• >>>
United Kingdom

Risky but awesome footage
2019-5-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

It must be terrifying. Hope everybody is fine.
2019-5-2
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

Nice, if you get caugth in there it will give point of interest a completely new meaning.
2019-5-2
Use props
BatStryker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 338812 ft
United States

Wow, Looks like you were able to follow it till it dissipated.  I assume this was your Mavic Pro? Were you at all concerned about the possibility of the twister sucking the aircraft into itself? What precautions did you take? How did you prepare for the flight?
2019-5-2
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

Nice Video
2019-5-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BatStryker Posted at 5-2 07:35
Wow, Looks like you were able to follow it till it dissipated.  I assume this was your Mavic Pro? Were you at all concerned about the possibility of the twister sucking the aircraft into itself? What precautions did you take? How did you prepare for the flight?

He did say it is not his video...
2019-5-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 5-2 08:23
He did say it is not his video...

Correct!  It is NOT my video.  
Saw video, and Wow!  Thought others might be interested in unique and positive use of a drone.
My understanding is, last such footage was done many moons ago from helicopter.

Admittedly this was a small tornado, nothing compared to F5, F4, F3.  F5 tornadoes rip up sidewalks and toss trucks around like in a Godzilla movie.  No flying cows either...

Here is a good use of a drone that reduces risk of life.  Flying a whirly bird near nature's whirly is very risk.  Not merely from winds, but from flying debris that could get sucked into engine, clip a blade, or take out tail rotor - with human life at stake.
2019-5-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

BatStryker Posted at 5-2 07:35

Not my video.  Saw video, and posted a link.  Thought it would of interest.  Along with showing a positive use of a drone.
2019-5-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-2 08:59
Correct!  It is NOT my video.  
Saw video, and Wow!  Thought others might be interested in unique and positive use of a drone.
My understanding is, last such footage was done many moons ago from helicopter.

Great find mate - we thankfully don't get those things here - not to that extent anyway so interesting to see one for real and at altitude with a drone.
2019-5-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Flybee Posted at 5-2 07:22
Nice, if you get caugth in there it will give point of interest a completely new meaning.

Wonder if there would be any Scientific benefit of flying a sensor laden drone above and down into a Tornado?  

Definitely would want enhanced video transmission to get full 4k resolution transmitted.  Being chances of recovering drone, then recovering micro-SD card with full 4k resolution would be slim to none.

Show of hands...  
Who wants to be first to fly their DJI Mavic above and down into a Tornado?  
2019-5-2
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, insane video. I wonder what drone was the pilot flying?
2019-5-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 5-2 11:25
Wow, insane video. I wonder what drone was the pilot flying?

Same question here.  Looked over U-tub comments, found where some ask that question.  But no answer as to Brand and Model.
2019-5-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ha, I missed this one.
Just shared it....
2019-5-3
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Awesome! Thanks for sharing
2019-5-3
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-2 09:07
Wonder if there would be any Scientific benefit of flying a sensor laden drone above and down into a Tornado?  

Definitely would want enhanced video transmission to get full 4k resolution transmitted.  Being chances of recovering drone, then recovering micro-SD card with full 4k resolution would be slim to none.

Why not use a tracking device on the drone to go get it when the storm is over. Shouldn't be that hard and i am sure the storm chasers have already thought of this so i will wait...
2019-5-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

BobB Posted at 5-3 05:46
Why not use a tracking device on the drone to go get it when the storm is over. Shouldn't be that hard and i am sure the storm chasers have already thought of this so i will wait...

Tracking device might work, might not.  Having seen aftermath of a few Tornadoes in person, be a miracle for tracking device to: 1) stay attached to carcass of drone and 2) still be working.

If one were to intentional fly a drone very near or into a tornado, would be worth adding a tracking device.  However, I would go into such an endeavor with mindset of: I will be buying a new drone.
2019-5-3
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-3 12:44
Tracking device might work, might not.  Having seen aftermath of a few Tornadoes in person, be a miracle for tracking device to: 1) stay attached to carcass of drone and 2) still be working.

If one were to intentional fly a drone very near or into a tornado, would be worth adding a tracking device.  However, I would go into such an endeavor with mindset of: I will be buying a new drone.

No guts no glory
2019-5-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 5-3 04:21
Ha, I missed this one.
Just shared it....

No problem!  Several people saw your thread, who missed this one.
Tornado in video looks like an F1?  Been great had they gotten a video of a F5.  Forget flying cows, think flying 18-wheelers and plowed fields.
2019-5-3
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The stability flying under those winds is insane.  What drone?
2019-5-23
Use props
Miro Perez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 25374 ft
United States

Scary but cool and satisfying
2019-8-16
Use props
ShiuRao
lvl.3
Flight distance : 185673 ft
New Zealand

Amazing footage! Thanks for sharing with us!
2022-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules