2019-5-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video.
I personally would not make all these fancy transitions.
But that is a matter of personal taste of course
2019-5-6
Use props
fans7c41fccc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31473 ft
Hong Kong

Montfrooij Posted at 5-6 01:23
Nice video.
I personally would not make all these fancy transitions.
But that is a matter of personal taste of course

Thanks Montfrooij,

actually I am still learning and I have a steep learning curve because my experience are all in photos... and i never like touching up the colour, I like straight from the camera...

and now because things are moving, i got to plan, connect, touch up in case of angle change, blah blah blah... I am still a little confused......
2019-5-6
Use props
Mitch72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69213 ft
United Kingdom

Nice footage
2019-5-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans7c41fccc Posted at 5-6 22:22
Thanks Montfrooij,

actually I am still learning and I have a steep learning curve because my experience are all in photos... and i never like touching up the colour, I like straight from the camera...

You're welcome!
I know where you are at.
Been there also.
Very nice to be able to add moving picture to your skillset
2019-5-6
Use props
fans7c41fccc
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Montfrooij Posted at 5-6 23:27
You're welcome!
I know where you are at.
Been there also.

Yeah, I know a lot of people has been through the same stage of mine.... that's why I'd like to seek for some opinion like you have gave too, thanks a lot.....

in fact, without using too many animated transitions, how would you plan your shooting to tell a story?

Correct me if I am wrong, but in my personal idea, I guess even if I am going to fly pointlessly at a place I've been to a million times, I still need a story line and some exciting/refreshing shots to make appealing video, may I ask:

- How do you usually get inspiration to think of a story line?
- How is a story line usually look like?
- How do you plan your shots?
- How long should each shot be?

I tends to forget what kind footages are in which video,

- How do you usually manage your editing ??

and
- what stimulates you most when you arrive a place?
- what do you look for to start planning when you're there?

sorry for throwing out so many questions, and sorry if they are silly, but some tips would certainly make my next flight a bit more effective I believe... thanks in advance

2019-5-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent footage
2019-5-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans7c41fccc Posted at 5-7 00:30
Yeah, I know a lot of people has been through the same stage of mine.... that's why I'd like to seek for some opinion like you have gave too, thanks a lot.....

in fact, without using too many animated transitions, how would you plan your shooting to tell a story?

Hahahahahaha.
No problem.
Always nice to share some of my mind

Now this is just how I do it (by now way how a pro would do it I guess)
I come from a 'ground camera' situation but every since I started to incorporate drones I found out I had to adopt my thinking process.

In the past (ground camera only) I had various scenario's that I liked to film and for every scenario I had a rough scene plan in mind.
I just had to make sure I ticked most of those scenes and knew I was ok for my edit.
Nothing fancy, nothing on paper, just some shot lists that I have in my mind.

Since I am the only person in this process, it works very efficiently.
And if I make sure I get all the important shots it is ok and I can make edits very fast.

This 'experience' started when I was 6 years old when I first went to a railway station to film trains with my dad. (I'm 38 now) and got kickstarted after the first digital camera was available and I could start editing my footage (I think that was about when I was 18)

It was then when I realized some shots worked, some did not and I just used my own judgment for that (youtube was not around back then)
I also started reading about filming a bit and incorporated that knowledge into my shooting.
My gear improved a bit (the tripod was my best investment I guess) and for 19 years I sort of shot my movies on the same knowledge set.

The introduction of a DSLR that could film was another improvement that forced me to change my shooting style (depth of field is a very nice thing to be playing around with) and with the addition of 3 kids to the family, I also had to reduce the time needed to set up my gear (no time to fiddle with tripods when your kid makes her first steps)

But all this changed when I got a drone.
All at a sudden there was a ton of things I never knew I had to take into consideration.
Of course I watched tons and tons of tutorials and thought about the moves I wanted to make, but in real life this is not as easy as it looks.

So in the recent 12 months I had to learn how to shoot what I had in mind (and this is not something I fully master yet)
With the main difference being me not knowing what I will see when I will get up there.
So I had to start thinking in a different way. Not in specific shots, but more like 'themes' I want to cover.

So how does that work for me?
Let's say I am shooting a railway video. I first scout the area for places I can stand (safely) and check local regulations for being allowed to fly there.
I try to figure out where the sun is (important for ground camera, the drone can fly to the other side quickly)
Also I have to try and find out when my subject (trains) will be there.

When all that is done (if I have the time to do this), I set up my gear (depending on the possibilities)
and I think about my shot list.
That is usually something like this:
1. Where am I
2. What is happening here
3. What is interesting to see further

I have to make sure 1 and 2 are covered, otherwise the video has no meaning.
Nr 3 is a bonus that makes the edit more interesting.

Nr 2 is the train in this scenario, so that is important to catch.
In the meantime, I fly around, or set up my tripod to film 1 and 3.
Look for interesting light, compositions etc.

Usually this scenario is 1 moment only, so I don't use footage from other days.
Also I have to remember to record sound while I'm not flying (to set in the background)
I try to keep my shots 8 - 12 sec, unless there is something happening (train moving) because that is more than enough usually.
That way editing is simple. I know my shots and they get their place sort of chronologically.

With other scenario's (like a family video of the summer holiday) it gets more complicated.
Multiple locations, camera's, stories.
But still you need sort of a story.
Where am I, what is going on and what do I want to tell.

So that is my basic guideline for every film I shoot and edit.

Start small. Try what works. Improve every time and learn from your own mistakes
2019-5-7
Use props
fans7c41fccc
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Montfrooij Posted at 5-7 01:42
Hahahahahaha.
No problem.

Thanks a lot for your information, it is very very informative... judging myself into your long journey, I guess at my 39, I am now at where you were when you were 19

But I get your idea, especially when you mentioned about how your mindset evolved... I do not have kids, so most of the stuffs I'll be shooting would be scenery, but no doubt that there are always moments that you don't get a 2nd chance too... got to remember that....

I like your idea on forming a "Theme" on what I want to do... I think I'd start of by watching tutorials on video filming, and paying attention to my surrounding, adding more imagination into it.... hopefully that would form up themes for myself.....

anyway, thanks a lot... I'd definitely find more chance to bomb you with more questions...
2019-5-7
Use props
fans7c41fccc
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Montfrooij Posted at 5-7 01:42
Hahahahahaha.
No problem.

Thanks a lot for your information, it is very very inspiring... judging myself into your long journey, I guess at my 39, I am now at where you were when you were 19

But I get your idea, especially when you mentioned about how your mindset evolved... I do not have kids, so most of the stuffs I'll be shooting would be scenery, but no doubt that there are always moments that you don't get a 2nd chance too... got to remember that....

I like your idea on forming a "Theme" on what I want to do, and those 3 points... I think I'd start of by watching tutorials on video filming, and paying attention to my surrounding, adding more imagination into it.... hopefully that would form up themes for myself.....

anyway, thanks a lot... I'd definitely find more chance to bomb you with more questions...
2019-5-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans7c41fccc Posted at 5-7 02:25
Thanks a lot for your information, it is very very informative... judging myself into your long journey, I guess at my 39, I am now at where you were when you were 19

Hahahaha.
Some learn quick.
I took my time
PS, is that you holding a 4 string?
2019-5-7
Use props
fans7c41fccc
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Montfrooij Posted at 5-7 02:46
Hahahaha.
Some learn quick.
I took my time

I guess I'm those who'd take time too, as I am keen on fully digest before I could execute things....

Yes it's a 4 string P-Bass, Japanese brand called Edwards by ESP... you're a musician too??

Sold and ordered a Sadowsky tho...
2019-5-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans7c41fccc Posted at 5-9 00:07
I guess I'm those who'd take time too, as I am keen on fully digest before I could execute things....

Yes it's a 4 string P-Bass, Japanese brand called Edwards by ESP... you're a musician too??

That is a good way of doing things!
Yes, I'm the bass player in a gospelband
2019-5-9
Use props
fans7c41fccc
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Montfrooij Posted at 5-9 00:28
That is a good way of doing things!
Yes, I'm the bass player in a gospelband

I play in church most of the time..... but man, I love bass playing.... I was at first a drummer at the beginning, now I play bass more....

Miss that little P-Bass for a bit... it came with Syemour Duncan PUPs....
2019-5-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans7c41fccc Posted at 5-9 01:32
I play in church most of the time..... but man, I love bass playing.... I was at first a drummer at the beginning, now I play bass more....

Yeah, we usually play in churches also
Nice to hear.
I can imagine.
I have my SDG 5 string for about 15 years now.
Love it a lot.
2019-5-9
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Good work, thanks for sharing
2019-5-9
Use props
fans7c41fccc
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Montfrooij Posted at 5-9 01:48
Yeah, we usually play in churches also
Nice to hear.
I can imagine.

I suppose you only need one good instrument....
2019-5-13
Use props
Mitch72
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nice job.... Those buildings with the mountain ridge in the background would make a excellent sunrise/sunset image ...
2019-5-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans7c41fccc Posted at 5-13 19:41
I suppose you only need one good instrument....

Yeah true!
2019-5-13
Use props
fans7c41fccc
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Mitch72 Posted at 5-13 20:10
Nice job.... Those buildings with the mountain ridge in the background would make a excellent sunrise/sunset image ...

indeed yes, they would..... this is the Peak in Hong Kong...... I was flying at a park around 15 mins walk from the tram station... nice to be there on a sunny day...
2019-5-13
Use props
Mitch72
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans7c41fccc Posted at 5-13 21:49
indeed yes, they would..... this is the Peak in Hong Kong...... I was flying at a park around 15 mins walk from the tram station... nice to be there on a sunny day...

Very beautiful area .. I look forward to see more
2019-5-13
Use props
fans7c41fccc
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Mitch72 Posted at 5-13 21:59
Very beautiful area .. I look forward to see more

I'll then try my best to shoot more
2019-5-14
Use props