1848 27 2019-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

First day out with my new Mavic 2 and Smart Controller. The sky was way too hazy for any decent videos and photos; but the Smart Controller definitely worked in direct sunlight. Didn't get hot the way my phones did, and didn't need to worry about its battery going flat like the phones did. And as a bonus, it frees up your phone for taking the all important selfies!!!

20190430_125948_0.jpg
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fantastic shot mate. It really is an amazing little drone and glad the SC is working for you too
2019-4-30
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 4-30 02:34
Fantastic shot mate. It really is an amazing little drone and glad the SC is working or you too

Thanks.  The M2p is awesome as it is; but could be even better once I have the FCC mode happening. Did a back to back flight with my Platinum and the M2p was unable to go as far, before it lost the HD video feed.
2019-4-30
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Very nice capture!
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 4-30 03:12
Thanks.  The M2p is awesome as it is; but could be even better once I have the FCC mode happening. Did a back to back flight with my Platinum and the M2p was unable to go as far, before it lost the HD video feed.

Interesting one on the range. I believe the stock transmission that the SC uses is not as strong as the standard controller. In CE the max distance with the SC is 4KM (same as the MPP with OcySync 1.0) but 5KM with the standard RC. Make sure the antennas are pointed down on the SC and are perpendicular to the drone.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M2P with standard RC:

Smart Controller:

Looks like the dBm is slightly more powerful (20 dBm on the standard RC vs. 18.5 dBm dropping to 12.5 dBm in 5.8 on the SC) so this will explain the extra 1-3KM range and stronger signal.
I find selecting 2.4GHz rather than Auto in the app helps unless you are very close to interference whereby 5.8GHz will be better but massively reduces the range/signal quality in CE (2KM on the SC - that may expalin the signal being lost quicker). It's 8KM in either frequency in FCC but I've never had an issue with signal. In fact, I've never experienced a signal drop on my M2P even when a few hundred metres from a nearby town using the standard RC with my iPhone Xs.
2019-4-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool shot.
2019-4-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Nice shot, glad to know you like Mavic 2 and the Smart Controller, hope you enjoy flying.
2019-4-30
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

A J Posted at 4-30 04:20
M2P with standard RC:
[view_image]
Smart Controller:

Any reason for the lower CE range? Regulatory or technical reasons?
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dancopter Posted at 4-30 08:08
Any reason for the lower CE range? Regulatory or technical reasons?

I believe regulatory as CE covers the whole of Europe
2019-4-30
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

A J Posted at 4-30 08:09
I believe regulatory as CE covers the whole of Europe

But why is CE mode on the smart controller less power than CE mode on the normal RC?
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dancopter Posted at 4-30 08:16
But why is CE mode on the smart controller less power than CE mode on the normal RC?

No idea - may be send an e-mail to DJI and ask the people who built it the question
2019-4-30
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Honestly never knew what I was missing before I had my Platinum tweaked to operate in FCC. I mainly shoot landscapes so being able to fly further away makes it possible to frame my shots  wider. For some reasons the radio interference here in Australia is quite unpredictable; I've had the Platinum 5km away (in FCC) at a different location and the connection was still good. But at the location yesterday it started to fade at just over 3km, while the M2p (in SRRC, I believe), lost signal at 2.9km and went into RTH briefly.
2019-4-30
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 4-30 04:06
Interesting one on the range. I believe the stock transmission that the SC uses is not as strong as the standard controller. In CE the max distance with the SC is 4KM (same as the MPP with OcySync 1.0) but 5KM with the standard RC. Make sure the antennas are pointed down on the SC and are perpendicular to the drone.

Having used NLD's 'patched' GO app with the Platinum for a few months has made me aware of the extra flexibility and convenience I was missing. Really hope NLD can come up with a version for the SC soon, otherwise I will seriously consider buying an extra standard remote.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 4-30 14:12
Having used NLD's 'patched' GO app with the Platinum for a few months has made me aware of the extra flexibility and convenience I was missing. Really hope NLD can come up with a version for the SC soon, otherwise I will seriously consider buying an extra standard remote.

You can get standard remotes from Ebay I believe mate - DJI don't currently sell them as standalone products.
2019-4-30
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dancopter Posted at 4-30 08:16
But why is CE mode on the smart controller less power than CE mode on the normal RC?

LOL, government hypocrisies are never the easiest to understand, could never understand why governments allow car manufacturers to produce cars which can  travel at 3 times the legal speed limits...
2019-4-30
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Thank you. But I was there for the scenery in the far background! The sky was so hazy, and there was massive radio interference so I wasn't able to fly the M2p anywhere close enough to take some decent shots. Wish it was in FCC mode!!!!!!!
2019-4-30
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

This was taken just before it lost connection, at just under 3km, would've been much nicer if the sky was clearer too...

2019-4-30
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 4-30 14:14
You can get standard remotes from Ebay I believe mate - DJI don't currently sell them as standalone products.

Thanks, not looking forward to buying one, as it would be my last resort. But you would hope DJI comes up with a firmware update for the SC, or at least explains why the SC's signal is weaker.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 4-30 14:44
Thanks, not looking forward to buying one, as it would be my last resort. But you would hope DJI comes up with a firmware update for the SC, or at least explains why the SC's signal is weaker.

The SC is still a relatively new product mate so almost a work in progress. I'm sure they will continue to improve it with FW over time though it is still a great looking bit of kit. Enjoy.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 4-30 14:29
This was taken just before it lost connection, at just under 3km, would've been much nicer if the sky was clearer too...

[view_image]

Awesome shot
2019-4-30
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 4-30 14:12

Oh, the NLD patch does not work on the Smart Controller?   I was considering it since I'm two miles from a university football stadium and that can restrict flying at my home on my 5,000 sq ft lot.  The last time I could not get the permission to fly working.  I was hoping that the NLD patch might work.
2019-4-30
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Great photo Distant background is nice too
2019-4-30
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ff22 Posted at 4-30 18:16
Oh, the NLD patch does not work on the Smart Controller?   I was considering it since I'm two miles from a university football stadium and that can restrict flying at my home on my 5,000 sq ft lot.  The last time I could not get the permission to fly working.  I was hoping that the NLD patch might work.

The latest version of the patched GO 4 is 4.1.22, which is 14 months old. I am happy with what it can do with my Platinum but to me it is completely useless on the Mavic Air, and next to useless on the Mavic 2, unless you're happy to roll back 2 firmware versions in order to remove the NFZ restrictions. But in doing so you loose all the new features including Waypoint 2.0, plus all goodies which might come in future updates.
2019-5-1
Use props
djiuser_ZsdTJgmnQKmv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88957 ft
United States

Newbie here...what is FCC and all the other modes talked about?
2019-5-1
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_ZsdTJgmnQKmv Posted at 5-1 05:27
Newbie here...what is FCC and all the other modes talked about?

If you live in the USA then you're already on FCC, happy days. But you'll be just as happy if you're not in the USA, and haven't discovered what you're missing out on.
2019-5-1
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Monkey007 Posted at 4-30 14:23
Thank you. But I was there for the scenery in the far background! The sky was so hazy, and there was massive radio interference so I wasn't able to fly the M2p anywhere close enough to take some decent shots. Wish it was in FCC mode!!!!!!!

You're welcome mate
2019-5-2
Use props
djiuser_ZsdTJgmnQKmv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88957 ft
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 5-1 14:13
If you live in the USA then you're already on FCC, happy days. But you'll be just as happy if you're not in the USA, and haven't discovered what you're missing out on.

Im in the USA, so I'll just smile...even though I don't knoe why.  Haha.
2019-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules