1276 21 2019-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Newbie Osmo pocket owner saying "hi"...I started with a DJI Spark, then an Osmo 2 Mobile gimbal and have been impressed by the quality, ease of use of the products, that today I collected an Osmo Pocket -  the reason primarily is that it's no longer permitted to fly a drone on the island of Santorini and I want something lightweight and portable to record some time lapse / motion lapses.
If you had 1 "top tip" for a newbie with an Osmo Pocket, what would it be?

Cheers,

Chris
2019-4-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Chris. Thank you for purchasing the DJI Osmo Pocket. I will be posting a video link where in you can learn more about your new DJI Osmo Pocket. I hope this can help. Have a safe and happy filming always.

https://www.dji.com/osmo-pocket/info#video
2019-4-24
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

welcome !  Since the OP has no aperture control, I would suggest a purchase of ND filters.
2019-4-24
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-24 11:38
Hello and good day Chris. Thank you for purchasing the DJI Osmo Pocket. I will be posting a video link where in you can learn more about your new DJI Osmo Pocket. I hope this can help. Have a safe and happy filming always.

https://www.dji.com/osmo-pocket/info#video

Thank you DJI Stephen - you are as helpful as always.
2019-4-24
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 4-24 11:43
welcome !  Since the OP has no aperture control, I would suggest a purchase of ND filters.

Thank you for the advice, why would I need those please?
2019-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Get ND filters.
2019-4-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

ChrisJG Posted at 4-24 11:58
Thank you DJI Stephen - you are as helpful as always.

It is always my pleasure to help and support you Chris. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-4-24
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

If you are shooting time-lapse mainly, normal (8, 16, 32, 64) ND filters would not necessary.
However you would like to check the 1000 ND filter if you like to add smooth motion blur on you day time time-lapse.
Also check clear night filter if you shoot time-lapse in night time as it blocks out certain yellow light frequency of street lights.

My take on time-lapse without ND filter.

Time-lapse with clear night filter.

Great case ND filter case idea.

Also check the wide angle lense for different framing.

And most of all, you will need a mean to mount pocket to the tripod.
Also the wireless adapter for shake free shutter release.
2019-4-24
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 4-24 20:18
If you are shooting time-lapse mainly, normal (8, 16, 32, 64) ND filters would not necessary.
However you would like to check the 1000 ND filter if you like to add smooth motion blur on you day time time-lapse.
Also check clear night filter if you shoot time-lapse in night time as it blocks out certain yellow light frequency of street lights.

Ah, awesome I’ll watch these after work, thank you very much. What’s the best way to mount the Osmo Pocket on a tripod? The wireless attachment must be in short supply here, no one has it in stock yet...
Thank you for again for the videos.
Chris
2019-4-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 4-24 20:18
However you would like to check the 1000 ND filter if you like to add smooth motion blur on you day time time-lapse.

Excellent work!
2019-4-24
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

This might be a bit of an odd tip, but here it comes:
Just have fun and play around with the OP for a while to get used to it, BEFORE you go ahead and purchase any (or too many) accessories. This way, you're most likely going to figure out what kind of accessories that you actually do need. And you are less likely to end up with stuff that will just gather dust in the end.
2019-4-25
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

CasualDronePilot Posted at 4-25 00:30
Just have fun and play around with the OP for a while to get used to it, BEFORE you go ahead and purchase any (or too many) accessories. This way, you're most likely going to figure out what kind of accessories that you actually do need. And you are less likely to end up with stuff that will just gather dust in the end.

Wise man speaks!
2019-4-25
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you, that's a great idea! I may not have much time before it comes with us to Greece though.
2019-4-25
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

ChrisJG Posted at 4-24 21:20
Ah, awesome I’ll watch these after work, thank you very much. What’s the best way to mount the Osmo Pocket on a tripod? The wireless attachment must be in short supply here, no one has it in stock yet...
Thank you for again for the videos.
Chris

I am actually made one myself.

But if you want to buy the mound...
Polapro has some nice mounting solutions.

And PGYTech has the smallest mounting solution.
2019-4-25
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 4-25 05:27
https://youtu.be/4w0OVxwZefw

I am actually made one myself.

That’s superb, congrats on your DIY skills. I’ve been lucky as the retailer has a give away of a PGYTech holder, which has a tripod socket on the base...Thanks for the advice.
Chris
2019-4-25
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 4-24 11:59
Thank you for the advice, why would I need those please?

I was going to say because in outdoor shooting especially in sun the shutter speed will end up very high (ie short ) which won't look ideal with motion , so by adding ND filters brings the shutter speed down closer to the 180degree rule to give more natural looking motion BUT  after casualdronespilot tip, I think that is much better advice so that is my no.1 tip - what he said .
2019-4-25
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 4-25 13:09
I was going to say because in outdoor shooting especially in sun the shutter speed will end up very high (ie short ) which won't look ideal with motion , so by adding ND filters brings the shutter speed down closer to the 180degree rule to give more natural looking motion BUT  after casualdronespilot tip, I think that is much better advice so that is my no.1 tip - what he said .

Thank you,I may pick up a filter anyway, as Greece is usually very bright and sunny in May.  There are differences between the OP and OM2; I’d hoped that the interface would have been similar, alas not so...
2019-4-25
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 4-25 13:25
Thank you,I may pick up a filter anyway, as Greece is usually very bright and sunny in May.  There are differences between the OP and OM2; I’d hoped that the interface would have been similar, alas not so...

An explanation here of why you may want to manually set your shutter speed lower ,

People tend to buy a set of filters since no one filter will cover all situations.
As a rough guide, ND4,ND8,ND16 is a common choice.

These will also allow you to play with light trail still photo's at night, or motion time lapse as posted earlier in the thread.

Regarding the interface between the OM2 & OP - do you mean the difference between the Go app and MIMO app ?  
2019-4-26
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

This is by far the best tip in this forum.  Don't get me wrong, I own many accessories including filters and believe me, I hardly use any of them.  I use the filters maybe 10% of the time.    I now enjoy the feeling of turning on the OP and start recording immediately in Auto versus spending time with the settings and the hassle of changing iso and filters each time you face away from the sun etc.  It really doesn't take much time to swap filters or change settings but I seem to enjoy my OP much better in Auto.  It's nice to know the settings are there when I need them and same with the filters.  
2019-4-26
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

Tide Posted at 4-25 03:19
Wise man speaks!

Well, I doubt that I'm wise. Just trying to relax and have fun using the OP (works quite well I might add).
2019-5-8
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

MKosmo Posted at 4-25 13:09

2019-5-8
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

Joemar7 Posted at 4-26 08:00
This is by far the best tip in this forum.  Don't get me wrong, I own many accessories including filters and believe me, I hardly use any of them.  I use the filters maybe 10% of the time.    I now enjoy the feeling of turning on the OP and start recording immediately in Auto versus spending time with the settings and the hassle of changing iso and filters each time you face away from the sun etc.  It really doesn't take much time to swap filters or change settings but I seem to enjoy my OP much better in Auto.  It's nice to know the settings are there when I need them and same with the filters.

Thanks! Glad to be able to contribute a little bit to the OP community.
2019-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules