6337 22 2019-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

EDIT:  I had stated that I thought that the RODE Wireless GO system did not like hot switching between external microphones and the internal microphone (see note in my video).
It turns out that I had a bad transmitter unit and my internal microphone was getting muted when I plugged in an external microphone but was not unmuting right away when I unplugged the external microphone.  My faulty unit was replaced at no cost to me and hot switching between external microphones and the internal microphone works just fine now.
EDIT to EDIT:

David Harry is now reporting the same problem with his RODE Wireless GO as I had reported above.

Word of caution. if you try to plug a microphone into the Wireless GO and feel any kind of friction stop and examine the plug that you are using.  I am thinking that RODE had set the toerances quite tight on the jack and if you force one in bigger then specs (mostly seen in DIY cheap plugs) it might force the part of the jack that controls if the internal microphone is muted to hang.  Try pressing the front and back of the RODE Wireless GO transmitter up near the area of the microphone jack while watching the RODE Wireless GO reciever to see if the internal microphone becomes active.  If it does you have the same problem as I had.  Return it for an exchange and document the problem.  RODE really needs to look into this.

Here is a YouTube link to my Audio testing using the Rode Wireless Go system with the Osmo Pocket.  I tested the built-in RODE microphone, extrernal Edutige EMT-001 microphone and external Clippy Mono ETM-172 microphone.

Results were very promising.  It's almost like the RODE Wireless Go is acting ike a preamp for the Osmo Pocket audio adapter.  

Cheers,
Bob

2019-5-4
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Well done! You appear to have 2 mono tracks. Is that correct? Is that how the “Stereo” effect works? I ordered mine today
2019-5-4
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

New Osmo Pocket - Wireless Go Configuration

OP with Wireless Go

OP with Wireless Go
2019-5-4
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TheCameraGuy Posted at 5-4 17:48
Well done! You appear to have 2 mono tracks. Is that correct? Is that how the “Stereo” effect works? I ordered mine today

The Rode Wireless Go appears to be putting the audio on both tracks. This is most likely why the OP is happy and not recording the mono plus a delayed osmo produced second track.

2019-5-4
Use props
AleX Spin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3 ft
Italy

Hi Bob,

thanks for sharing with us the video.

Did you test the wireless go with some obstacols between transmitter and receiver?
From this video it seems there are some issues.
Have a great day!

AleX
2019-5-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Bob. Thank you for sharing this Test Video you have created. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-5-5
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

AleX Spin Posted at 5-5 00:26
Hi Bob,

thanks for sharing with us the video.

AleX,

No I didn’t do an obstruction test of the Wireless GO as I had seen results of others tests in that area and am well aware of the limitations of using 2.4Ghz.

My first concern was in the area of interfacing the Wireless GO with the Osmo Pocket’s audio interface so I concentrated my test on that area.

Bob
2019-5-5
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As usual, a very informative video - many thanks for posting Bob.

Can you please confirm that the Wireless Go connects directly to the OP via the DJI audio connector ?? Are there any additional cables required - many thanks in advance
2019-5-7
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Gelert Posted at 5-7 08:19
As usual, a very informative video - many thanks for posting Bob.

Can you please confirm that the Wireless Go connects directly to the OP via the DJI audio connector ?? Are there any additional cables required - many thanks in advance

Gelert,

RODE provides a 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS coiled cable for connecting the Wireless GO receiver to a camera.  This cable is all that is needed to connect to the Osmo Pocket audio adapter.

Bob
GO Cable.jpg
2019-5-7
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many thanks Bob - you're a gem
2019-5-7
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Gelert Posted at 5-7 12:52
Many thanks Bob - you're a gem

My pleasure. You are welcome.
2019-5-7
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-5-7
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have found that the Middle DB setting on the Rode Wireless GO works the best with the Osmo Pocket. I have been very happy with the results myself.
2019-5-8
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

KerryG Posted at 5-8 06:30
I have found that the Middle DB setting on the Rode Wireless GO works the best with the Osmo Pocket. I have been very happy with the results myself.

KerryG,

I think that you are correct especially when using the built in microphone and with some of the hotter microphone available.  But 0dB might be the way to go with some of the lower level input microphones.

Needless to say, putting the RODE Wireless GO into the audio chain sure improves the levels.

Bob
2019-5-8
Use props
Chuchi
lvl.1
Italy

BobWinNV Posted at 5-8 12:29
KerryG,

I think that you are correct especially when using the built in microphone and with some of the hotter microphone available.  But 0dB might be the way to go with some of the lower level input microphones.

HI, being a newbie in the use of OP, I'd like to ask you HOW did you fix the device on your Oslo Pocket ? Thanks for sharing
Christian
2019-5-9
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Chuchi Posted at 5-9 04:14
HI, being a newbie in the use of OP, I'd like to ask you HOW did you fix the device on your Oslo Pocket ? Thanks for sharing
Christian

PGYTECH has an Osmo Pocket Data Port to Cold Shoe mount which the RODE Wireless GO will fit into or you can buy a plastic cold shoe mount and super glue it to a Osmo Pocket tripod or selfie stick mount.  There are also some other options for the Osmo Pocket that include cold shoe mounts.

The receiver portion of the RODE Wireless GO has a clip on the back that will fit into a cold shoe mount.
2019-5-9
Use props
Chuchi
lvl.1
Italy

BobWinNV Posted at 5-9 08:54
PGYTECH has an Osmo Pocket Data Port to Cold Shoe mount which the RODE Wireless GO will fit into or you can buy a plastic cold shoe mount and super glue it to a Osmo Pocket tripod or selfie stick mount.  There are also some other options for the Osmo Pocket that include cold shoe mounts.

The receiver portion of the RODE Wireless GO has a clip on the back that will fit into a cold shoe mount.

Thanks, that's clearer...Mine arrived on last Monday...SO....
2019-5-9
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi Bob.

Another great example, thanks.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-9
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 5-9 17:00
Hi Bob.

Another great example, thanks.

Thanks Dave,

I look forward to your testing of the RODE Wireless GO as well.

Cheers,
Bob
2019-5-9
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 5-9 19:20
Thanks Dave,

I look forward to your testing of the RODE Wireless GO as well.

Hi Bob.

One of the first mics I'm going to test is my Nano 172 in the metal case. This my be small enough and with a low enough profile so that it plugs straight into the Go's transmitter and is still usuable as a body/shirt mounted device.

If it doesn't bulk up the transmitter too much if could be an awesome system, as the 172 is way better than any other omni ECM I've tried. judging by your video and the difference between the Go's internal compared to the Clippy, the 172 sounds like a massive improvement.

BTW. I've had a few people get in touch with me asking could I build them some variations of my Nano 172. I'm looking for a source for some variations on the bodies and may start making some hand built mics to sell. I'm not trying to become a mic manufacturer but I thought it may be useful to offer something to goose who can't do the self builds and modifications themselves.

I've just got hold of a cool URL in case I decide to make any to sell, www.SmallMic.com

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-10
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I just received my Rode Go. Can’t wait to try it. I also bought a pocket TelePrompTer, which completes my one man band content creator.  It’s made by Parrot if you are interested.
2019-5-10
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 5-10 02:18
Hi Bob.

One of the first mics I'm going to test is my Nano 172 in the metal case. This my be small enough and with a low enough profile so that it plugs straight into the Go's transmitter and is still usuable as a body/shirt mounted device.

I tried the EM-172 in a plastic case and I was getting some RF interference through.  I will have to rebuild mine in a metal case as well.  I also noticed handling noise on the Edutige ETM-001when I plugged it directly into the RODE Wireless GO Transmitter. The Edutige however is in a metal case and did not have the RF interference that I noticed on the plastic housed EM-172.

Please let me know if you find a good source for metal cases for the EM-172.  

I think that your building EM-172s is a great idea.  SmallMic.com sounds like a good start.

Bob
2019-5-10
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TheCameraGuy Posted at 5-10 08:51
I just received my Rode Go. Can’t wait to try it. I also bought a pocket TelePrompTer, which completes my one man band content creator.  It’s made by Parrot if you are interested.

Have fun with your GO.  Let me know if you find anything new about it.
2019-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules