very good to me - I'd be quite satisfied with those results - thanks for sharing
2019-4-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Gelert Posted at 4-23 22:11
Great video and write up again Dave  Results sound very good to me - I'd be quite satisfied with those results - thanks for sharing

Hi Gelert, thanks.

I'm also impressed with the results. I've since used a modified version of the setup with a Rode deadcat that stays out of the FOV and the results are excellent as far as wind distortion is concerned with slight breezes.

When matched with certain microphones, the Pocket does respond just as well as any other similar device.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-24
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great! Nice setup
2019-4-24
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

I will be out town tomorrow evening to Germany, have a chance to make some video, wish it turn out not bad with the new gadgets I bought, I also got some small dead cat for the mic.
2019-4-24
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dave, I have a very similar setup to yours and I reach the same conclusions as well.

Here's what the setup looks like...
FrontView.jpg SideView1.jpg SideView2.jpg
2019-4-24
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

txtechnonerd Posted at 4-24 05:50
Dave, I have a very similar setup to yours and I reach the same conclusions as well.
https://youtu.be/WcBreVBVgUg

Hi James.

Excellent video and a load of great points being made. You are absolutely correct, the combination works very well and just as well as anything similar. In fact, the same mic was noticeably noisy on a GoPro 7.

Cheers, Dave.
2019-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules