To update or not
727 13 2019-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tom Swope
lvl.2
United States

Have’nt updated the Magic Pro for awhile and it flies good now. I’ve read horror stories about downloading updates causing all kinds of issues. My question is , what happens if I don’t update when I get the message to update?
2019-4-23
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Nothing happens ... at the moment updates are not compulsory. You can chose to ignore the update.
2019-4-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good fay Tom Swope. Thank you for reaching out and the inquiry. It is highly recommended to upgrade the firmware to the latest version since it is the optimization on the previous firmware. However, you may or you may not upgrade if everything is working well for you with the current firmware version you have. Thank you.
2019-4-23
Use props
Tom Swope
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, appreciate the responses. Just did’nt want to fix something that’s not broken.
2019-4-23
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Tom,

Do not update if the quad is working good for you. All you will do is introduce more restrictions. I used to do EVERY update when I was new to this hobby. back in the days of the Flamewheel 450. ( you had to build the unit yourself) I've had several quads since and flown them successfully for years. I have noticed that DJI's updates are getting more restrictive, and don't need to be for the honest law abiding person. I am now flying the MA and the Mavic Pro. Both units with several generation old firmware on them. They both fly great, and give me no problems. Quite a joy to fly. So if all is working, Do Not update. My two cents on the matter.
2019-4-24
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Ditto to the above. I've been flying older FW on my MP for some time now as the newer FW introduced a lot of headaches and bugs I could never resolve. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
2019-4-24
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

Dont update, I had lots of problems when I updated. Last update did work for me, but I am still flying with an older go4 app. You can try, but write down the version you are using now  so you can go back
2019-4-24
Use props
Tom Swope
lvl.2
United States

When purchased a few years ago and using an s5 smart phone life was beautiful. After updating numerously times the s5 started pixilating and becoming unusable. Started using an iPad but did’nt like the hoops to downloading pictures. Android is much simpler and user friendly. Just tried an S7 smart phone with an old update and life is beautiful again. Common sense , following the rules and being safe are no accident  and will protect the hobby.
2019-4-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Until there is a need, I am holding off on Upgrading Firmware for Mavic Pro P, R.C., & Smart batteries.
Also holding off on Upgrading Firmware / OS for CrystalSky Ultra and GO-4 App.
For primary reason, system has been working without problems for kind of flying I do.  Granted, don't use any of fancy features like asteroid, active track, or tripod.
2019-4-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

what happens if I don’t update when I get the message to update?

Do what some of us have done.  On your SmartDevice (what GO-4 is running on), Turn Off - Cellular, WiFi, and BlueTooth before going out to fly.
Or when you have a dedicated SmartDevice, don't ever turn them back on.

2019-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It just depends what FW your on, if you can roll back, then maybe try updating if it’s not for you just roll back .
2019-4-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Tom Swope Posted at 4-23 19:45
Thanks, appreciate the responses. Just did’nt want to fix something that’s not broken.

You are very much welcome Tom Swope. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all to help and support you. Thank you.
2019-4-24
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Understand about the introduction of possible bugs when updating, I may have one after the latest one but you get useful features added, the list is long and DJI are usually good at ironing out rough edges.

For anyone that for some reason requires 'more' there is NLD but I wouldn't advise it under normal circumstances nor is it necessary.
2019-4-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As far as I remember any of the V01.04.XXXX series firmware can be rolled back as far as V01.04.0000 (but not before that).

My Mavic Pro is at latest version V01.04.0500 without issues.

One thing that might cause problems is not the firmware, but the introduction of geo fencing and fly safe database updates. But this has worked well for some with the latest zones round airport and such being 'slightly' better representations than the older encompassing circles that may or may not require different levels of authentication. Where I live these do not cause any problems at all.

As an afterthought, I wonder how a warranty claim would be handled by DJI if the system failed due to older firmware being used. I don't think I've read about any yet that have been turned down because of firmware being used. But only DJI would be aware of such statistics.
2019-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules