Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark 2? Coming Soon?...
12Next >
12972 54 2019-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's a lot of buzz brewing about how DJI in May will release a new updated version to the Spark line, a DJI Spark 2? Question: Will DJI unleash the Spark 2 and what kind of operational improvements will this version feature from its predecessor? Will it have additional obstacle avoidance capability? Will it have the new OcuSync 2.0 or enhanced WiFi transmission? Will it shoot 4K video at 60fps? Will there be a 3-axis gimble? Will it fly for 20 minutes?

These are all possible features of the new Spark 2, but what (if any) feature from above would you most want to see on the Spark 2? Share a suggestion...
2019-4-29
Use props
ViPatrik
lvl.3
Sweden

The spark is an entry level drone on the DJI´s board. Why would they make a cheaper competitive for the Mavic Air or Pro? Why do you all think DJI is so stupid they would make a better drone for half of the price like the Mavic? Everything what is on your wishlist is the Mavic Pro, but you already have one. Or if they make a Spark 2 with these features, then it would cost more than the Mavic, who would buy it? Ok it would be light weight, what is important for the Canadians, but anyone else? DJI has built up beautifully the line of their products. Do you want to try out these hobby: Spark. Do you liked that, and want better quality: Mavic Air. So you want more distance, and more flight time: Mavic Pro. That´s all... Anyway the Spark 2 is a hoax as I know.  
2019-4-29
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ViPatrik Posted at 4-29 20:52
The spark is an entry level drone on the DJI´s board. Why would they make a cheaper competitive for the Mavic Air or Pro? Why do you all think DJI is so stupid they would make a better drone for half of the price like the Mavic? Everything what is on your wishlist is the Mavic Pro, but you already have one. Or if they make a Spark 2 with these features, then it would cost more than the Mavic, who would buy it? Ok it would be light weight, what is important for the Canadians, but anyone else? DJI has built up beautifully the line of their products. Do you want to try out these hobby: Spark. Do you liked that, and want better quality: Mavic Air. So you want more distance, and more flight time: Mavic Pro. That´s all... Anyway the Spark 2 is a hoax as I know.

i think the Spark 2 is a real possibility, remember when the Spark came out in May 2017 and created these new flight features on a budget price. I think DJI will manage to spring in some new features for the first of its kind. I don't think we'll see everyone of those options I described, but asking which ones are most important.
2019-4-29
Use props
Droningalex (Alex B.)
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Spark 2 is coming out. Still enhanced WiFi but longer range 4km fcc mode. Back sensors. Lighter. With gaps in legs to reduce weight. Etc.

Flysafely all
Droningalex aka Alex B.
2019-4-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day David Martin Graff. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. As of the moment we don't have any information regarding DJI's future products, please stay tuned to the latest news and events by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI

Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations
2019-4-30
Use props
Stinger1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 205016 ft
Australia

David Martin Graff Posted at 4-29 23:10
i think the Spark 2 is a real possibility, remember when the Spark came out in May 2017 and created these new flight features on a budget price. I think DJI will manage to spring in some new features for the first of its kind. I don't think we'll see everyone of those options I described, but asking which ones are most important.

Why do we need  a spark 2?  The Spark is the best value entry level drone around. If you want more then buy a Mavic. No point in changing something that works perfectly for its price.
2019-4-30
Use props
gmozo
lvl.4
United States

i really hope they make a spark 2 but why 4 min longer of flight time
2019-4-30
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Stinger1 Posted at 4-30 13:56
Why do we need  a spark 2?  The Spark is the best value entry level drone around. If you want more then buy a Mavic. No point in changing something that works perfectly for its price.

I agree the Spark is the best valued drone, but if you know DJI they always release an addition to the line with the Phantoms, Mavics, Inspire, I don't see why the Spark would be any different?
2019-5-1
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gmozo Posted at 4-30 15:19
i really hope they make a spark 2 but why 4 min longer of flight time

The longer fight time would be useful since 4 more minutes of advertised flight time usually translates to approx. 2 more minutes, etc...
2019-5-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the similarities between how a Spark 2 will look and the Mavic Air lead me to think that a Spark 2 may be a futile production that won't happen - but never say never
2019-5-2
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-2 01:08
I think the similarities between how a Spark 2 will look and the Mavic Air lead me to think that a Spark 2 may be a futile production that won't happen - but never say never

So one operative question: Why would DJI create a Spark in the first place?
2019-5-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 5-2 11:09
So one operative question: Why would DJI create a Spark in the first place?

As an entry level selfie drone in May 2017 to sit below the Mavic Pro with a cheaper price tag and less features to encapsulate a broader demographic in the market. One could then ask why create the Mavic Air which clearly takes the Spark and beefs it up with a 4K camera, 3 axis gimbal and folding arms to enhance portability whilst still keeping it light (<500g) and packed with improved tech like APAS and smart capture for under a grand. So what can a Spark 2 offer to improve on that? We also have the Tello in the toy drone market. I do believe the Mavic Air was the successor to the Spark which in turn was the prerequisite to the Air and the likelihood of a Mavic Air 2 is therefore more probable IMO.
2019-5-2
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

David Martin Graff Posted at 5-2 11:09
So one operative question: Why would DJI create a Spark in the first place?

With all the regulations (worldwide) for drones over 250g, it would make a lot of sense to make a spark II that weight just UNDER 250g!
2019-5-2
Use props
Mhinc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

ViPatrik Posted at 4-29 20:52
The spark is an entry level drone on the DJI´s board. Why would they make a cheaper competitive for the Mavic Air or Pro? Why do you all think DJI is so stupid they would make a better drone for half of the price like the Mavic? Everything what is on your wishlist is the Mavic Pro, but you already have one. Or if they make a Spark 2 with these features, then it would cost more than the Mavic, who would buy it? Ok it would be light weight, what is important for the Canadians, but anyone else? DJI has built up beautifully the line of their products. Do you want to try out these hobby: Spark. Do you liked that, and want better quality: Mavic Air. So you want more distance, and more flight time: Mavic Pro. That´s all... Anyway the Spark 2 is a hoax as I know.

Considering DJIs site has changed from "Spark" to "Spark Series" suggests a new Spark.
What the specs will be, I can't say.  But they could base it on the NON foldable legs, and give it an upgrade to 4K Video with  a longer lasting battery, hard to say.  But it does look like this is the next release.
2019-5-2
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-2 12:24
As an entry level selfie drone in May 2017 to sit below the Mavic Pro with a cheaper price tag and less features to encapsulate a broader demographic in the market. One could then ask why create the Mavic Air which clearly takes the Spark and beefs it up with a 4K camera, 3 axis gimbal and folding arms to enhance portability whilst still keeping it light (

I would venture in agreeing with you it's just that there seems to be quite a few knowledgeable and respectable drone enthusiasts who are saying lately that a Spark 2 will be released shortly during this year? I thought there would be a Mavic 2 last year and then right before I disbelieved, this year I'm ambivalent on the fence - but all I need to do is second guess myself like last year - and oh Nelly what do you know!! Spark 2 will be here....
2019-5-4
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ssylca44 Posted at 5-2 13:37
With all the regulations (worldwide) for drones over 250g, it would make a lot of sense to make a spark II that weight just UNDER 250g!

I really don't think drones over or under 250g will make a difference to you or me or whether it's someone's kid who causes chaos amok, the only thing about 250g having any impact is on the commercial market, allowing more companies to utilize widespread droning without paying regulatory fees that govern its use.  
2019-5-4
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

A J Posted at 5-2 12:24
As an entry level selfie drone in May 2017 to sit below the Mavic Pro with a cheaper price tag and less features to encapsulate a broader demographic in the market. One could then ask why create the Mavic Air which clearly takes the Spark and beefs it up with a 4K camera, 3 axis gimbal and folding arms to enhance portability whilst still keeping it light (

I still don' believe that lawmaker would let a drone with just 249 g, but all the abilities of the Spark or the Air, get unregulated in the air.
Thailand, p.ex. is not  focusing  alone on the weight.
There is a more easy feature to decide, if drones can be allowed b/c they are just toy drones:
Thailand makes it, on top of the weight, a "has a camera" rule!

I can imagine, with high performing < 250g drones, that this will quickly become a standard then.

2019-5-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 5-4 20:18
I really don't think drones over or under 250g will make a difference to you or me or whether it's someone's kid who causes chaos amok, the only thing about 250g having any impact is on the commercial market, allowing more companies to utilize widespread droning without paying regulatory fees that govern its use.
The fact is that even being an experienced drone pilot and enthusiast does not give that person insight into the future... lol I’ve based my belief on the facts in front of me. I may be totally wrong but until DJI announce anything your guess is as a good as mine!
2019-5-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 5-4 21:37
I still don' believe that lawmaker would let a drone with just 249 g, but all the abilities of the Spark or the Air, get unregulated in the air.
Thailand, p.ex. is not  focusing  alone on the weight.
There is a more easy feature to decide, if drones can be allowed b/c they are just toy drones:

I totally agree! It would mean a lot of authorities would have to revise their legislation and the last thing DJI want to do is wind up the FAA and CAA. Also if the drone was 249g it would only take an ND filter to make it >250g. It would be too close to the line. They would have to make it c.200g and class it as a toy. I can’t imagine a drone that small having the same capabilities as the Mavic Air with a <$500 price tag. It would be like placing a Zenmuse X4S on a Tello!
2019-5-4
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting question. You mentioned the change of titles to ‘Spark Series’ which indicates that there’s more to come under the name. We’ve also seen a big reduction in price of the individual drones and fly more combos from launch prices. At one point I thought that the retailers here were clearing out their existing stocks.  I’ve upgraded to a Mavic Air, so not in the market for another drone. The biggest improvement I’ve noticed is in flight time and image quality, perhaps something along those lines?
2019-5-4
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-4 22:32
The fact is that even being an experienced drone pilot and enthusiast does not give that person insight into the future... lol I’ve based my belief on the facts in front of me. I may be totally wrong but until DJI announce anything your guess is as a good as mine!

I think if DJI were to keep suit with the Spark/Mavic Pro 2017/2016 unveiling introducing more albeit "gimmicky" features as what was seen then for less in overall cost, I would expect something likely along those lines, but don't quote me....
2019-5-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 5-5 03:13
I think if DJI were to keep suit with the Spark/Mavic Pro 2017/2016 unveiling introducing more albeit "gimmicky" features as what was seen then for less in overall cost, I would expect something likely along those lines, but don't quote me....

Yeah, never say never mate
2019-5-5
Use props
Pi_314
lvl.1
Flight distance : 235568 ft
United States

longer flight time, i guess...
2019-5-5
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 415630 ft
United States

Hell if they slapped a 3 axis gimbal on there that by itself would be huge. That's the biggest negative I run up against with my spark. That being said I probably wouldn't upgrade to a spark 2. I would probably just get an Air. Mavics are out of my price range.
2019-5-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder what this will be David?!
2019-5-8
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Flight time, bitrate and 3rd axis. I dont care about 4k really, but those are the three things I would like improvment on. Perhaps the added compass redundancy of the Air...  

But then I need wife 2.0 to get all that anyway
2019-5-8
Use props
Ingashaba
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325108 ft
Netherlands

Perhaps a spark thermal would be kind of cool,.
2019-5-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It might come out.
But it also might not....
They just released an action camera.
2019-5-16
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 06:02
It might come out.
But it also might not....
They just released an action camera.

Sorry but I have amnesia. Best wishes and god bless.
Please feel free to join my support group: Southwest Saguaro Clinic (602) 652-3500 / state of Arizona
2019-5-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

David Martin Graff Posted at 5-18 06:44
Sorry but I have amnesia. Best wishes and god bless.
Please feel free to join my support group: Southwest Saguaro Clinic (602) 652-3500 / state of Arizona

Help me out. What is that?
2019-5-18
Use props
Endeavor24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291519 ft
United States

I just got the Spark so I hope it's not too soon lol, but I do think it won't be long before a new Spark is announced. The recent price drop (why I bought mine) might be to clear the way for 2. There is also a lot of anticipation and rumor so I think it's coming this year.
2019-5-18
Use props
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

I think Spark 2 is not out of the picture, but I really don’t think it’s going to be 4K camera. The Spark is meant for beginners and hobbyists, and there are enough 4K drones in the world (and DJI). I think the next one will be 1080p or possibly 2.7k, but probably not 4K.
2019-6-5
Use props
fanscf881ebc
lvl.1
United States

DJI announced today that the release of a Spark 2 drone is on hold indefinitely.
2019-6-18
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

There will almost certainly be no Spark 2. Any additional functionality (like the one currently in Spark) would make it more attractive than Mavic air or Mavic pro 1-2.
HD recording, 3-axis gimbal? Then nobody would buy Mavic airt.
It would be enough to let the current Spark allow Mavic's flight modes.
2019-6-18
Use props
Junior SBC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 476483 ft
Brazil

For the DJI, DRONE not be priority. INOVATIONS are the priority.

Hugs

:/
2019-6-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I wonder why there were rumors of a July event that apparently got cancelled by DJI? Not to mention, Spark is sold out on DJI's store?...
2019-6-22
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 5-18 12:59
Help me out. What is that?

When you forget things and suffer loss of memory.
2019-6-22
Use props
FlyBa2018
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Who has a breakthrough of technique to make a drone, 3 axles gimbal, 4K video, weight less than 250g, can fly for a certain long duration for each flight with safety sensors, will certainly occupy the market for these drones that can satisfy the tight rules for flying in most countries.  Will Spark 2 be one of the drones?
2019-6-22
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FlyBa2018 Posted at 6-22 17:02
Who has a breakthrough of technique to make a drone, 3 axles gimbal, 4K video, weight less than 250g, can fly for a certain long duration for each flight with safety sensors, will certainly occupy the market for these drones that can satisfy the tight rules for flying in most countries.  Will Spark 2 be one of the drones?

Your guess is as good as mine?...
2019-6-22
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Junior SBC Posted at 6-19 19:10
For the DJI, DRONE not be priority. INOVATIONS are the priority.

Hugs
That is rather naive to say, if I may.
DJI are not philanthropists. They are a business company first and foremost, their prime goal is to make money for their owners/shareholders. Nothing wrong with that, that's what every commercial business does.
Innovations are not a goal, they are means to achieve the goal - as a tool to stay in front of the competition and enable more sales, or to take new market share and enable more sales. Not for taking a market share from your own products.
2019-6-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules