Drone for Live broadcast
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Village Video
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23301 ft
United States

New to the forum
Looking to buy a low latency drone with a very bright screen and HDSDI output that I can send to networks 1080I not p
All stations use 1080i format EXCEPT Fox & ESPN/ABC They are 720p (BTW I am licensed in both @ 2.4 6.4 & 7GHz if thats an option)
Thanks in advance Site was recommended by an ABC Pilot
Bob
2019-4-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You should explore using something like a DJI Inspire aircraft carry a custom camera and transmission system. None of DJI's consumer models do SDI output, and the transmission channel is barely qualified for live TV work. It is normally 720p, but can switch to 1080p on the Phantom 4 models, however it is not available as an interlaced signal.
2019-4-24
Use props
Village Video
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-24 13:50
You should explore using something like a DJI Inspire aircraft carry a custom camera and transmission system. None of DJI's consumer models do SDI output, and the transmission channel is barely qualified for live TV work. It is normally 720p, but can switch to 1080p on the Phantom 4 models, however it is not available as an interlaced signal.

I hear ABC is using a Phantom with a controller with HDSDI But not sure which one
2019-4-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Village Video Posted at 4-24 15:26
I hear ABC is using a Phantom with a controller with HDSDI But not sure which one

The only way they could get an SDI output is by fitting the RC Unit with HDMI output and then using a HDMI to SDI translater. But it is still progressive scan, not interlaced. And the video feed is of relatively low quality, subject to interference and glitches inherant in the transmission scheme. On the other hand, TV networks have historically been quite slack in terms of what they will accept for broadcast. Witness the phone footage they put to air.
2019-4-24
Use props
Village Video
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-24 15:41
The only way they could get an SDI output is by fitting the RC Unit with HDMI output and then using a HDMI to SDI translater. But it is still progressive scan, not interlaced. And the video feed is of relatively low quality, subject to interference and glitches inherant in the transmission scheme. On the other hand, TV networks have historically been quite slack in terms of what they will accept for broadcast. Witness the phone footage they put to air.

The op told me they do make a controller with HDSDI for the Phantom ABC supposedly has them in their fleet However they are a 720p network Not sure if this was a build for ABC or just not advertised
2019-4-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Village Video Posted at 4-24 16:30
The op told me they do make a controller with HDSDI for the Phantom ABC supposedly has them in their fleet However they are a 720p network Not sure if this was a build for ABC or just not advertised

Who is the 'op' you mention? It is not hard to convert HDMI to SDI, Blackmagic make a low cost converter for that, I would imagine that DJI did not make anything to do the job as a special order.
2019-4-24
Use props
Village Video
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-24 16:44
Who is the 'op' you mention? It is not hard to convert HDMI to SDI, Blackmagic make a low cost converter for that, I would imagine that DJI did not make anything to do the job as a special order.

Prefer not to say He Recommended this site LW initials if your Nabet Well aware of BM & AJA He is NOT using them HDSDI straight out of  the controller I was lead to believe the whole abc fleet is that way but as my wife says "I'm usually wrong" Had a shot for NBC once and the crew was terrible Would like to be able to do a feed over microwave or via satellite for News emergencies without needing HDMI to SDI converter & power I believe the ABC fleet is all DJI and Phantoms but not sure which one they use
2019-4-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Village Video Posted at 4-24 17:29
Prefer not to say He Recommended this site LW initials if your Nabet Well aware of BM & AJA He is NOT using them HDSDI straight out of  the controller I was lead to believe the whole abc fleet is that way but as my wife says "I'm usually wrong" Had a shot for NBC once and the crew was terrible Would like to be able to do a feed over microwave or via satellite for News emergencies without needing HDMI to SDI converter & power I believe the ABC fleet is all DJI and Phantoms but not sure which one they use

I can't say for sure, but I would think that DJI would try to discourage pro users from using the Phantom platform, and I have never heard of SDI being output from the controller.
2019-4-24
Use props
Village Video
lvl.2
United States

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=139526
Here they are talking about HDSDI
2019-11-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Village Video Posted at 11-12 18:55
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=139526
Here they are talking about HDSDI

Yes, they are using DJI's Cendence remote controller and probably an Inspire aircraft. It does not work with the Phantom aircraft, and is quite expensive.
2019-11-13
Use props
UtsavChopra30
lvl.1

India

Have anyone got success in it? If not you may try the turnkey solution for Free - you can get FlytNow solution for free as of now they are providing uses free access to fight COVID. So if you have a similar use case then you can get it from https://flytnow.com/drones-for-coronavirus/ other users can get free trial account for 28 days. Maybe you can test your use case for LIVE Broadcast from drone.

I hope I have helped you in any way.
2020-4-1
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-4-6
Use props
Village Video
lvl.2
United States

I purchased the Hollyland 400 Took the transmitter and connected it to the smart controller Tx takes HDMI OR HDSDI
Rx does the same outputs either or both  HDMI / HDSDI So you can connect the HDMI to a monitor and transmit the HDSDI
I took the system outside and sent the signal to a IP Broadcast encoder Then sent the signal to NY from Virginia
Delay was between 1.25 & 1.3 seconds Not too shabby
Using 1080i @ 60 FPS (A common broadcast standard)
2020-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules