Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air Shutter Type - Rolling or Global?
3887 10 2019-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James_ML
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413625 ft
Australia

Hi All,

Been looking into the difference between the Mavic Pro 2 and Phantom 4 Pro particuarlly for drone mapping.

The big difference seems to be the Mavic Pro 2 doesn't have the Global shutter that the Phantom 4 Pro has which seems be to an issue while mapping.

Out of interest, what shutter does the Mavic Air have, Rolling or Global Shutter?
Some sources on the internet are claiming Rolling while others are claiming Global.

Thanks in advance,
2019-4-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, good day James_ML. Thanks for reaching out. We will forward this to our designated department for us to provide you the correct information with regards to this inquiry. Once I have the result I will definitely send you a notification as well. Thank you for your patience and support. Have a great day!
2019-4-23
Use props
James_ML
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-23 15:38
Hi, good day James_ML. Thanks for reaching out. We will forward this to our designated department for us to provide you the correct information with regards to this inquiry. Once I have the result I will definitely send you a notification as well. Thank you for your patience and support. Have a great day!

Hi,
Thanks for that. I'll wait to hear back from you.

Cheers
2019-4-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

James_ML Posted at 4-23 16:24
Hi,
Thanks for that. I'll wait to hear back from you.

You're very much welcome. Thank you for your support.
2019-4-24
Use props
James_ML
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-24 10:04
You're very much welcome. Thank you for your support.

Hi DJI Gamora,

Any update on this?

Thanks
2019-4-29
Use props
CutAussie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 196647 ft
Australia

It’s a rolling shutter as are most cheap cameras
2019-5-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the very late response. As we verify to our designated department it shows that the DJI Mavic Air has a Global shutter type. Should you have any inquiries or concern please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-7-12
Use props
Dakar Enduro
First Officer
Flight distance : 1451841 ft
Senegal

Wow.  Unexpected
2019-7-12
Use props
djiuser_8xdxbZ47y4AG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7618514 ft
United States

There seems to be some confusion of terms here... the Phantom 4 v2 has a MECHANICAL shutter which is a physical shutter that shields light from reaching the sensor. This is the “click” you hear on a DSLR camera. All Mavics including the Mavic Air use an electronic shutter meaning the pixels on the sensor are activated and deactivated electronically and there is no moving part that physically  blocks the light from hitting the sensor.

This is why an electronic sensor can achieve a higher shutter speed because it doesn’t need to wait for a physical shutter to get out of the way before taking the next frame. This is also why you don’t hear a “click” from the camera.

The type of sensor in the mavic Air is called a CMOS sensor and this type of sensor works by reading out each line of pixels very quickly but not all at the same time, the reading of sensor data occurs on a rolling basis until all the lines of the sensor are read and then a frame has been captured. It’s a rolling shutter
2019-7-12
Use props
Dakar Enduro
First Officer
Flight distance : 1451841 ft
Senegal

Specs on the Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic Air:

Phantom 4 Pro:
Mechanical Shutter Speed        8 - 1/2000 s

Mavic Air:
Shutter Speed        Electronic Shutter: 8 - 1/8000s
2019-7-12
Use props
Alex1976
First Officer
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

For what i know Mavic Air has a rolling shutter and it is not a good choice for drone mapping
2019-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules