DJI Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller
3613 16 2019-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amarand
lvl.3
Flight distance : 160531 ft
United States

I currently own the Mavic Air with the Fly More bundle, standard controller, that I use with my iPhone XS Max.

I've been looking at the Mavic 2 Pro with the Smart Controller.

Am I going to be missing anything with the new Smart Controller versus using my iPhone with the Mavic Air's controller?

Can you still use your iPhone/iPad with the Smart Controller or is that just silly/redundant?

Thanks!

2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You won't miss anything compared to the Mavic Air's controller and no, you can't use an iPhone with the Smart Controller to fly the drone as the SC has a built in screen and uses an Android OS. The main reason for the SC is so you don't need to use a third party device, like a phone, to fly.
2019-4-30
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

A J Posted at 4-30 11:23
You won't miss anything compared to the Mavic Air's controller and no, you can't use an iPhone with the Smart Controller to fly the drone as the SC has a built in screen and uses an Android OS. The main reason for the SC is so you don't need to use a third party device, like a phone, to fly.

Have you flown both? What do you think about the overall experience between the two?
2019-4-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for your inquiries. There are differences between the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic Air, that includes the available flight modes that you could use. For further detail, you may refer to our drone comparison using this link: https://www.dji.com/products/compare-consumer-drones. Regarding the use of a mobile device to connect in the Smart controller, the image will not be transmitted into your mobile device, however, after connecting a mobile device to the DJI Smart Controller with a USB cable, only the files can be exported. Hope that this information would clarify your queries. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amarand Posted at 4-30 11:37
Have you flown both? What do you think about the overall experience between the two?

Not the SC but I've researched it quite a bit and I've owned the Mavic Air before the Mavic 2 Pro. OcySync v2.0 is far superior to enhanced WiFi and from what I've seen the SC really enhances the overall flight experience with a 1000 nit screen that is fully integrated - it's next on my list to get.
2019-4-30
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

A J Posted at 4-30 12:17
Not the SC but I've researched it quite a bit and I've owned the Mavic Air before the Mavic 2 Pro. OcySync v2.0 is far superior to enhanced WiFi and from what I've seen the SC really enhances the overall flight experience with a 1000 nit screen that is fully integrated - it's next on my list to get.

I'm excited about the OcuSync 2.0 technology, for sure.

And, I'm sorry, when I said "flown both" I should have said: "have you flown both aircraft?"  Was wondering what your experience was between the two, outside of the controller.
2019-4-30
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 4-30 12:13
Hi, thanks for your inquiries. There are differences between the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic Air, that includes the available flight modes that you could use. For further detail, you may refer to our drone comparison using this link: https://www.dji.com/products/compare-consumer-drones. Regarding the use of a mobile device to connect in the Smart controller, the image will not be transmitted into your mobile device, however, after connecting a mobile device to the DJI Smart Controller with a USB cable, only the files can be exported. Hope that this information would clarify your queries. Thank you for continued support.

Oh, for sure DJI Tony!  I was looking for more of a compare-and-contrast from someone with experience between the two aircraft. It looks like the SC (Smart Controller) is going to be awesome, and I'm excited to only have to worry about two battery levels (the SC and the aircraft) versus the three on the Mavic Air (the SC, aircraft and my iPhone).

Thanks!
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amarand Posted at 4-30 12:31
I'm excited about the OcuSync 2.0 technology, for sure.

And, I'm sorry, when I said "flown both" I should have said: "have you flown both aircraft?"  Was wondering what your experience was between the two, outside of the controller.

Yeah, owned both aircraft with the standard remotes. Both are great to fly but the M2P is noticeable step up.
2019-4-30
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

A J Posted at 4-30 12:48
Yeah, owned both aircraft with the standard remotes. Both are great to fly but the M2P is noticeable step up.

Awesome. Can't wait!
2019-4-30
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

A J Posted at 4-30 12:48

As a photographer, I can't wait to use the Hasselblad camera/lens.
2019-4-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amarand Posted at 4-30 12:54

Given that a typical Hasselblad costs £20-50K I wouldn't put it in the same league but as far as consumer to prosumer grade drones go it is up there and was offically made in partnership with them including the use of Hasselblad HNSC technology which is why you can record in 10 bit.
2019-4-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Amarand Posted at 4-30 12:33
Oh, for sure DJI Tony!  I was looking for more of a compare-and-contrast from someone with experience between the two aircraft. It looks like the SC (Smart Controller) is going to be awesome, and I'm excited to only have to worry about two battery levels (the SC and the aircraft) versus the three on the Mavic Air (the SC, aircraft and my iPhone).

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide the best feedback about using the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom and the Smart Controller. For additional information, the Smart controller's operating time is 2.5 hours. Should you have further concerns, please keep us posted. Thank you for your support.
2019-4-30
Use props
Horus303
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57484 ft
United States

just got my smart controller today with my first ever DJI (mavic 2 pro)..very excited of course
would like to learn from your experience though what's the best and easiest way to check authorization zones and unlock them? can I do it over the phone and somehow have it carried over to the drone? in other words, can the drone be connected to the smart controller for controls and in the same time connected to the standalone iphone for unlocking?
2019-12-6
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

Hi Amarand,

you won't miss anything, using the smart controller. It's the like the standard controller, but with a build in bright high resolution screen and no fuss with cables.

No, you can't connect a phone as an extra screen, however, there's a hdmi port where you can connect a hdmi compatible monitor.

I've set up the standard remote as a secundairy remote. In that case, you can see the transmitted images on both remotes.

2019-12-7
Use props
Raptor_UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Amarand Posted at 4-30 12:54

M2P photo of the house ;)
2019-12-16
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

That's gorgeous!  Looking forward to flying again soon!
2020-4-8
Use props
djiuser_avXUGvLXgtIs
New

Nigeria

I need a help please. I fly my Mavic2 pro, on downloading the first time, all the pictures came with extension .DJI. I was able to process on pix4d mapper. On my second experience, all the pictures came as thumb and pix4d prompts that all the 256 pictures have a single coordinates, hence could not be processed. I don't know what I'm actually missing.
2020-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules