Controller Modification
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Millardo
lvl.3
United States

Has anyone figured out how to modify one of the left or right sticks to a “ratchet” type action? As a posed to the stock return to neutral spring action?

I use a flight simulator that has a controller with this type of action on the left side stick for the throttle/ assent and decent control, and I really like the ability to
set a steady assent or decent.

Has anyone had a bad experience with this kind of setup?
2019-4-26
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

That's pretty standard for fixed wing model aircraft TX. The assemblies for the joysticks are all pretty standardized, I'm sure you could remove the centering spring but it wont have the "ratcheting" type retainment of position unless you add that mechanism
2019-4-26
Use props
Millardo
lvl.3
United States

HyperSpectral Posted at 4-26 08:37
That's pretty standard for fixed wing model aircraft TX. The assemblies for the joysticks are all pretty standardized, I'm sure you could remove the centering spring but it wont have the "ratcheting" type retainment of position unless you add that mechanism

Thanks HyperSpectral, that was my thinking regarding the spring also. But I wouldn’t know where to start with the ratcheting mechanism.
I have searched quite extensively, and I can’t believe other operators haven’t made this mod for their drone transmitters.

2019-4-26
Use props
Millardo
lvl.3
United States

HyperSpectral Posted at 4-26 08:37

Thanks HyperSpectral, that was my thinking regarding the spring also. But I wouldn’t know where to start with the ratcheting mechanism.
I have searched quite extensively, and I can’t believe other operators haven’t made this mod for their drone transmitters.

2019-4-26
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

Millardo Posted at 4-26 21:35

Hmm, try looking for videos of the disassembly of the TX and go from there. I'm sure its been done but maybe its not online yet. You should be able to compare to a video of a "classic" tx being changed from centered to ratcheting starting at the bottom as 0.
2019-4-29
Use props
Jefferey Drone Pilot 3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48465 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just take apart and remove the ratchet  
2019-5-10
Use props
DroneBandit
lvl.1
United States

Jefferey Drone Pilot 3 Posted at 5-10 14:08
Just take apart and remove the ratchet

"Just take apart and remove the ratchet "

2019-5-15
Use props
Millardo
lvl.3

DroneBandit Posted at 5-15 19:06
"Just take apart and remove the ratchet "

I want to ADD a ratchet...
2019-9-22
Use props
Millardo
lvl.3
United States

Looking for posts on controller modifications. Like different spring tensions for pitch vs roll, etc.
2020-3-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You're asking for feature manageable by experienced pilots only. Return to neutral spring action was implemented for safety when flying in GPS controlled P-Mode. Released sticks will result in brake and hover. However, I think that such modification is possible by simply removing the springs. The most difficult part will be to introduce some sort of friction to stick's pivots. High viscosity silicone lubricant? Hobby suppliers may have such. Good luck.
2020-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules