Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone crashes and shatters the rear windshield of a Bentley at Ritz Carlton
1836 27 2019-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

I would like to share this nasty incident happened on 30th April in Hong Kong in front of the Ritz Carlton Hotel.

Out of nowhere a Mavic Pro Drone fell from sky directly on a Bentley car parked at Ritz Carlton Hotel ,Hong Kong.

It was a close call and luckily no one injured but impact of the drone smashed the rear window and I am sure you can guess the cost of replacement.

Local police is seeking the pilot and  would not be so difficult  to reach him if they trace back the serial number on the drone.

Until I read this news I was naively ( or let say stupidly) flying over the roads or building and this somehow woke me up

Details of the news can be read  here

2019-5-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looking at the photos I'm quite amazed that only the gimbal fell off an original Mavic Pro after shattering the rear windscreen of a Bentley to pieces - I've seen arms fall off of Mavic's on YT video's after crashing into tree branches - the drone would be in bits and I'm a little amazed how the glass in a £200K car would shatter so easily. I thought the glass on those Bentley's are almost bullet proof!
2019-5-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this interesting article with us. We're highly recommending our customers to fly the drone in open areas without interferences to avoid the incident. For further details in regards to the Safety guidelines, please refer to the link below. Thank you for continued support.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_EN.pdf
2019-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

For a shattered rear window, it looks pretty intact.  Must be a Bentley thing...  
Drone looks like it needs some repair.  

Perhaps SkyNet kicked in and drone went rogue.  Escaping DJI service & repair facility.  
No matter, back it goes!
2019-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 5-1 05:15
Looking at the photos I'm quite amazed that only the gimbal fell off an original Mavic Pro after shattering the rear windscreen of a Bentley to pieces - I've seen arms fall off of Mavic's on YT video's after crashing into tree branches - the drone would be in bits and I'm a little amazed how the glass in a £200K car would shatter so easily. I thought the glass on those Bentley's are almost bullet proof!

I'm a little amazed how the glass in a £200K car would shatter so easily. I thought the glass on those Bentley's are almost bullet proof!
They just don't make'm like they used too.  
2019-5-1
Use props
Joe.Mavic.D.HH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8230085 ft
  • >>>
Germany

If you take a look at the other articles in this "newspaper" the chances are high for this report to be a hoax in my opinion. I only see a damaged MP on the photo but no scratch on the Bentley. And the Bentley itself is obviously badly photoshopped in that picture. At least suspicious.
2019-5-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-1 08:48
I'm a little amazed how the glass in a £200K car would shatter so easily. I thought the glass on those Bentley's are almost bullet proof!
They just don't make'm like they used too.

Very true lol
2019-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Joe.Mavic.D.HH Posted at 5-1 08:54
If you take a look at the other articles in this "newspaper" the chances are high for this report to be a hoax in my opinion. I only see a damaged MP on the photo but no scratch on the Bentley. And the Bentley itself is obviously badly photoshopped in that picture. At least suspicious.

this "newspaper" the chances are high for this report to be a hoax in my opinion

News media once again making up news on latest FUD target (drones), cause clicks sell.
Earth is going to Flood.  Earth is going to Freeze.  Earth is going to Fry.  Earth is going to be pulverized.   
2019-5-1
Use props
fans799afcf3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8834869 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Joe.Mavic.D.HH Posted at 5-1 08:54
If you take a look at the other articles in this "newspaper" the chances are high for this report to be a hoax in my opinion. I only see a damaged MP on the photo but no scratch on the Bentley. And the Bentley itself is obviously badly photoshopped in that picture. At least suspicious.

This is not a hoax, it did happen yesterday in Hong Kong and the TV news reported on this as well. We as the drone lovers in Hong Kong are really concern about this, because the arthority has already started to tighten up the regulation of drone flying here, sure it would more difficult to get a license to fly!  
2019-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

fans799afcf3 Posted at 5-1 09:58
This is not a hoax, it did happen yesterday in Hong Kong and the TV news reported on this as well. We as the drone lovers in Hong Kong are really concern about this, because the arthority has already started to tighten up the regulation of drone flying here, sure it would more difficult to get a license to fly!

Can you post some pictures of actual damage?  The Bentley pictured in news story collage appears undamaged.
2019-5-1
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

Looks like total BS!
2019-5-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ya i dont believe it cuz no drone damage photos... just a mavic pro on its back with gimbal ripped out, which from my experience isnt what would happen if mavic pro fell from the sky into back window... not even how physics work, the arm shreeing off is more possible..
2019-5-1
Use props
fans799afcf3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8834869 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-1 11:48
Can you post some pictures of actual damage?  The Bentley pictured in news story collage appears undamaged.

Here is a link to the news report. If you can read or translate the Chinese text, you will see how this happened. I guess the drone pilot is stupid enough to hit the ICC building which is one of the tallest in Hong Kong, and then it fell and crashed into the Branly

https://hk.mobi.yahoo.com/news/%E7%84%A1%E4%BA%BA%E6%A9%9F%E5%B0%96%E6%B2%99%E5%92%80icc%E5%A2%9C%E6%A9%9F-%E6%AF%80%E8%B3%93%E5%88%A9%E6%88%BF%E8%BB%8A%E6%93%8B%E9%A2%A8%E7%8E%BB%E7%92%83-121032530.html
2019-5-1
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Macao

fans799afcf3 Posted at 5-1 09:58
This is not a hoax, it did happen yesterday in Hong Kong and the TV news reported on this as well. We as the drone lovers in Hong Kong are really concern about this, because the arthority has already started to tighten up the regulation of drone flying here, sure it would more difficult to get a license to fly!

thanks my friend, i think for them  is difficult  to understand  reality and root cause of the incident  as many of the commenters out of Hong Kong .
2019-5-1
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why not on a Kia? Fake news !
2019-5-1
Use props
zappy54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 446900 ft
United Kingdom

fans799afcf3 Posted at 5-1 14:59
Here is a link to the news report. If you can read or translate the Chinese text, you will see how this happened. I guess the drone pilot is stupid enough to hit the ICC building which is one of the tallest in Hong Kong, and then it fell and crashed into the Branly

Them photos are a Mavic 2 but can't tell if zoom or pro
2019-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

fans799afcf3 Posted at 5-1 14:59
Here is a link to the news report. If you can read or translate the Chinese text, you will see how this happened. I guess the drone pilot is stupid enough to hit the ICC building which is one of the tallest in Hong Kong, and then it fell and crashed into the Branly

Those pictures look real, compared to collage (combined photoshop) picture of first post.
2019-5-1
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Macao

To all they think, suspect or having paranoia about the reality of the news.
First you are free to believe or not believe its up to you and your  capability level  of  interpretation.
We are local Hong Kong- Macau Drone pilots and this incident happened and broadcasted by  local media (newspaper and top TV Channels) and all of us have serious concern about , more restrictions  could  be implemented soon just because of a relentless drone pilot.

FULL STOP...…. PLEASE DO NOT TROLL THIS POST BY POSTING MESSAGES LIKE " IT IS FAKE,  IS IT FAKE?,  I THINK IS FAKE "
JUST TRY GET THE LESSON LEARN FROM THIS INCIDENT, WHICH  CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE AND ANYTIME IF YOU DO NOT RESPECT THE DRONE FLY RULES AND REGULATIONS. ( sorry for the caps )
2019-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

akozc Posted at 5-1 18:50
First you are free to believe or not believe its up to you and your  capability level  of  interpretation.
We are local Hong Kong- Macau Drone pilots and this incident happened and broadcasted by  local media (newspaper and top TV Channels) and all of us have serious concern about , more restrictions  could  be implemented soon just because of a relentless drone pilot.

You can't blame people for questioning story when picture shown in story is this:

Car shows no damage to rear windscreen.
Picture appears to be photoshopped composite of three different images.
2019-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-1 19:00
You can't blame people for questioning story when picture shown in story is this:
[view_image]

Here is picture of drone from 2nd news story.  Does not look same.

Notice this car does show damage.

2019-5-1
Use props
Sky Cam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10201549 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

How stupid some people think we are. The one drone is a Mavic Pro and the other a Mavic 2. And compare the registration plate of the car, you do not need to look further.
2019-5-1
Use props
Sky Cam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10201549 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

The mavic also has to overcome a steel roof during its fall . The entrance area to the Ritz Carlton is covered
2019-5-1
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Just lucky that it was not my uncle's Rolls Royce as it is garaged in HK
2019-5-1
Use props
Gelert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like the Dimsum Daily cobbled together a Photoshop image for their publication. The East Network News report looks genuine to me.

More importantly, Akozc's message is quite correct - we all need to fly safely or run the risk of being legislated out of our hobby.
2019-5-1
Use props
Joe.Mavic.D.HH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8230085 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Just cool down! If there wouldn't have been that questionable article in the first place I wouldn't have doubted it. Exclamation mark
2019-5-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Expressing opinion to clarify what is being published by the media in direct connection to this alleged incident is NOT trolling. The pictures published in the article you have circulated on here are highly questionable and it now transpires that they are neither the drone or the car involved in the actual incident...

If media publications wish to report such incidents it is important that the facts are fairly presented so as not to mislead the public with sensationalism to drive their numbers. Nobody is questioning the importance of flying safely or adhering to the airspace regulations to uphold that safety - but they are and have every right to question what is perceived to be fake news and those pictures clearly are.
2019-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

It’s most likely that there is some truth in this, it’s a bit strange that some would try to deliberately go to the trouble to show this never happened, and your right bringing awareness to others can do no harm .
2019-5-2
Use props
klexal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 551283 ft
United Kingdom

Remember to have insurance, folks!

I'm not really well versed on international drone regulations , however in the UK it is legal to fly over traffic as long as it's above 50m (if you have a PfCO from the CAA).

Aviation accidents do happen, and sometimes it's not down to negligence. Just remember to report it, and to have drone insurance in the event of property damage.
2019-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules