I1 "autopilot" beta testing
5935 64 2015-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Overmind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

I must admit, I'm more dispondent now, than 3 months ago when DJI claimed that this stuff was imminent.  Sounds like the actual stuff we thought would be in this app, is not, or will only be there in the next version.  So, do we get all the Ground Station stuff we were told to be in the I1 7 months ago, or not?  Is "autopilot" actually it, but no waypoints?  But...win!  ...there's iWatch integration!  Marvellous!

I give up...honestly.

2015-7-2
Use props
AllanVB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

+1 - I agree... DJI where is the product you promised to all those on earth?

2015-7-2
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the feedback Rob.

Big news guys! Because of the delay, we are going to be able to release a few more features in version 2 that were not previously slated for this release:
- Zip Line Mode (think cablecam) - Autopilot flies the aircraft from Point A to Point B (with all the same Focus options as the other Modes)
- Continuous Photos (new Flight Recorder setting) - Autopilot takes a photo every x seconds

Here is the new icon for Zip Line Mode:

We created a short video with Zip Line shot, and a few Orbit segments created using two drones, both running Autopilot in Orbit Mode. Enjoy:

2015-7-2
Use props
greg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265495 ft
  • >>>
Canada

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-2 19:12
Rob-

Beyond the obvious things like dropping pins for the waypoints, can you elaborate on what kind ...

Thanks Jim for your quick reply.  Its kind of like we are in beta test without the software

One of the things that i would like is the ability to create curved flight paths.  What i envision is being able to drop two pins, set the height on each pin and then being able to manipulate the path in between by dragging it around to create the arc.  Another possibility would be when you create each pin would be to have an angle in and angle out but doing it visually by dragging seems it would be much easier.  What i envision is my like any vector graphics program how you can create curved lines.

It would also be very nice to be able to control the altitude in a similar way as  above.  For example, when i fly a selfie, i dont fly from one altitude to the second altitude on a straight line, in the beginning i go more horizontal and near the end of the selfie i am gaining altitude faster.  it gives a much more dynamic look this way.

Another very cool feature would be to incorporate Easing (used in animation). Easing in or out controls how the speed changes at the beginning and end of the animation and really what we are trying to do is animate the unit so i think this would be brilliant.

I realize these are lofty goals but since we are dreaming here . . .
2015-7-2
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

greg Posted at 2015-7-3 11:17
Thanks Jim for your quick reply.  Its kind of like we are in beta test without the software

On ...

Good additions, Greg!
2015-7-2
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-2 19:12
Rob-

Beyond the obvious things like dropping pins for the waypoints, can you elaborate on what kind ...

I was trying to explain that when flying an automated route via a grid pattern or any other route to capture still images for input into software to generate the geo spacial land contours or 3D images, the camera needs to be taken stills at pre-set intervals to ensure overlay of images whilst in the automated flight.  For example taking a still image every 2/3 seconds of an automated flight will ensure good overlay and capture of detail.

It will not be good if you have to manually press the shutter release during an automated flight.

So what I am trying to say is it would be nice to have automatic flights via programmable waypoints along predefined routes and at the same time have automatic shutter release every so many seconds during the flight.
2015-7-3
Use props
stephen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1930883 ft

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-3 17:36
I was trying to explain that when flying an automated route via a grid pattern or any other route t ...

I found out you can already set the I1 camera to take an image every 5 seconds on the app, but it would mean a very slow flight speed to ensure a good overlap.....  We definitely need to be able to set a shorter interval.
2015-7-3
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

Greg- Thanks for the details. We have already implemented easing into the existing Modes.

Stephen- We were able to get it down 2 seconds at the fastest.

By the way, we've created a mailing list if you want to get the latest news and updates. Click here to subscribe.
Note: If you've signed up for the beta, you are already on the mailing list.
2015-7-3
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

If you haven't seen it already, check out our new product feedback survey. We would love to get your feedback on what excites you about Autopilot and where it is heading.
2015-7-8
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

Just recived an email from Autoflight Logic. Betatest begining soon.
2015-7-8
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

AllanVB Posted at 2015-7-2 22:27
+1 - I agree... DJI where is the product you promised to all those on earth?

And why is it going to cost us extra for something that was promised as standard?

$19.99
2015-7-8
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-7-9 06:08
And why is it going to cost us extra for something that was promised as standard?

$19.99

I assume your frustration is aimed at DJI?

Autoflight Logic is a third-party company that is trying to address the needs of the community and our development model would be unsustainable if we did not charge for the app. Creating an app such as Autopilot is extremely time and cost intensive, and we do not have margins from hardware sales to offer our software as a loss-leader (in the way that DJI could, or 3DR does).
2015-7-9
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Where is the figure of $19,99 coming from.

DJI haven't said in any correspondence that it will be at a cost.  Is this the same automated flight, waypoints etc. that DJI have been promising or is this a separate third party development app, completely unconnected to DJI.  If it is unconnected to DJI then I guess there is justification for a cost of some level, but I personally wasn't expecting this to be provided by DJI at an additional cost when it was promised at the outset.
2015-7-9
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-9 22:40

Autoflight Logic is a third-party company that is tryi ...

Exactly.  IMHO DJI should be picking up the tab.  Not us.  This is something that was promised as part of the package.
2015-7-9
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-9 22:40

Autoflight Logic is a third-party company that is tryi ...

@Autoflightlogic
As DJI plays Hide & Seek with us users all the time, (in other words, people looks for information and DJI hides ;) ). We Inspire owners want to now if your app is the Official DJI app for automatic flights? Have DJI hired Autoflight Logic to make it?

Or is your app an official third party app and DJI *works on it's own app* for automatic flights? If the latter, no one really can complain on your pricing. But as we users don't know...

We live in the era of Information, but sadly DJI haven't caught up with customer relations yet. But I do like their products and I'm very happy with the Inspire. But... after many months, we still haven't gotten waypoint flying as promised. The latest Naza firmware is broken, and the Inspire handheld camera is not here yet, though it was to be released during Q2. A few words from DJI to the Community would be appreciated!
2015-7-9
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

Autoflight Logic is a third-party company. We do have a close, professional working relationship with respect to their SDK developer program, but DJI does not fund us or the development of Autopilot in any way.

Apologies if there was any confusion about that.
2015-7-9
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-10 01:17
Autoflight Logic is a third-party company. We do have a close, professional working relationship wit ...

Thank you for clearing it up for us! I'm very much looking forward to the beta and release of Autopilot
2015-7-9
Use props
greg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265495 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Personally i don't care what the cost is, i just want the features to use my expensive camera the best way i can.  DJI makes great products but as many people have noted they are not great on communications or customer relations.

From what I have seen so far from Auto Flight Logic, they are very professional with their communications, their web site looks professional and their documentation is top notch.  All signs of a company i can trust.  To me the $20 plus a few addons is extremely cheap especially when compared to the price of my initial purchase.  
2015-7-10
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the support Greg! We really have put a lot of time and energy into this product and we hope you guys will love it.

DJI is saying the ball is now in Apple's court, finally. Here are some videos in the meantime.

Zip Line:

Orbit:
2015-7-10
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-11 08:04
Thanks for the support Greg! We really have put a lot of time and energy into this product and we ho ...

Thank you for the update! And thank you for posting more videos!

Video 1: If I may wish, would it be possible to set the transparency of the pop-up window to perhaps 80-90% so you can see the image from the camera behind, just enough visibility be able to centre the target? Now the pop-up window covers most of the live video completely.

Video 2: I guess the roll of the camera is set manually here? Not a drift issue?

Hope you, as well as we users, then have just a day or two until release of the beta! It must have been a long wait for Autoflight Logic, too.

Have a nice weekend everyone!
2015-7-10
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

We experimented with transparency on the controls but it made the controls themselves hard to see. Not opposed to trying again, but you know you can get inline controls by using an iPad. Check out the Flight Dashboard screenshots on the iPad tab here:
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/ ... t-dashboard-layouts

I believe the roll on the gimbal was off because I need to do a calibration on the Inspire that we used.
2015-7-11
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Overmind Posted at 2015-7-2 22:00
I must admit, I'm more dispondent now, than 3 months ago when DJI claimed that this stuff was immine ...

100% agree. +1
2015-7-12
Use props
drewid20
lvl.2

United States

autoflightlogic Posted at 2015-7-11 19:29
We experimented with transparency on the controls but it made the controls themselves hard to see. N ...

One feature that would be very helpful is a "resume" function when shooting grid mode.  If your shooting a large area for photogrammetry and need to return to home for a battery change it would be nice for the inspire to return to the same spot and resume shooting the rest of the grid.
2015-7-12
Use props
autoflightlogic
lvl.2

United States

The beta has started - thanks for your patience!
2015-7-24
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

I'm excited to get out there and test it! Just downloaded the new update, will be flying tomorrow and sending in my feedback!
2015-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules