You Can't Fly Here.
5523 16 2019-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BatStryker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 338812 ft
United States

How many of us have heard this either from passers-by or from authorities?
I was recently getting some shots on the beach here in Venice CA. there is a narrow strip of "warning area" between LAX and the Santa Monica Airport. Since it is a warning area and not a No Fly Zone (NFZ) I am only required to file my flight plan on the FAA B4U Fly app.  I am also flying over water, so I am not flying over people, and this was early in the morning, so, no surfers yet.
So, I'm actually finished shooting and am packing up my aircraft and equipment, when a lifeguard rolls up in his red Toyota Four Runner. For those that don't know. The LA County Lifeguards are actually part of the LA County Fire Dept. "You're not allowed to fly drones here.", he says. Several responses flash through my mind; "Where does it say that?" "I filed my flight plan with the FAA, and I'm not flying over people, and I think the ocean is scarcely populated" etc. Instead, I just said "I'm packing up..." as what would be the point in debating the issue since I'm finished. Although I still would like to learn, what rule, article or ordinance, the lifeguard was referring to, and what sort of citation he might issue? So, he seems happy with my response, and says "Have a nice day."
Has anyone else had this sort of experience? What if anything did you do about it?
Thanks

2019-4-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're hoping that you could get the best feedback that you may need in regards to what you've experienced when flying in a particular location. We would recommend abiding by our local policies when in terms of flying the drone to have a peaceful flight. Cheers!
2019-4-28
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like you did all the right things. Had a similar experience where I'm from. Local LG on duty said the same thing even though the area was definitely even less populated than Venice Beach and I was also flying over water near the beach. I packed up and left. There are plenty of other areas to fly so that's what I did. Not worth the headaches.
2019-4-28
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

People love to control others. You were at the beach where this POS is authority and he tried to control you.

If you really want to be left alone invest in some “authority gear”.
4 small cones or red flags poles. Yellow caution tape. Yellow “Drone Pilot. Do not disturb” vest. As well as some “official” printout on who you are and what authorizations you got.

I bet you not only you will be left alone , no one will even talking to you.

With this hobby you gotta be proactive. All I hear when I am operating drone from controller mounted to tripod inside my safety flags : “Some serious/professional setup “. That is all.

Some people not brave enough. It’s understandable. Pack up and leave is also an option.
2019-4-28
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Bottom Line (for now) is that drones are the new boogey men.  It is still a fresh industry and interest.  The FAA has some solid guidance, but unfortunately, people and local authorities are not educated on FAA guidance (possibly due to nowhere near enough man power to enforce and educate the masses), and they make decisions, based on their own opinions.  This is disastrous when local law enforcement is not even trained up on official federal policy.  Here in NYC, the NYPD is usually all too eager to clamp down on things in their own manner.  Once I get my Airman Certificate card, I'll have it in an armband, while wearing a custom safety vest.  It's a bit demeaning and old to feel like you gotta 'sneak around' to do something without dubious intent.  I do agree that people just want to control others as well.
2019-4-30
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Always stand up for your rights - as has been said here. Others are all too eager to project their perceived 'power' - especially when there's a 'grey area', and the public mood is 'anti' everything these days. Point being, if one doesn't make a stand, then it will just be more difficult for the next person to do that when challenged in such a way.
2019-5-1
Use props
BatStryker
lvl.2
United States

3BEPb Posted at 4-28 13:44
People love to control others. You were at the beach where this POS is authority and he tried to control you.

If you really want to be left alone invest in some “authority gear”.

Definitely sounds like a good idea. Thanks
2019-5-2
Use props
BatStryker
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, guys Some good advise and feedback here. Thanks
2019-5-2
Use props
D2_cayde
lvl.4
United States

no, but i do this for extra caution, when i fly somewhere with my drone i always ask the person in charge if its okay to fly it, most of them said yes but rarely no but in your case i would look up the beach regulations before flying
2019-5-8
Use props
fredyt123
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1780436 ft
United States

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to take time to update for newbies or those seeking updated info.  YOU CAN FLY AT VENICE BEACH.  The airspace is controlled by Santa Monica Airport so as a precaution I would recommend you use LAANCE to obtain approval.  Now, the altitude limit is limited to  50 feet.  Also while I saw several lifeguards driving their red trucks,  I departed my aircraft near the bicycle path (while it was clear).  I had my FAA certificate in my pouch as well as LAANC approval on my phone in the event I was challenged but nobody engaged and I stayed within the boundaries to make sure I had a successful flight.
2022-3-14
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

Now, the altitude limit is limited to  50 feet.

I'm sure the lifeguards are equally authoritative towards kite flyers...
2022-3-15
Use props
charliebravo_at
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239436 ft
Germany

I've a question here:
Local rules are saying, that a flight within 5 Miles of any airport is prohibited.
As I read this, that rule is independent of LAANC...
So am I really allowed to fly there since LAX is closer.
2023-4-29
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

So many people that like to assert you do not have a right to fly.  Sometimes they just need to be asked why, and to please document it in writing.
2023-4-29
Use props
charliebravo_at
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239436 ft
Germany

So that means I am allowed, even within the 5 miles (of course only when LAANC is approved)?
2023-4-30
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've only ever had one occasion where a random dude told me drones weren't allowed (I was flying in a National Forest, he wrongly thought it was a National Park). I'm very careful about drone laws, and knew that I was in the right, so I argued a bit with him, but though he went away he obviously didn't believe me.

Whenever possible, I try to pick a concealed takeoff/landing location to avoid the nosy parkers, karens, and wannabe rangers. Additionally, I make a great effort not to fly within earshot of other people. It's definitely tricky to do all this in a location like the beach, particularly if there aren't any handy dunes with tall grass. I would certainly expect the most trouble from someone like a lifeguard who A, doesn't know anything about drones or the rules regarding them, and B, has let their teeny tiny sliver of authority go to their head. "I'm just packing up" is definitely the best response you could have given in order to avoid an argument with someone who's inflated ego likely won't allow them to admit that they're in the wrong.
2023-4-30
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I think this is simply the result of two decades of people doing the wrong things.. Now we are paying the price... As a result, there are no many places left around where people live that you can fly, and the circle is getting smaller and smaller by the day.. The entire western society works like this anyway, not just for the drones...

Even if the few now are trying to do the right thing and going by the books, as you can see, it is a little too late...
2023-4-30
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

charliebravo_at Posted at 4-30 05:43
So that means I am allowed, even within the 5 miles (of course only when LAANC is approved)?

this is my understanding:   once upon a time before laanc was a service for recreational pilot, the rules said no recreational drones flights within 5 miles of an airport.  that rule went away and recreational pilots got laanc which provides a means to gain approval to fly in controlled airspace.  anyone who hates drone will repeat the 5 mile rule because it is more restrictive and there is no obvious or strong tie to laanc.  even some drone flyers today still think you cannot fly within 5 miles of an airport or you need to call the tower and get approval.  i guess those tales will live forever.
2023-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules