iPad mini 2 wifi on or off?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
info.marcelvoss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1795 ft
Netherlands

Hi there,

I'm using the Phantom 3 with an iPad mini 2 16Gb cellular (without a SIM card)

Is it really needed to shut down the WIFI on the iPad whenever I start flying, or is this not really a problem for the signals of the Phantoms for flying and video?
It is not even used because I dont have a WIFI network outside most of the time, but I have no idea if it tries to connect and disturbs the signals of the Phantom 3 anyway.

It is particularly confusing to me because in the manual they say you shouldnt use WIFI around the set, and I also heard that if you own the Phantom 2 and a Gopro Hero, you should never have the WIFI on the Gopro turned on.
But when I asked if I could use an iPad mini 2 version without GPS, because then the controler wouldnt know its location,  DJI (chat) said sure, you can hook it up to your phone to get the GPS position. I thought better be safe than sorry so I got the 4G iPAd version that also has GPS built in, so I could turn of WIFI and leave GPS on, but sometimes one forgets...

But according to what DJI said, it would be okay to let the WIFI on?
To be honest I forgot to turn it off on the first flights anyway and noticed nothing strange in flying, but I havent been further away from base than appr. 400-500 meters.

Does anyone know for sure if it makes a difference?

Marcel

2015-6-7
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You should not have any issues with it turned ON. But as like you say you dont use it ( same as celluar ), it might as well br tuned off. This was the device is doing less and as such more resource available for the Pilot App. I normally fly with "Airplace Mode"..

You can now buy the official DJI Hardshell Backpack
Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-7
Use props
info.marcelvoss
lvl.2
Netherlands

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-7 16:13
You should not have any issues with it turned ON. But as like you say you dont use it ( same as cell ...

Thanks, I agree, its better to turn it off if not needed.

Just wanted to make sure if its dangerous in case I do forget it!  ;)

2015-6-7
Use props
ecarpo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I have a similar question. I have recently ordered my P3, not arrived yet. I was planning to use my iPad mini but have just realised it is not supported so looking to upgrade to the mini 2 or 3. I realise that maps can't be downloaded on the fly and would need to be cached with a wifi only iPad but is it possible to use your iPhone to create a personal wifi spot that the iPad could use to operate. Is this unwise? My other option is to just use my iPhone 6, has anyone experience of using an iPhone, is it too small? They also say don't use a cellular phone while calibrating the compass but I assume the iPhone does not need to be put in airplane mode and cellular activity won't affect the drone after compass calibration has been completed.
2015-6-7
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ecarpo@hotmail. Posted at 2015-6-7 19:06
I have a similar question. I have recently ordered my P3, not arrived yet. I was planning to use my  ...

Keep them away from the Phantom when calibrating the compass ( keep the phone,tablet controller and anything metal about 10 feet away, same with takeoff ). You will have no issues then.
2015-6-7
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

The only flight I had a problem with the downlink was the one I forgot to put WiFi off on my iPad Air (despite my very complete checklist)
2015-6-7
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

ecarpo@hotmail. Posted at 2015-6-7 19:06
I have a similar question. I have recently ordered my P3, not arrived yet. I was planning to use my  ...

I'm flying my P3P with a Galaxy S5. I think it's a little bigger than some of the iPhones, but it's certainly not as large as many of the tablets people are using.

The size of the phone and therefore the visibility of the app is fine, as far as the app is concerned. Like most, my major problem is seeing the darn thing in the bright sun. I don't know if a bigger screen makes it any better or just makes a bigger glare! I'd hate to spend $200 - $500 only to discover that bigger is not necessarily better!

An obvious option is some kind of sunscreen. I home-brewed my own. Unless the commercial variety is far better, it was not a great deal of improvement. When I fly, I do my best to find some available shade that still lets my antennas be oriented for the best signal to the P3P. Because of the glare problem I end up flying a lot by just keeping an eye on my P3. Often I'll just let it hover while I struggle to see what's being displayed. Needless to say, thus far it has not gotten very far away from me!
2015-6-7
Use props
info.marcelvoss
lvl.2
Netherlands

Ulysse Posted at 2015-6-7 20:46
The only flight I had a problem with the downlink was the one I forgot to put WiFi off on my iPad Ai ...

Hi there,  

In what way did you have a problem with the downlink then? Distortion in the video or no connection to control it? And was the Phantom far away from you at the time?

And was the wifi doing anything (connecting to a phone or something) or just turned on on your iPad?

I gotta think of that when I go flying...better safe then sorry.

Does anyone know how to get this realistic map on an iPAd? I used the app on my Android phone and it showed a 'google earth like' view,  the iPad 2 mini shows me maps like google maps , very simple.

Do i have to sync them in some way when connected to wifi? And how do I do that?
2015-6-7
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

info.marcelvoss Posted at 2015-6-7 22:39
Hi there,  

In what way did you have a problem with the downlink then? Distortion in the video or ...

When you cache your maps, use the hybrid view, it's pretty good. Not Google Earth detail, but more than good enough for a small map on a iPad.

The other thing that people need to do if the are having problems with FPV freezing up is to clear the video cache. The default setting is 2GB. If you dump it every time your Pilot app  won't have to try to free up space.

The other thing is that when flying directly overhead, you might have to adjust your antenna . They are directional so if you've got problems, try that first.
2015-6-7
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

info.marcelvoss Posted at 2015-6-7 22:39
Hi there,  

In what way did you have a problem with the downlink then? Distortion in the video or ...

I had random disconnection during this flight.
The Wifi was just turned on (iPad Air cellular + Wifi)

I don't try to understand everything but I read almost everything related to DJI P2 and P3 and checked almost every P2 and P3 video available before purchase.
Based on this I made (and updated) a checklist. I have now 20 flights behind me (and a lot more with other RC models in the past as some real airplane experience) without any problems (apart from one flight with some disconnections).
Everything we put in the air is supposed to fall from the sky... eventually killing someone. So I think it is mandatory to have a checklist and follow some basic rules in order to avoid problems.

The app on the iPad uses the Apple Map. I usually use the cellular connection to download the map during the Phantom warming up (around 30 seconds for mine).
And before I even connect the iPad to the RC, I put luminosity and volume to the max and turn off Wifi and BT. I don't put the iPad on airplane mode.
Like said above, no problems at all after 20 flights, 2 firmware updates and 1 app update.
2015-6-7
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

The only time I have had a problem was using Youtube Live Stream over what was most likely a 2.4ghz wifi, apart from that time I always leave wifi on and let it connect to the house or hotspot and it seems to work just fine for maps. I assume the map download is so quick and low bandwidth that the wifi signal for it does not trouble light bridge but the constant stream of Youtube was too much.

When it did go wrong I simply got a bit of break up on the live feed and once in a while the app displayed poor RC signal so I got plenty of warning that something was not quite right.

The benefit of turning it off of course is longer battery life!
2015-6-7
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-7
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-6-8 07:00
Why is the iPad mini not supported?

Simple. Chip not fast enough.
2015-7-1
Use props
telecam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1540384 ft
  • >>>
United States

When flying using an iPad 2 WiFi + 4G with no service contract and Airplane mode ON, does it receive GPS location?  Or should I keep Airplane mode OFF?  Also, how do you cache the map in the tablet?  do you do this from the DJI Go, Apple Maps or Google Map app?
2015-10-28
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

ecarpo@hotmail. Posted at 2015-6-7 07:06

I have used my iPad with the iPhone hotspot so that I can download the maps. Works exactly as you would expect it to.

Just a word of warning, don't be near either the iPhone or the iPad when you are calibrating the compass.
2015-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules