Mavic Air Battery Problem after latest firmware update
1374 7 2019-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4e01f8d4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4341640 ft
United States

If there is and administrator monitoring, I would appreicate if there is anything way you can assist with CAS-2981572-X6G3P7. The initial flight dat analysis came back pilot error; howerver, there was a battery problem after the firmware update.

I am an ten-year, experienced drone pilot and  was flying out into the wind ( SE at 6mph) This is a familiar route and 50% battery to return is more than enough, especially with a tailwind. The craft routinely flies 17-18 minutes in P Mode so with the flight-time of only  13:20 is far short of normal. There should have been nearly 5 minutes of flight-time left, which is more than enough to make it back in the conditions.

The percentage dropped instantly from 50% to 45% then to 14% in about 2.7 minutes with loss of  control and forced landing. When the aircraft started to force land at 14% battery, it turned around 180 degrees by itself  and  flew away. I  looked for 4 hours in the last know coordinates in the flight log but no luck. I flew the same route the day before on the old firmware, the same battery, and same conditions with no problems. Even with a forced landing, had I been able to control the aircraft and piont the gimbal down, I could have recovered the aircraft.

At one point the drone turned turning around by itself  and I had no control over the aircraft or could not piont the gimbal down to see exactly were it was going to land. The percentage drop was not normal for P Mode, dropping over 36% in 3 minutes in Position Mode, which triggered the forced landing at 14%. The normal behavior is  he ability to prevent forced landing by pushing the left stick forward so the craft can land safetly. This did not occur. The craft was connected and I tried to prevent immediate landing to go to an immediate place for recovery.

Pleas assist.

2019-4-27
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Upload your flight logs here for analysis. There are some tech savvy people on here that should be able to give you an idea of what went wrong.
2019-4-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry for your loss and the warranty service cannot be provided, I see the higher level team is following up your case, I will verify with them and come back to you soon. Please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-4-28
Use props
Cepheroh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1691959 ft

Singapore

Do a regular check on the casing of your Mavic batteries incase of any swelling. Its a common rootcause of battery failure. Hope you get back your drone soon
2019-4-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi there, thanks for your patience, we have verified with the data analysis and here is the explanation of your concern.

1. The percentage dropped instantly from 50% to 45% then to 14% in about 2.7 minutes.
The power dropped from 50% to 45% because you flew too far away, the signal was interrupted for a few seconds, so the time jumped, and the power we see seems to drop instantly. The flight time was not long as before is due to you were flying against the wind, there was also the high wind warning popped up in the APP, the aircraft was affected by the wind and battery consumed fast, which is normal, but it does not mean there was a battery problem after the firmware update.

2. The normal behavior is the ability to prevent forced landing by pushing the left stick forward so the craft can land safely. This did not occur.
The normal landing speed should be 3m/s, according to the flight records at 13:05, you pushed the left stick, the vertical speed has become 0.6m/s, it has been slowed down, but you released the joysticks later.

3. It turned around 180 degrees by itself and flew away.
When the landing was triggered in RTH, the aircraft was designed to keep the direction the same as when the RTH was triggered. that's why it turned the orientation.

The main cause of the incident is the misoperation under improper environment, we do not recommend to keep flying in high wind environment, sorry that the warranty service cannot be provided, hope for your understanding.

2019-4-29
Use props
fans21618e60
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-29 00:15
Hi there, thanks for your patience, we have verified with the data analysis and here is the explanation of your concern.

1. The percentage dropped instantly from 50% to 45% then to 14% in about 2.7 minutes.

The flight out was against the wind. When the power dropped so quickly, I was flyings with the wind. I had flown the same route under similar conditions a couple of days before and it made it back with 20% left. As for the turning around, it flew the opposite way as when the RTH was triggered. The craft would not respond to controls and I could not point the gimbal down to see the exact landing point.
2019-4-29
Use props
fans21618e60
lvl.2
United States

fans21618e60 Posted at 4-29 07:47
The flight out was against the wind. When the power dropped so quickly, I was flyings with the wind. I had flown the same route under similar conditions a couple of days before and it made it back with 20% left. As for the turning around, it flew the opposite way as when the RTH was triggered. The craft would not respond to controls and I could not point the gimbal down to see the exact landing point.

Also, looking at the flight log, it show the tailwind as the pitch was is below the center line. There was 50% battery at RTH and flying with the wind it should have had plenty to make it back.
2019-4-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans21618e60 Posted at 4-29 07:52
Also, looking at the flight log, it show the tailwind as the pitch was is below the center line. There was 50% battery at RTH and flying with the wind it should have had plenty to make it back.

Hi there, if you don't mind, we can post the screenshot of the flight records here for further explanation. Please let us know if you agree or not.
2019-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules