GO 4 RAM consumption
1904 13 2019-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ThatChapSparky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10981 ft
United Kingdom

I am looking at phones to use with GO 4 & Spark.  I can't find this information here; how much RAM will DJI GO 4 use on your phone?

Thanks.

2019-4-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day ThatChapSparky. Thank you for reaching out and thank you for the inquiry. I would recommend purchasing or using a recommended mobile device for your DJI Spark for compatibility and reliability on both the drone and of the DJI Go 4 application. These devices are tested by our DJI R&D Team to be able to work properly on the said drone. I will be posting the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Spark. Thank you.

2019-4-25
Use props
ThatChapSparky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-25 08:06
Hello and good day ThatChapSparky. Thank you for reaching out and thank you for the inquiry. I would recommend purchasing or using a recommended mobile device for your DJI Spark for compatibility and reliability on both the drone and of the DJI Go 4 application. These devices are tested by our DJI R&D Team to be able to work properly on the said drone. I will be posting the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Spark. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thanks, but I am looking for the actual RAM consumption of the app, not to look at different phones.

Thank you.
2019-4-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ThatChapSparky Posted at 4-25 08:19
Thanks, but I am looking for the actual RAM consumption of the app, not to look at different phones.

Thank you.

You're most welcome. May I know if you're only using the APP with no other background software running on your device? Kindly provide the specs of your phone/tablet. Also, we need the Android/ IOS and DJI Go 4 App version you are currently using. It is important to know this because the speed of the other components of your device like the processor and the likes may still affect the process. Once I have those information, I will forward this query to our related team so that I can provide you more accurate answer. We normally require our consumer to at-least have  6, 4 or 3 GB ram on their mobile/tablet device  for the APP to properly work.
2019-4-25
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

iOS has lesser problems, Droids have more. Calculate minimum 3 or better 4GB Ram, cause Droid is occupying a lot itself
2019-4-25
Use props
ThatChapSparky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-25 10:01
You're most welcome. May I know if you're only using the APP with no other background software running on your device? Kindly provide the specs of your phone/tablet. Also, we need the Android/ IOS and DJI Go 4 App version you are currently using. It is important to know this because the speed of the other components of your device like the processor and the likes may still affect the process. Once I have those information, I will forward this query to our related team so that I can provide you more accurate answer. We normally require our consumer to at-least have  6, 4 or 3 GB ram on their mobile/tablet device  for the APP to properly work.

I have the Xiaomi Redmi 7 ─ I know it's not on your supported devices list but it was only released in March, and it's pretty quick anyway.  I was thinking of installing GO 4 and using it with my Spark.  here are the specifications:

Android 9 Pie (with MI UI 9 skin)
Qualcomm SDM632 Snapdragon 632 (14 nm)
Octa-core (4x1.8 GHz Kryo 250 Gold & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 250 Silver)
Adreno 506 GPU
3GB RAM
Compass
A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS

From GSM Arena .https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_7-9498.php
2019-4-25
Use props
nilanjan118
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

ThatChapSparky Posted at 4-25 22:39
I have the Xiaomi Redmi 7 ─ I know it's not on your supported devices list but it was only released in March, and it's pretty quick anyway.  I was thinking of installing GO 4 and using it with my Spark.  here are the specifications:

Android 9 Pie (with MI UI 9 skin)

I have no issue running Go4 on my Moto E4 Plus which is a lower spec device than yours. I don't remember the exact specs now buy you can google it. So I think your phone should not have any issues.
2019-4-25
Use props
Gryphon962
lvl.2
Flight distance : 623 ft

United States

Hi, new member here. I have a similar problem - I want to purchase a Spark, but my Nokia 6.1 is not on the recommended list. However, it is an AndroidOne phone so no bloatware or phone vendor customization of the OS.

OS        - Android 9.0 (Pie); Android One
Chipset        - Qualcomm SDM630 Snapdragon 630
CPU - Octa-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A53
GPU - Adreno 508
RAM - 3GB

Is anyone else running an AndroidOne phone with 3GB successfully with the Spark?
2019-5-5
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 415630 ft
United States

I had a turbo 2 with 3gb of ram and it worked ok. I had  problems with the phone actually thermal throttling on hot days but that was a common problem with phones using the snapdragon 810 and not a problem with the ram.
2019-5-5
Use props
tgjgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14183 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-25 08:06
Hello and good day ThatChapSparky. Thank you for reaching out and thank you for the inquiry. I would recommend purchasing or using a recommended mobile device for your DJI Spark for compatibility and reliability on both the drone and of the DJI Go 4 application. These devices are tested by our DJI R&D Team to be able to work properly on the said drone. I will be posting the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Spark. Thank you.

[view_image]

Dear DJI,

It is a total mind boggling miracle that you can put a flying brick up 200 feet in the air  and keep it under control, but I am much less impressed with how you struggle to be able to clearly state requirements for your app.

I was also very impressed with my first call for support and your staff was extremely friendly and did not skimp on time as we walked thru my issue  (FS crashing) and verified  my conclusions. However, after consulting with the back end the rep simply said that my device was not in the supported list.

Most Spark owners are not able or inclined to spend an additional $300+ on a phone to run your app.

Unless your app is making  restricted calls to low level phone firmware - it is total madness to test individual phones and list them all. I suggest you do this instead, with the Spark model in mind but would apply in general to your other AC's.

Develop a small app that runs on Android using only the API exposed by the Android SDK that determines if the phone and its current OS has the hardware requirements needed to fly successfully and run the Flight Simulator program. And perhaps there lies the problem..

Was the Go App developed using the SDK alone?

If it was then surely you can state the memory, processing and graphics requirements and save yourself  the burden of having to test the app on every phone it is going to run on. Can you imagine Microsoft doing that?

At least do it for the Spark - with the lower video resolution and reduced feature set- the requirements should be less than those for a more advanced model.

That's one user's feedback.
Thanks.
2019-5-6
Use props
tgjgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14183 ft
United States

Gryphon962 Posted at 5-5 08:31
Hi, new member here. I have a similar problem - I want to purchase a Spark, but my Nokia 6.1 is not on the recommended list. However, it is an AndroidOne phone so no bloatware or phone vendor customization of the OS.

OS        - Android 9.0 (Pie); Android One

I tried a Motorola Moto G6 from Tracfone with 3GB mem and a 1.8 Ghz Octa core with Android 8.
Though I was able to enter camera view on the Spark - I was reluctant to take it out for a flight because the Go App 4 would crash and hang the phone when trying to use the 'Academy' flight simulator.
So it simply gave me no confidence and I returned the phone.

If you look at DJI's recommended list you are going to find 4GB is the lowest denominator, though I know of people who have flown without problems using a phone with 2GB.

You might still however encounter problems using a model that is not on the list and be left out hanging. I hope DJI is able to allocate resources to look into problems which are really there and might also surface on phones from their approved list if they investigated enough.

I am having such a problem which I submitted a post for in the Go App forum after realizing that this was the official place for DJI to look into problems. I had posted on another Spark site and found very helpful responses but of course they are not in a position to determine if the problem is due to a Go App defect.

You can see more details on my issue here:
https://forum.phantomhelp.com/t/ ... ck-live-flight/2943

It also appears to me that Android 7 is probably what DJI has tested mostly on.

good luck.
2019-5-6
Use props
ThatChapSparky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

tgjgold Posted at 5-6 09:04
I tried a Motorola Moto G6 from Tracfone with 3GB mem and a 1.8 Ghz Octa core with Android 8.
Though I was able to enter camera view on the Spark - I was reluctant to take it out for a flight because the Go App 4 would crash and hang the phone when trying to use the 'Academy' flight simulator.
So it simply gave me no confidence and I returned the phone.

Update─I installed GO 4 and flights were without issue.  I was a bit concerned about the price of £120/$152 but I guess I was wrong.

I have also found that many people bark up the wrong tree about RAM.  When I was researching, it was all about the RAM for me, but this is incorrect.

The CHIPSET is the real cause of concern.  Mine was running a Qualcomm Snapdragon 632, which is a newer mid-range processor which did the job well.  In your case, the Moto G6 runs a Snapdragon 450, which is older and uses outdated technology─that's why it didn't cut it.

My advice is this:  When looking for a phone, FOCUS ON THE CHIPSET.  As long as your chip is good, 3GB or more should be great.

Thanks.
2019-5-18
Use props
ThatChapSparky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi, new member here. I have a similar problem - I want to purchase a Spark, but my Nokia 6.1 is not on the recommended list. However, it is an AndroidOne phone so no bloatware or phone vendor customization of the OS.

OS        - Android 9.0 (Pie); Android One

The 6.1 with a Snapdragon 630 should get the job done, and done well.  As mentioned in my reply to tgjgold, think less about the RAM, more about the chipset.  This would be my priority list:

Chipset/hardware
Software/OS
RAM
Newness of device.

Hope this helps.
2019-5-18
Use props
ThatChapSparky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi, new member here. I have a similar problem - I want to purchase a Spark, but my Nokia 6.1 is not on the recommended list. However, it is an AndroidOne phone so no bloatware or phone vendor customization of the OS.

OS        - Android 9.0 (Pie); Android One

The 6.1 with a Snapdragon 630 should get the job done, and done well.  As mentioned in my reply to tgjgold, think less about the RAM, more about the chipset.  This would be my priority list:

Chipset/hardware
Software/OS
RAM
Newness of device.

Hope this helps.
2019-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules