Phantom 4 Pro - Gimbal Not Staying Level While Yawing
6588 25 2019-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Force Aerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11286 ft
United States

My Phantom 4 Pro is having a gimbal problem. It seems to be a software issue as I have never crashed and it has always been in a hardcase when traveling.
I have done:
Firmware downgrade
Firmware upgrade
IMU Calibration
Gimbal Auto Calibration
Airframe Calibration

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate your help. Please have a look at the video to see whats going on.

2019-5-1
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha FA,

There is a setting for the aircraft of "Follow" or "FPV" (First Person View).  FPV will tilt while YAWing.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-5-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bring up the grid in the app, go to gimbal settings and manually align the horizon if you are already in follow mode.
2019-5-2
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-2 01:30
Bring up the grid in the app, go to gimbal settings and manually align the horizon if you are already in follow mode.

Aloha A J,

Good suggestion.  Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-5-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 5-2 02:40
Aloha A J,

Good suggestion.  Mahalo!

2019-5-2
Use props
Force Aerial
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 5-1 20:50
Aloha FA,

There is a setting for the aircraft of "Follow" or "FPV" (First Person View).  FPV will tilt while YAWing.

This did not work. Same issue
2019-5-3
Use props
Force Aerial
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 5-2 01:30

I could do this, but then the gimbal is even more unlevel when yawing in the opposite direction. Think 5 minute video where the horizon needs to be level when turn in multiple different directions. It could do just that the first year and a half of owning it.
If i were only taking pictures, I agree, your solution will work. But recording video while turning, yawing, pitching is a whole different story.
2019-5-3
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Force Aerial Posted at 5-3 06:37
I could do this, but then the gimbal is even more unlevel when yawing in the opposite direction. Think 5 minute video where the horizon needs to be level when turn in multiple different directions. It could do just that the first year and a half of owning it.
If i were only taking pictures, I agree, your solution will work. But recording video while turning, yawing, pitching is a whole different story.

Setting it manually should not cause a see-saw effect, just align the horizon for all directions - if that is happening you may have a bigger issue with your gimbal motors.
2019-5-3
Use props
Force Aerial
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 5-3 06:48
Setting it manually should not cause a see-saw effect, just align the horizon for all directions - if that is happening you may have a bigger issue with your gimbal motors.

I appreciate your help, but did you watch the whole video. The gimbal starts level and ends level after
about 10 seconds of correct itself. The problem is that it takes to long to make this correction. The horizon needs to be level or close to level while shooting a video where the p4p making multiple turns. Not just up and down or making one turn to the left or right.
2019-5-3
Use props
Force Aerial
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 5-3 06:48

Also what do you mean by "align the horizon for all directions"?
2019-5-3
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Force Aerial Posted at 5-3 07:34
Also what do you mean by "align the horizon for all directions"?

After you align the gimbal manually it should remain level to the horizon irrespective of the yaw movement or pitch angle of the drone.
2019-5-3
Use props
Force Aerial
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 5-3 07:38
After you align the gimbal manually it should remain level to the horizon irrespective of the yaw movement or pitch angle of the drone.

Yes correct, if I manually align the gimbal to the horizon pointed in one direction for a photograph, the image will have a level horizon.
But I am shooting video. During a video, the drone is pointed in multiple directions. While maneuvering the drone from one direction to another, the horizon line becomes tilted. This is not normal. It used to keep a level horizon at all times while shooting a video.
2019-5-3
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Force Aerial Posted at 5-3 07:48
Yes correct, if I manually align the gimbal to the horizon pointed in one direction for a photograph, the image will have a level horizon.
But I am shooting video. During a video, the drone is pointed in multiple directions. While maneuvering the drone from one direction to another, the horizon line becomes tilted. This is not normal. It used to keep a level horizon at all times while shooting a video.

That is my point - it should keep a straight horizon all the time once set. If it now doesn't then you may have a fault with the gimbal if you have tried calibrating it etc already and nothing has changed. In that case you may be better off contacting DJI support in your area.
2019-5-3
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

A J Posted at 5-3 07:57
That is my point - it should keep a straight horizon all the time once set. If it now doesn't then you may have a fault with the gimbal if you have tried calibrating it etc already and nothing has changed. In that case you may be better off contacting DJI support in your area.

I would try adjusting the Yaw Movement Limit in the Sensitivity  settings-The Main Controller Settings Advanced Settings.
2019-5-3
Use props
Force Aerial
lvl.2
United States

ATJ Posted at 5-3 09:17
I would try adjusting the Yaw Movement Limit in the Sensitivity  settings-The Main Controller Settings Advanced Settings.

Please walk me through the path to get to the Yaw Movement Limit on a P4P+

I cannot find what you are referring to.
2019-5-5
Use props
koopmans
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7497 ft
Netherlands

I am having the exact same problem, with my phantom 4 pro v1. Whenever I yaw, the horizon tilts in the same way. It takes about 10 -15 seconds to return to normal. Very annoying. The solutions offered in this thread dont work.
2019-8-19
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Turn the bottom left map to Atti mode and see the copter tilt.  I would max the gain on all the settings then make another video to see if it fixed it.  I've increased the gain to 125 from 100% before but it seemed to overload the computer.  My drone works great for mapping so I don't really care.  I have to run it in regular mode because HD in Photo can sometimes crash the computer and I lose the feed and connection.  I have made all my money back from mapping and still make more so it's free.

Also, try lowering the gain to the lowest to see what happens.
2019-8-19
Use props
Grant Essex
lvl.1

Canada

I am a late comer to this thread, but i have the exact problem as Aerial Force does with my P4P.  I agree with koopmans that none of the solutions in this thread work, and that because this is not a common issue it would seem that only those who fall victim to it understand what it is like to deal with it.  At this point i think that there is not a software problem, but a hardware problem with the gimbal, and even AJ mentioned this as a possibility.  Probably a DJI service center would be the only alternative left.
2021-5-25
Use props
Stratcat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4283012 ft
Canada

Grant Essex Posted at 5-25 17:37
I am a late comer to this thread, but i have the exact problem as Aerial Force does with my P4P.  I agree with koopmans that none of the solutions in this thread work, and that because this is not a common issue it would seem that only those who fall victim to it understand what it is like to deal with it.  At this point i think that there is not a software problem, but a hardware problem with the gimbal, and even AJ mentioned this as a possibility.  Probably a DJI service center would be the only alternative left.

It's likely the sensors on the yaw motor have been damaged. Mine did this very thing until I changed the yaw motor and ribbon cable.
2021-6-29
Use props
Grant Essex
lvl.1

Canada

Stratcat Posted at 6-29 08:10
It's likely the sensors on the yaw motor have been damaged. Mine did this very thing until I changed the yaw motor and ribbon cable.

Thanks for that interesting suggestion.  I just replaced my gimbal yaw/roll circuit board with a new one i bought (new condition, and compatible with the P4P) on Ebay and it failed instantly.  What i mean is that, it heated up after less than a minute and started burning one of the ribbon cables after a minute, i could smell it.  Also, the new circuit board behaved erratically, worse than the one i tried to replace.  

So now what i am wondering is, if the yaw motor sensors are defective, why would two different circuit boards have two different reactions instead of one common reation since they are the same thing?  I don't see how a new circuit board could not be compatible with my gimbal, but since i've never considered the yaw motor sensors, i have only at present to assume that the solution lies with a new yaw motor and ribbon cable since it worked for you.  

Frustrated, but glad for any advice.
2021-7-1
Use props
djiuser_aA9yhIxFVlH8
New

Switzerland

Hello, any solution found for this case??? Thank you.
2021-9-12
Use props
djiuser_Bz96PkIZMgZX
New

Switzerland

Force Aerial Posted at 2019-5-5 07:36
Please walk me through the path to get to the Yaw Movement Limit on a P4P+

I cannot find what you are referring to.

Hello, did you find a solution to this problem?
2021-9-20
Use props
fans959dc118
lvl.2
Flight distance : 650623 ft

United States

Had the same issue. Not 100% sure on cause, but a replacement for the whole gimbal assembly with a spare drone I have did resolve the issue at least.
2021-9-27
Use props
djiuser_Bz96PkIZMgZX
New

Turkey

fans959dc118 Posted at 9-27 16:24
Had the same issue. Not 100% sure on cause, but a replacement for the whole gimbal assembly with a spare drone I have did resolve the issue at least.

Whole gimbal assembly?? Where did you find it? Is it hard to replace?
2021-10-4
Use props
djiuser_vuU0VbK1XuRz
New
United States

Having the same issue with a Phantom 4 Pro gimbal as in the video above as of 5/30/2022, although mine is more pronounced. When pointed straight ahead, the gimbal is level. As I yaw it begins to point upwards and in the direction of the turn, so far that at 90° all I can see through the camera is the blades rotating. Has anyone found a solution other than replacing the entire gimbal?
2022-5-29
Use props
dejansmaic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 464757 ft
United States

It's December 4, 2022 and recently discovered this problem on my P4P v1 while trying to sell my drone.  Software is not the issue, it is hardware. Cost to replace the gimbal = almost a new Air2S, more than my P4P is worth.  Looks like I'm stuck with this problem unless another buyer wants to inherited it.  Still a pretty functional drone.
2022-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules