Osmo Pocket - Cinematic Review
4156 24 2019-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spicemeister
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A short 'cinematic review' I made about the Osmo Pocket, you've probably seen countless reviews talking about specs and pros and cons but this is more about the concept of Osmo Pocket and how it feels to have one as a film maker.
I've got a separate video coming out later this week about the accessories I have so stay tuned if you like this kind of content.
Enjoy!

2019-5-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing your cinematic review with our Osmo Pocket. Cheers!
2019-5-1
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

although I think generally the word 'cinematic' is over used, your video was excellent and delivered. Nice work.
2019-5-1
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

MKosmo Posted at 5-1 14:20
although I think generally the word 'cinematic' is over used, your video was excellent and delivered. Nice work.

I am another that thinks the "cinematic" obsession is a bit over the top. To me, many "cinematic" clips seem to accomplish little more that making the colors seem "off". This can be great when setting a obvious mood. But, in sceness considered "reality", I find it annoying.

Probably the biggest whine over the lack of the "D-Cinelike" option was from the "pros" that complained that they couldn't color grade to match their other footage. Chris' video demonstrates that all scenes  don't need to match and we still have a pleasing video.
2019-5-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nicely done!
2019-5-2
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Compliment, well done.
2019-5-2
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great video, nice review
2019-5-5
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There's no flat profile. This is misinformation.  I seem to have to type this over and over again in all the forums. The Cinelike is no more than a preset. It WILL NOT aid you in colour grading, It's a more 'muted' colour palette for sure but its not a LOG or flat. The camera does not shoot enough colour information to be graded properly. You can just as well shoot in normal profile and dip the colours in a light grade.

Cinematic is a word that is not only overused but used wrongly. there is nothing cinematic about a flat profile. What is cinematic about this video clip? the footage? Why?

It's now become click-bait to include the word cinematic into youtube videos to people buying this camera think they are getting the keys to a film makers dream toy. It's a VERY nice product and very capable of shooting some lovely stuff in the right moment with the right settings but putting it into D-CInelike does not magically transform it into a cinematic camera.
2019-5-6
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Satureyes Posted at 5-6 02:44
There's no flat profile. This is misinformation.  I seem to have to type this over and over again in all the forums. The Cinelike is no more than a preset. It WILL NOT aid you in colour grading, It's a more 'muted' colour palette for sure but its not a LOG or flat. The camera does not shoot enough colour information to be graded properly. You can just as well shoot in normal profile and dip the colours in a light grade.

Cinematic is a word that is not only overused but used wrongly. there is nothing cinematic about a flat profile. What is cinematic about this video clip? the footage? Why?

Cinematic : of, relating to, suggestive of, or suitable for motion pictures or the filming of motion pictures
Tweak in a little moody color and there you go.

As far as suitable for thee big screen goes, good luck!
2019-5-6
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 5-6 04:12
Cinematic : of, relating to, suggestive of, or suitable for motion pictures or the filming of motion pictures
Tweak in a little moody color and there you go.

haha If it's all grey and 'flat' then it must be 'professional'
2019-5-6
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Satureyes Posted at 5-6 05:39
haha If it's all grey and 'flat' then it must be 'professional'

A widescreen aspect ratio (2:35), orange and teal grading, and a bombastic film score. All that is needed for a "real" cinematic experience, except a story and interesting characters...Shot on a DJI Osmo Pocket in Cinemalike D with ND 8X + PL filters.
2019-5-6
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 5-6 16:09
https://youtu.be/_plcHWENZnQ

A widescreen aspect ratio (2:35), orange and teal grading, and a bombastic film score. All that is needed for a "real" cinematic experience, except a story and interesting characters...Shot on a DJI Osmo Pocket in Cinemalike D with ND 8X + PL filters.

dear oh dear
2019-5-7
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Curt1591 Posted at 5-1 16:32
I am another that thinks the "cinematic" obsession is a bit over the top. To me, many "cinematic" clips seem to accomplish little more that making the colors seem "off". This can be great when setting a obvious mood. But, in sceness considered "reality", I find it annoying.

Probably the biggest whine over the lack of the "D-Cinelike" option was from the "pros" that complained that they couldn't color grade to match their other footage. Chris' video demonstrates that all scenes  don't need to match and we still have a pleasing video.

I can fully agree with you.
2019-5-7
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

you might enjoy the humour in this ....
2019-5-7
Use props
The General
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13609 ft
Cambodia

Satureyes Posted at 5-6 02:44

Cinematic is a word that is not only overused but used wrongly. there is nothing cinematic about a flat profile. What is cinematic about this video clip? the footage? Why?

I don't know enough about video to agree or disagree with this, but I noticed something interesting last night...

I was filming in VERY low light (so low that I set it to 50fps with 50 shutter speed and ISO was around 1600, I think), and when I had the color set to 'normal' I couldn't see anything at all on the Pocket screen. I changed it to 'D-Cine' color and it was at least visible on the screen instead of totally black.

But I think I get your point, and some are talking about this mode like it's log or something, and you're saying it's just a preset or something.
2019-5-14
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The General Posted at 5-14 21:16
I don't know enough about video to agree or disagree with this, but I noticed something interesting last night...

I was filming in VERY low light (so low that I set it to 50fps with 50 shutter speed and ISO was around 1600, I think), and when I had the color set to 'normal' I couldn't see anything at all on the Pocket screen. I changed it to 'D-Cine' color and it was at least visible on the screen instead of totally black.

Yes. It's a preset that changes contrast, colour, and so on.
2019-5-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice work!
2019-5-17
Use props
spicemeister
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Forgot I posted this so I hadn't seen the comments but glad some of you guys enjoyed it!

In terms of the 'cinematic' word, in this instance I used it to describe a review that isn't just someone sat in front of camera and includes shots edited to music to tell a story of the review. I agree it's overused and I'm not entirely sure on the definition but it sounds fancy so I'm not entirely sure I care either haha.

Also with the flat profile, I'm sure it helps with dynamic range and makes it easier to bring out the colours your want similar to cine4 on Sony cameras!
2019-6-12
Use props
Drone*Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Apart from the use of the 'cinematic' word I think you nailed it with this review. I'm knocked out by the product not just because of the video quality but also since I don't now really need to carry a heavy tripod around with me to get stable shots anymore. I was filming crowd scenes at the BBC Antiques Roadshow last Tuesday with some shots using a slow pan and they were super smooth!
BTW the crowds are enormous at these events.
Regards.
2019-6-13
Use props
Drone*Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MKosmo
One last thought on this.......  The people who advocate 24p as against the standard for their particular country (ours is 25p) seem to me to be of the same mind as the old folks who were around in the sixties who bemoaned the arrival of Hi-Fi. They preferred the muffled "tone" of the old valve radios to the more 'realistic' sound of Hi-Fi. If people like 'jerky' video to remind them of cinema experiences then good luck to them but as far as I'm concerned I would rather have better quality video and as smooth as is possible.
2019-6-13
Use props
cosmic68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89042 ft
United Kingdom

spicemeister Posted at 6-12 20:32
Forgot I posted this so I hadn't seen the comments but glad some of you guys enjoyed it!

In terms of the 'cinematic' word, in this instance I used it to describe a review that isn't just someone sat in front of camera and includes shots edited to music to tell a story of the review. I agree it's overused and I'm not entirely sure on the definition but it sounds fancy so I'm not entirely sure I care either haha.

Really enjoyed it-good work.

I think your comments in video regarding it's use are spot on-it's not out to replace a big, expensive camera...but that doesn't mean you don't have to inspire to create something beautiful or 'cinematic style'.

It may never be shown in a cinema, but it's an aspiration and there's nothing wrong with that, but appreciate anyone can label their video as such, without it being remotely cinematic thus possibly annoying. I might come up with a more relevant description in future; 'cinematic aspiration' lol.

I think aside colouring and frame rates-it's a fantastic bit of mechanical kit that gives you cinema like movements and shots; that's partly cinematic by definition alone in itself. You can, in the palm of your hand, achieve movement in video that has characteristics of film. There's a company that sells lens and whatnot for smart phones called 'Moment' and they make the most incredibly beautiful short videos with their products-a joy to watch-all on a smartphone. The Osmo can do the same for an amateur hobbyist like me.

Have to disagree re the cinelike though, I find it awful. hideous noise in picture and more of a gimmick so far (but I think that's the same with some of their drones as per complaints in forums). The iPhone has a great video app called Filmic Pro and it has these so called log/flat profiles, but it has the same problems. As a previous poster said-i personally find myself much better off filming (on Osmo) in normal, then a light dip of a colour scheme after to unify a bit.

2019-6-14
Use props
Drone*Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

cosmic68 - Nice common sense post.
2019-6-14
Use props
spicemeister
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Drone*Mike Posted at 6-13 02:24
MKosmo
One last thought on this.......  The people who advocate 24p as against the standard for their particular country (ours is 25p) seem to me to be of the same mind as the old folks who were around in the sixties who bemoaned the arrival of Hi-Fi. They preferred the muffled "tone" of the old valve radios to the more 'realistic' sound of Hi-Fi. If people like 'jerky' video to remind them of cinema experiences then good luck to them but as far as I'm concerned I would rather have better quality video and as smooth as is possible.

It can definitely almost pass as a tripod shot if you keep it still enough, especially with z axis stabiliser if you're into that (I prefer to keep it as small as possible).

Also a very interesting take on frame rates and I kind of have of agree. I've been a professional full time videographer for years and done plenty of videos both corporate and weddings, and I shoot everything in 25/50/100 frames, never conform footage and always export in 50. Nobody has ever really noticed and the only people that might notice are other videographers who are not the target audience anyway!
2019-6-14
Use props
spicemeister
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

cosmic68 Posted at 6-14 01:04
Really enjoyed it-good work.

I think your comments in video regarding it's use are spot on-it's not out to replace a big, expensive camera...but that doesn't mean you don't have to inspire to create something beautiful or 'cinematic style'.

All good points and I know what you mean regarding the cinematic inspiration bit, it's more about the ability to create awesome looking films with 1 tool instead of many, and in many ways that doesn't limit you but encourages you to be more creative.

Also agree with the statement about the Moment lenses, amazing what they can do with those.

Interesting to know people's take on d cinelike and not liking it so much, I'll admit that I've struggled to grade with it but I'm not an expert in that field anyway, I just instantly turned it on when I got it as I always shoot in Cine4 on Sony cams but might look into whether it's worth shooting in the normal colour mode on OP.

Glad you like it and cheers for the comment!
2019-6-14
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

nice video....
2019-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules