Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do I need a network connection to fly
29943 34 2019-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amershaman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12822 ft
United Kingdom

My appologies if this is a dumb question but, do I need to have a device that has a live internet connection connected to my controller to be able to fly my M2Zoom?  

I initially used my mobile phone with the controller but found the screen too small, and also the user experience with android has a few issues.

I am now using an iPad which is much better, but is not able to connect to the internet when I am out in the field unless I pair it with bluetooth to my phone.

1. Do I need to do this?  What functionality do I loose if not connected to the Internet (I can't see any difference in the way the drone and DJI Go 4 performs)?

2. If I do pair the iPad to my phone what data usage should there be?  What is data used for?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help my understanding of how this all works

2019-5-1
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

No, you do not need internet connection. The only thing you will not have is the map, unless you cached the maps before your flight.
2019-5-1
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
United States

Other threads of interest

https://forum.dji.com/thread-76939-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-169647-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-112755-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-180078-1-1.html

2019-5-1
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

If your iPad is WiFi only it might been missing GPS module.
The only thing which would not work is setting homepoint to controller.
You can always download the map with your phone as hotspot.
2019-5-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thank you for the inquiry. Having an internet service on your mobile device is not necessary to fly the drone. However, the internet connection will be needed when in terms of updating your unit, such as firmware, application, flight safe database or downloading offline maps. You may need to connect your iPad to the internet source if you need to download or update your drone. Hope that this information would satisfy your query. You may also refer to our compatible devices for the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom. Should you have further concerns, please let us know. Thank you for your support.

2019-5-1
Use props
zappy54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 446900 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 5-1 08:22
Hi, thank you for the inquiry. Having an internet service on your mobile device is not necessary to fly the drone. However, the internet connection will be needed when in terms of updating your unit, such as firmware, application, flight safe database or downloading offline maps. You may need to connect your iPad to the internet source if you need to download or update your drone. Hope that this information would satisfy your query. You may also refer to our compatible devices for the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom. Should you have further concerns, please let us know. Thank you for your support.

No Disrespect Dji Tony but the compatible devices need to be updated theres been a lot of new Devices since
2019-5-1
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nope not needed. Just have the app on the iPad then drone on.
2019-5-1
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

PS013 Posted at 5-1 06:17
No, you do not need internet connection. The only thing you will not have is the map, unless you cached the maps before your flight.

Please, do you know how to do it? thnk you
2019-5-2
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
United States

Francis Posted at 5-2 07:35
Please, do you know how to do it? thnk you

Also, you could use the following in google search

'site:forum.dji.com dji go 4 offline maps ios'
2019-5-2
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
United States

G_Sig Posted at 5-1 06:52
If your iPad is WiFi only it might been missing GPS module.
The only thing which would not work is setting homepoint to controller.
You can always download the map with your phone as hotspot.

This is true. I am using an external Bluetooth GPS for that purpose ( Garmin GLO )
2019-5-2
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

PS013 Posted at 5-2 07:50
This is true. I am using an external Bluetooth GPS for that purpose ( Garmin GLO )

Doesn't the drone itself have a GPS receiver?
2019-5-3
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
United States

Amershaman Posted at 5-3 01:31
Doesn't the drone itself have a GPS receiver?

Yes, the drone has a GPS.

Here we are talking about setting the home point to the remote. In order to do that, the device attached to the remote ( phone or tablet ) must have a GPS receiver. The WiFi only version of the iPad is not equipped with a GPS receiver. This is why I use an external Bluetooth GPS.
2019-5-3
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

PS013 Posted at 5-3 05:17
Yes, the drone has a GPS.

Here we are talking about setting the home point to the remote. In order to do that, the device attached to the remote ( phone or tablet ) must have a GPS receiver. The WiFi only version of the iPad is not equipped with a GPS receiver. This is why I use an external Bluetooth GPS.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation :-)
2019-5-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

zappy54 Posted at 5-1 16:34
No Disrespect Dji Tony but the compatible devices need to be updated theres been a lot of new Devices since

Hi, we do appreciate your feedback. Sorry that there are devices that were released in the market that our designated department can't test them all for the compatible matter in our DJI GO 4 app and drones. No worries, we will forward your suggestion into our designated department. Thank you for understanding.
2019-5-5
Use props
Starfire3D
lvl.2
New Zealand

I would say no..at the moment since my cheap-as Hauwei Y7 doesn't seem to work with my M2 Zoom, so I fly with no cell phone/display attached just the RC
2019-5-18
Use props
djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119209 ft
Canada

PS013 Posted at 2019-5-1 06:17
No, you do not need internet connection. The only thing you will not have is the map, unless you cached the maps before your flight.

I cannot use the dji fly app without wifi or service, it just won't open.
2021-6-9
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl Posted at 6-9 11:54
I cannot use the dji fly app without wifi or service, it just won't open.

You dug up a several year old thread...

What device are you having that problem with?  I routinely fly with an Android tablet that has no internet connectivity, and I have flown with my Android phone when I was many miles from the nearest service.  Works just fine.
2021-6-9
Use props
djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl
lvl.2
Canada

K6CCC Posted at 6-9 16:15
You dug up a several year old thread...

What device are you having that problem with?  I routinely fly with an Android tablet that has no internet connectivity, and I have flown with my Android phone when I was many miles from the nearest service.  Works just fine.

Mavic air 2 and a samsung galaxy.
I have it for 1 week but never used yet, I only installed the latest updates. I took it with me in the woods yesterday and each time I was opening the app it was telling me something like "no internet connection".
2021-6-9
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl Posted at 6-9 18:56
Mavic air 2 and a samsung galaxy.
I have it for 1 week but never used yet, I only installed the latest updates. I took it with me in the woods yesterday and each time I was opening the app it was telling me something like "no internet connection".

I think you just hit the key.  Can I assume that you have never connected the remote controller to the aircraft (while you had Internet) - and therefore, never activated the drone?  That is the one thing that you need Internet for.  But you don't need to be where you can fly to do that.  With my Mini, I activated it inside my office.

Connect the remote controller to your phone.  Power up the drone with it sitting on your kitchen table (or something like that) at home.  Power up the remote so it can connect to the drone.  Start the app on your phone (which you have either WiFi or cellular based internet).  Go through the activation procedure (just follow the steps).  Once activated, power it all down and then you should be able to go out where there is no connectivity and it will be fine.

Happy flying.
2021-6-9
Use props
djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl
lvl.2
Canada

I did, since I updated all the firmware
2021-6-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl Posted at 6-10 00:36
I did, since I updated all the firmware

If the app is looking for an internet connection, then it most certainly has not completed the registration process. Once registered, it does not care if there is an internet connection or not.
2021-6-10
Use props
djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl
lvl.2
Canada

Geebax Posted at 6-10 00:46
If the app is looking for an internet connection, then it most certainly has not completed the registration process. Once registered, it does not care if there is an internet connection or not.

When I power it up in the house, nothing happens. Everything works but it's not saying anything about registration. Whwre can I chwck that?
2021-6-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl Posted at 6-10 00:52
When I power it up in the house, nothing happens. Everything works but it's not saying anything about registration. Whwre can I chwck that?

Powering the aircraft up in the house is not much good for anything other than minor housekeeping duties. but if your phone is connected to your local WiFi network, you should have access to the registration procedure.

It is so long since I registered my last aircraft, I cannot recall the procedure, but it will be covered in the on-line manual.
2021-6-10
Use props
djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl
lvl.2
Canada

Geebax Posted at 6-10 01:02
Powering the aircraft up in the house is not much good for anything other than minor housekeeping duties. but if your phone is connected to your local WiFi network, you should have access to the registration procedure.

It is so long since I registered my last aircraft, I cannot recall the procedure, but it will be covered in the on-line manual.

What do you meam exactly by registration?
I powered it up in the house, it asked me to connect the remote to the drone, updates a few things, i followed online tutorials and did the same thing for each single batteries.
2021-6-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl Posted at 6-10 01:28
What do you meam exactly by registration?
I powered it up in the house, it asked me to connect the remote to the drone, updates a few things, i followed online tutorials and did the same thing for each single batteries.

Any DJI drone needs to be registered when you buy it, the process is done on-line. Once registered, it won't bother you about wanting an internet connection.
2021-6-10
Use props
djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl
lvl.2
Canada

Geebax Posted at 6-10 01:37
Any DJI drone needs to be registered when you buy it, the process is done on-line. Once registered, it won't bother you about wanting an internet connection.

Online where? Its registered with transport canada (like faa in the states). Then i followed a totorial how to bind the controller and aircraft, updates etc... and completed the whole thing. It has nothing to do with the aircraft, it's the app itself. I can't even open the app while not connected to the aircraft if I don't have wifi
2021-6-10
Use props
djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl
lvl.2
Canada

Geebax Posted at 6-10 01:37

You're not talking about faa? Just dji? I went on the dji website and cant find anything, Im regisrered with care refresh etc... but i dont know what that extra registration is.
2021-6-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl Posted at 6-10 02:27
You're not talking about faa? Just dji? I went on the dji website and cant find anything, Im regisrered with care refresh etc... but i dont know what that extra registration is.

No, registering with any local authority, like the FAA has nothing to do with what I am talking about. You must register the aircraft with DJI in order to activate the warranty. As I said, I cannot recall the process, but I am sure one of the other owners will come along and advise you.
2021-6-10
Use props
djiuser_MdQPGe5qc7zl
lvl.2
Canada

Geebax Posted at 6-10 02:36
No, registering with any local authority, like the FAA has nothing to do with what I am talking about. You must register the aircraft with DJI in order to activate the warranty. As I said, I cannot recall the process, but I am sure one of the other owners will come along and advise you.

It was already done, care refresh and all that were already setup with my aircraft serial number automatically when I created a dji account and linked it to my account.

2021-6-11
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

No you do not! You don't even need an ipad or a phone to fly if you wish.
2021-7-28
Use props
djiuser_e4hki9ryjVaQ
lvl.1
Greece

Ok.....so here's a question...

I just upgraded my phone. My old phone is basically useless to me now. It has no internet access or cellular service everything was transferred to my new phone.
Can I use my old phone with the controller to fly the dji 2s?
2021-8-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_e4hki9ryjVaQ Posted at 8-26 05:22
Ok.....so here's a question...

I just upgraded my phone. My old phone is basically useless to me now. It has no internet access or cellular service everything was transferred to my new phone.

Yes ... of course you can
2021-8-26
Use props
JetaGP
lvl.1

United States

No, you can't.  Here are the details.  When I got my DJI Mini it was winter so I powered it up inside my house and "Registered" it on the DJI website.  Yesterday I took it out for it's first flight but it was near my house so apparently connected to my WiFi and everything was fine.   Today I took it farther into my backyard and probably had no WiFi there. (I am using an Ipad 5 for the DJI Fly app). First thing it asks me is to Log In !
So I click on that and it says "Check network connection."  So I ignored it and it gave me a quick message that says that altitude would be limited to 50 meters and distance to 50 meters. I flew it around my back yard not exceeding 50 meters and it worked perfectly.
So how can I use the FLY app without being on the Internet aand without limiting my flying? This really sucks and I bet lots of people have returned their DJI becasue they don't want Big Brother DJI checking on everything you do and where you are flying!
Has anyone hacked the app to correct this or is there some other way around this problem?
2022-5-15
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

PS013 Posted at 2019-5-1 06:18
Other threads of interest

https://forum.dji.com/thread-76939-1-1.html

Nice of you to put that list up, much appreciated.
2022-5-15
Use props
djiuser_3tWoX3AL21bC
New

United States

PS013 Posted at 2019-5-1 06:17

I am trying to fly my DJI air 2s but it won't connect to my tablet keeps asking for location permissions even while connected to wifi. I know that the tablet works fine with my autel evo
2023-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules