Beep Option in Japan
1266 26 2019-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse8787caa
lvl.2
United States

DJI friends...

US tourist that went to Japan. Used the pocket for a day in Tokyo, without the annoying beep noise (I deactivated it when the firmware came out).

Then I connected it to my phone and the beep sound came back. No longer in the settings, can’t turn it off now.

As I’ve come to read and learn, Asia disallows turning off the shutter sounds in cameras, etc.

Now how do I got about getting this option back in my menu, immediately?

If I can’t turn this off, this device has just become useless and ready to return it.

Thank you
2019-4-28
Use props
fanse8787caa
lvl.2
United States

I bought this device in the US with the feature to turn off the beep. I actually bought as soon as the firmware was released that allows it to be turned off.

So if I had used the Osmo Pocket without connecting it to my phone, it would’ve been fine the entire time but since I connected it to my phone, you disabled features.

This makes no sense at all. Restrict it by where the device is activated maybe, but don’t just go turning off features like this...
2019-4-28
Use props
fanse8787caa
lvl.2
United States

If you buy a pack of cigarettes at the airport in US and travel to Japan, will the cigarettes self destruct if you try to smoke one on a street where smoking isn’t allowed? No... so don’t be doing this kind of stupidity with your products.
2019-4-28
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi, do you still in Japan now? According to the industry regulation, the beep sound can't be turned off in the Japan area, we are sorry for this situation.
2019-4-28
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

When you go back to US, your cigarettes will be inside your pocket again.
2019-4-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, according to the Japanese laws and regulations, the shutter sound must be turned on, therefore, we canceled the 'turn off the recording beep sound' button when the device is recognized in Japan, thanks for your understanding.
2019-4-28
Use props
fanse8787caa
lvl.2
Japan

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-28 19:25
Hi there, according to the Japanese laws and regulations, the shutter sound must be turned on, therefore, we canceled the 'turn off the recording beep sound' button when the device is recognized in Japan, thanks for your understanding.

Makes no sense. So a Japanese resident can come to the USA, connect the Osmo to their phone, get the option activated and then go back to Japan and just never connect it to their phone and be able to keep the beep off...

What about all other camera devices without GPS/Data capabilities, how do they enforce those devices to keep their shutter sound?

Again... makes no sense.

Are cars speed limited so they don’t go above the speed limit... I would love to meet the idiot(s) that thought/approved such a regulation.
2019-4-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fanse8787caa Posted at 4-29 00:11
Makes no sense. So a Japanese resident can come to the USA, connect the Osmo to their phone, get the option activated and then go back to Japan and just never connect it to their phone and be able to keep the beep off...

What about all other camera devices without GPS/Data capabilities, how do they enforce those devices to keep their shutter sound?

Theoretically speaking, that is correct, but when your mobile connects to the local network, then connect Osmo Pocket to the phone, the nation code will be synced, beep sound button will be canceled. We must comply with local laws and regulations, your understanding will be much appreciated.
2019-4-29
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Oh god ... peep not deactivated ... world goes under.
WHY you do not stay at home - each airplane passenger
pollutes air and contributes to climate shock!
2019-4-29
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

fanse8787caa Posted at 4-29 00:11

Please take this reply in the spirit in which it is intended.  Stop acting like a stupid American.  The "argument" you are posing makes no sense.  You are/were in a country/culture that sets its' rules.   Contrary to our Orange President, we don't impose our preferences or rules on them, anymore that -when a citizen of Japan- imposes their rules on us.  
Therefore your only alternative is to return your device and you won't need to participate in the forum anymore.
2019-4-29
Use props
Emmy808
lvl.1

Japan

fanse8787caa Posted at 4-28 17:51
I bought this device in the US with the feature to turn off the beep. I actually bought as soon as the firmware was released that allows it to be turned off.

So if I had used the Osmo Pocket without connecting it to my phone, it would’ve been fine the entire time but since I connected it to my phone, you disabled features.

Did you update the firmware while in Japan? Or did your settings change by simply connecting the phone?
2019-4-29
Use props
fanse8787caa
lvl.2
United States

WebParrot Posted at 4-29 05:16
Please take this reply in the spirit in which it is intended.  Stop acting like a stupid American.  The "argument" you are posing makes no sense.  You are/were in a country/culture that sets its' rules.   Contrary to our Orange President, we don't impose our preferences or rules on them, anymore that -when a citizen of Japan- imposes their rules on us.  
Therefore your only alternative is to return your device and you won't need to participate in the forum anymore.

So you all think that it’s alright to buy something with a particular feature and have it deactivated because you’re in a different country than where you purchased it?

@DJI where is this in the release notes or manual?

I’m all for following rules and regulations, fully respect that is the reality in Japan or wherever this might apply. My surprise and evident frustration is coming from the technical implementation of this regulation in the device.

One could simply never connect the Pocket to the phone, it has no way of knowing which region it’s in, why do it IF you connect it to your phone.

Also, why is it that I’m roaming, connected to a local network and all, yet my shutter noise remains off on my phones? Are phone manufacturers not required to bake these restrictions into their devices or are they simply non-compliant..

2019-4-29
Use props
fanse8787caa
lvl.2
United States

Emmy808 Posted at 4-29 08:51
Did you update the firmware while in Japan? Or did your settings change by simply connecting the phone?

Just simply connecting it to the phone.
2019-4-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

fanse8787caa Posted at 4-29 12:50
So you all think that it’s alright to buy something with a particular feature and have it deactivated because you’re in a different country than where you purchased it?

I think you have phrased the question the wrong way around.
Do you think it right to operate a device contradictory to local laws? Even if it had never been altered by connecting it to your phone? They have a particular problem with upskirting in Japan and sounding off makes you sound creepy. I'm sorry to say that, but that's the way it's coming across regardless of your motive to sound off which is probably a genuinely good reason.
2019-4-29
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

As long as I understand, it is more like a government recommendation and not enforced or banned by law.
So how to comply with the recommendation and the way of implement is up to each company's decision.
However all phone manufacturers are comply with it and their Japan phones are unable to turn the shutter sound off globally.
Guessing in perspective from Japanese users, they might be glad that they can turn it off outside of Japan.

There is no clear way to cut it and it is bad that you had a surprise without the warning. But you can think that some restriction and complying with local rule is also a part of the traveling experience.
2019-4-29
Use props
fanse8787caa
lvl.2
Japan

Very good points by everyone, thanks for your opinion.

I hate that it came off as disrespecting the local law, since that couldn’t be further away than who I am. I make sure to research any place I go to and make sure I’m compliant with local laws and overall not being an obnoxious tourist.

In all my research, nowhere did I find a place that encouraged we enable a shutter sound on all our camera devices to stay compliant with all local laws, but I get it, maybe DJI doesn’t really have to but do want to make an effort to have this regulation enforced. Or they’re simply required to and that’s that.

I guess it was just frustrating to suddenly have the annoying beep back. I’m a person that got rid of my DSLR and got a mirrorless, so I wouldn’t bother people with the true mechanical shutter sound.

Thanks for your feedback everyone, sorry for being the “stupid American”
2019-4-29
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

you are right, you can go speeding in Japan, however, all cars have a Limited Top Speed (180km/h) in Japan. EVEN US CAR.
the only exception is USARJ, they can do anything they like in Japan.
poor Japanese

2019-4-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

fanse8787caa Posted at 4-29 23:23

I hate that it came off as disrespecting the local law, since that couldn’t be further away than who I am. I make sure to research any place I go to and make sure I’m compliant with local laws and overall not being an obnoxious tourist.

That's fine, and I can understand the frustration but I was afraid of you putting yourself in a bad light.
I can think of loads of legitimate reasons not to want the beep but even in the UK, we have to be careful not to give the wrong impression when using equipment like this or we could end up with similar laws. As such devices get smaller and more capable these mostly unfounded fears may have to be catered to and find ourselves coming under more scrutiny when out and about.
I hope you can still have a good time with the current limits imposed.
2019-4-30
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Each country has it's laws ... visiting means you must respect these laws.
Crying about beeping OP is like a foot stomping child which does not get his lolly.

2019-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

fanse8787caa Posted at 4-29 23:23

I think it’s fair to say if Japanese people and their government prefer to get a warning that someone may be taking their photo unknown to them, that’s their prerogative , I’m sure as an American you would want visitors to respect the laws of your country, it’s pretty simple .
2019-4-30
Use props
hashiko
lvl.2
United States

Looked on my iPhone > Settings > Privacy > Location Services and it seems you can disable location services for the Mimo app. Without that (since the Pocket doesn't have built in GPS), I wonder if that would stop the Pocket from knowing where it is?  Just a theory... would be get to get some confirmation from someone that maybe traveling between US and Asia. If it's using your IP, then I wonder if using a VPN would work?
Note, I'm just curious and not necessarily trying to circumvent local laws or culture.
2019-4-30
Use props
rubenv
lvl.2
United States

BeterBan Posted at 4-30 11:47
Each country has it's laws ... visiting means you must respect this laws.
[view_image] Crying about beeping OP is like a foot stomping child which does not get his lolly. [view_image]

Go troll somewhere else.
2019-4-30
Use props
rubenv
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-30 14:57
I think it’s fair to say if Japanese people and their government prefer to get a warning that someone may be taking their photo unknown to them, that’s their prerogative , I’m sure as an American you would want visitors to respect the laws of your country, it’s pretty simple .

Not what is in question here. You didn’t read the entire thing, I get it. Worry not friend, you’re right
2019-4-30
Use props
rubenv
lvl.2
United States

hashiko Posted at 4-30 15:25
Looked on my iPhone > Settings > Privacy > Location Services and it seems you can disable location services for the Mimo app. Without that (since the Pocket doesn't have built in GPS), I wonder if that would stop the Pocket from knowing where it is?  Just a theory... would be get to get some confirmation from someone that maybe traveling between US and Asia. If it's using your IP, then I wonder if using a VPN would work?
Note, I'm just curious and not necessarily trying to circumvent local laws or culture.

Funny enough, minutes after my initial post, I found what ties it. It’s a combination of a few things.
With all the sensitive flowers around here, I won’t go into detail on exactly how it works, but will say that you’ll need to disable all possible ways the phone can get your location.
2019-4-30
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

fanse8787caa Posted at 4-29 12:50

Try this on for size.  You buy a quadcopter.... say... a DJI Product.  And when and where you purchase it there are no flight restrictions.  You take that quad on vacation to .... say, the Philippines -which has very restrictive laws about flying over certain monuments.  Are you proclaiming that those laws don't apply to you because you bought it in another country?  If so, that's an absurd argument.  The toy camera you bought ( the OP ) honored the laws of another country by disabling the beep.  Honor the country, respect their rules.
2019-5-1
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Agree! Agree! Agree!

Some people (especially tourists) believe/think/say
2019-5-1
Use props
rubenv
lvl.2
United States

WebParrot Posted at 5-1 08:31
Try this on for size.  You buy a quadcopter.... say... a DJI Product.  And when and where you purchase it there are no flight restrictions.  You take that quad on vacation to .... say, the Philippines -which has very restrictive laws about flying over certain monuments.  Are you proclaiming that those laws don't apply to you because you bought it in another country?  If so, that's an absurd argument.  The toy camera you bought ( the OP ) honored the laws of another country by disabling the beep.  Honor the country, respect their rules.

Oh yes, you’re the drone type. Yes sir, you’re absolutely right, thank you for putting me in my place. Now disable your beep and go fly your drone.
2019-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules