C- shape lens cover
759 21 2019-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Could be the best and minimal lens cover, C-shape, plastic, almost no weight and easy to snap on and off, I got mine free of charge together with the aftermarket OP case, but TaoBao China offers two for 20 Yuan.
Highly recomended.

Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 10.21.20 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 10.21.05 PM.png
2019-4-24
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

I suggest DJI to include one of this in the package, good for protecting the lens for daily use, even in the packing itself during delivery. It only cost them few cents for it.
2019-4-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Oh-no. Thank you for sharing this information with us. Great find and thank you for your support.
2019-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Oh-no Posted at 4-24 06:48
I suggest DJI to include one of this in the package, good for protecting the lens for daily use, even in the packing itself during delivery. It only cost them few cents for it.

It’s most likely to late for some, but yes it makes sense .
2019-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Oh-no Posted at 4-24 06:48
I suggest DJI to include one of this in the package, good for protecting the lens for daily use, even in the packing itself during delivery. It only cost them few cents for it.

It’s most likely to late for some, but yes it makes sense .
2019-4-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I would be more concerned about any possible pressure it could have on the gimbal motors when taking on and off than worry about lens scratches. Although unsightly, lens scratches seldom get picked up unless shooting directly towards light sources as anything against a front element is often well out of focus. Heck, I don't even notice fingerprints on the lens of my phone on shots taken. Even then, anything hitting the lens or scraping with enough force to scratch the lens is also a concern more for the gimbal motors as small specks of grit that can scratch the lens could also get stuck the gaps around the motors.
Anyway, I'll keep an open mind as I admit my fears may be unfounded and see how you get on.
2019-4-24
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

Excellent find, perfect for keeping your setup ultra small.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-4-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I think it would be most unwise for DJI to put these in the package for new users.  If people thought that they could just pop one of these onto the gimbal and then stuff it in their pocket without any other protection, they'd end up with possible gimbal damage, it seems to me.  But if the gimbal is protected, then the lens window should be protected too (by the gimbal cover).  So there's not much point in this device, surely?
2019-4-24
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Hi, Ray and fansfe82067d, I agree with your opinion, however, this snap on cover, or should say slide on cover, need only very very small force to slide in, it is far less than pulling the magnetic filter away from the lens.

If someone decided to put the OP in their pocket alone without the case, I will not recommend it. This cover is for extra protection to prevent any dust or debris collected in the case lining, or sometimes you want to lay down the OP for a while on the table or any surface, it is better than rotate the gimbal head to prevent it facing downwards.
2019-4-24
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 4-24 12:45
Hi.

Excellent find, perfect for keeping your setup ultra small.

Yeah ~~~ it is very practical, it came as a gift with the waterproof case, and I appreciate it.
2019-4-24
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-24 12:25
I would be more concerned about any possible pressure it could have on the gimbal motors when taking on and off than worry about lens scratches. Although unsightly, lens scratches seldom get picked up unless shooting directly towards light sources as anything against a front element is often well out of focus. Heck, I don't even notice fingerprints on the lens of my phone on shots taken. Even then, anything hitting the lens or scraping with enough force to scratch the lens is also a concern more for the gimbal motors as small specks of grit that can scratch the lens could also get stuck the gaps around the motors.
Anyway, I'll keep an open mind as I admit my fears may be unfounded and see how you get on.

Hi, Ray, regarding minor scratches or fingerprint on the lens surface, I totally agree with you, it does not harm the picture quality at all, because it never came into focus. Normally, I seldom clean the front lens of my camera right the way after it collect some dust, most cleaning will result in lens scratches if not done with care and patience.
2019-4-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-24 20:43
Hi, Ray, regarding minor scratches or fingerprint on the lens surface, I totally agree with you, it does not harm the picture quality at all, because it never came into focus. Normally, I seldom clean the front lens of my camera right the way after it collect some dust, most cleaning will result in lens scratches if not done with care and patience.

I do understand that the normal Osmo case is open and in a pocket may get dust, material, ingress from being carried around and could be a concern but equally, I don't know much about the Osmo Pockets gimbal motor bearings or how they work. All I know is they have to react fast and seem to need to be kept in top order. I have been adverse to touch the top half of my Osmo Pocket around the motor area more than is needed to do motion time-lapse or put it back into its carry case and do a very careful clean at the end of a day working with it. My son has bought a lens protective glass screen for his and that doesn't seem to have caused any visible degradation of the video quality, but still, I'm reluctant to go down that route either.
I'm also terrible at losing small items, so personally, I'm happy with less to lose
I still haven't heard from anyone that bought the sunshade for the Osmo Pocket yet either.
I am curious about these things and do wonder about their effectiveness or usefulness but I'm still just coming to grips with using video.
As for keeping a small footprint when out and about. I spent this weekend just using the OsmoPocket on its own for video but found when I got back, some serious problems with my framing ability which I think I should get better at first.  I thought I would be alright as I'm used to doing still image work at events but it turns out it's much harder to anticipate crowd movement in confined areas and shots either getting blocked of footage being ruined by having to move too fast to avoid such problems.
I think next time I am out I will definitely have to use the Osmo Pocket with my phone as well.
2019-4-25
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-25 02:19
I do understand that the normal Osmo case is open and in a pocket may get dust, material, ingress from being carried around and could be a concern but equally, I don't know much about the Osmo Pockets gimbal motor bearings or how they work. All I know is they have to react fast and seem to need to be kept in top order. I have been adverse to touch the top half of my Osmo Pocket around the motor area more than is needed to do motion time-lapse or put it back into its carry case and do a very careful clean at the end of a day working with it. My son has bought a lens protective glass screen for his and that doesn't seem to have caused any visible degradation of the video quality, but still, I'm reluctant to go down that route either.
I'm also terrible at losing small items, so personally, I'm happy with less to lose
I still haven't heard from anyone that bought the sunshade for the Osmo Pocket yet either.

Hi Ray, Sunshade acts as a sail too .... it catches wind ......

Yes, I am afraid losing small objects too ....... may be one day I will lose the lens cover too.

And practice makes perfect, I am also panning too fast ....
2019-4-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-25 02:28

Yes, I am afraid losing small objects too ....... may be one day I will lose the lens cover too.

My main fear is losing a micro SD card if I need to swap one out when shooting.
I think the Osmo Pockets screen is OK if I can set a shot up in advance but difficult to frame on the go.
I also discovered rather too late that the best mode for me is probably APV for walking around with.
2019-4-25
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

Thank you for this info.
Is it available online? Do you have a link?
2019-4-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 4-25 03:06
I also discovered rather too late that the best mode for me is probably APV for walking around with.

The trouble with FPV and the small screen is that it's hard to judge if you've got the horizon straight.  So Follow Mode (which should have been called Horizon Lock) tends to work best so you don't have to worry about the horizon, just the general framing of the shot - unless you deliberately want the horizon crooked.
2019-4-25
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Oh-no Posted at 4-25 02:28

Yes, I am afraid losing small objects too ....... may be one day I will lose the lens cover too.

I was wondering about sunshade too and hearing that it catches wind is hilarious.

Thanks for the info.
2019-4-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 4-25 18:05
The trouble with FPV and the small screen is that it's hard to judge if you've got the horizon straight.  So Follow Mode (which should have been called Horizon Lock) tends to work best so you don't have to worry about the horizon, just the general framing of the shot - unless you deliberately want the horizon crooked.

Unfortunately, the other modes have problems as well.  If it's not being able to make the gimble rise when recording then it's too slow to respond to me trying to get the view higher to prevent peoples heads getting cut off in shots or similar. If I have time to set up a shot there is little in the way of problems. It's shooting on the fly that I'm finding difficult.
2019-4-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great idea and suggestion, thanks for sharing!
2019-4-26
Use props
Ern
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Link to purchase item please
2019-4-26
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail ... tem_id=589457596481
2019-5-6
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

One more thing to note, remove the lens cover before you power on the OP, or it will lock the OP and needs reset the gimbal.
2019-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules