Spark gains altitude and keeps going up on low battery return to ...
990 10 2019-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Techque
lvl.1
United States

Spark gains altitude and keeps going up on low battery return to home function, but was under a tree! Not pretty;
eventually it fell out of the sky on 'motor obstruction'.

I was never able to regain control.  Tried cancelling 'return to home', but was low battery activated
and would not let go.  Any ideas how to regain manual control?

2019-5-3
Use props
Mort62
lvl.3
Flight distance : 505046 ft
United States

Try the pause button and check what you want the rth height to be in the app.
2019-5-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Alex. We do apologize for the incident happened to your Spark. The best way that I can advice you since you experience a crashed is to contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason for the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Just a friendly reminder we highly recommend flying your drone to an open space just in case the aircraft malfunction or crashes no one will be injured. Thank you for your understanding. Best Regards!
2019-5-3
Use props
Techque
lvl.1
United States

Mort62 Posted at 5-3 14:54
Try the pause button and check what you want the rth height to be in the app.

Pause Button.  Works like a champ, my new best friend.

Thx vary much.    JimB
2019-5-4
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Usually the "cancel RTH" button works always.So in case you really sure that you did hit the cancel button on the remote or the display, and it did not work, get DJI the needed logs to find out what's wrong!

But it just can be that there wasn't enough time to react on the button!
How much space from the moment it started RTH, you trying to cancel, till it hit the tree?
In meter or ft, please!

You wanna shine a bit light on the incident?
Follow this and post the link:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

2019-5-4
Use props
chaseapaul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9193 ft

France

In Settings on DJI G4 app what is the RTH flight height?

It will not care if you are at 10 meters and the RTH is defaulted at 30  that unit will stop what it is doing climb to the 30 move the 10m to the home and then drop to the ground.

Try to use and keep an eye on the Pause button.
2019-5-8
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

chaseapaul@outlook.com Posted at 5-8 12:38
In Settings on DJI G4 app what is the RTH flight height?

It will not care if you are at 10 meters and the RTH is defaulted at 30  that unit will stop what it is doing climb to the 30 move the 10m to the home and then drop to the ground.

That was going to be my suggestion.  Sounds like you have the RTH height set to a certain level so the Spark will to that height then return home.
2019-5-8
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

It's allways better to check RTH height before you fly. If it is no any tall objects around area where you are going to fly, there is no need to set RTH altitude to high. Actually in rural area 30-50 metres is enough.
2019-5-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

But under trees?
There is no setting to below 20m, anyway.
So the distance to the hompoint is important.
If closer as 20m a land or rth at current hight (minimum 2.5m though) is available.
Or always have an eye on battery and pause/rth button.
2019-5-9
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Ooh.  You have to be REAL CAREFUL under a tree, or under any object as spark's instinct is to go UP if something goes wrong.
2019-5-9
Use props
Micato
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2057103 ft
Croatia

Just to say, if you have a Spark in a VLOS (visual line of sight) and under a tree, in RTH set it to "HOVER" if it disconnects to avoid crash. BTW. I did not know that if you do not have GPS location updated, blocked by building etc. , Spark will never go higher than 5 meters. I hate that and DJI never said why they set it up that way.
2019-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules