#Dronestrategy – Flying your DJI in the USA
20110 21 2019-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gill
lvl.1

United States

Flying your DJI in the USA
Hello and welcome to the United States of America!

e9bd5fd.jpg

This information is good for all recreational fliers within the USA but for the purposes of this article let’s assume that you are a tourist wishing to fly your DJI drone recreationally while traveling within the United States.

Following the below steps will ensure that you are operating your DJI drone responsibly and safely. More importantly, you will have the necessary links and information to be compliant with all USA drone registration requirements.
Underlined text are links to the referenced website!

Registering your drone:

The regulatory agency with oversite of drone operations within the United States (USA) is the Federal Aviation Administration or FAA. The FAA requires all pilots, including non-US citizens and tourist to register drones operating outdoors and weighing over 250 grams. Fortunately, registration can be completed online and is relatively pain free. The cost to register a drone with the FAA is 5 US dollars and once registered is good for three years. When you visit the FAA registration page linked below you will need to have your drone serial number, contact information, and a credit or debit card to process the fee. Upon completion of the registration process you will immediately be able to print a registration card as evidence you are in compliance with US registration requirements. It is recommended that you always carry this card with you when operating your DJI drone. To operate commercial or for hire within the USA there are additional requirements and licensing needed, research “FAA Part 107 Certification” for further information. No insurance is required to operate your DJI recreationally within the USA, though I will always recommend a personal injury liability policy. The USA and it's citizenry have somewhat of a reputation for being litigious so when in doubt protect yourself!

Once you have registered your drone be sure to clearly print the FAA registration number on the UAV.
This UAV marking has no requirements and can be as simple as a handwritten registration number on a piece of tape.

faa main.JPG   
FAA MAIN UAS PAGE
faa drone zone.JPG
FAA DRONE ZONE

Picking a flight location:

The USA totals 9.6 million square kilometers and features stunning sunsets, marvelous meadows and bewitching beaches. The FAA has created a mobile phone application called “B4UFLY” which includes a bevy of FAA provided UAS piloting information. The most important piece of information provided by B4UFLY is mapping with current airspace restrictions. Helpful for tourist or those planning to fly in the future is a flight planner that allows you to check the area of your planned flight prior to arrival.

b4u.JPG
FAA B4UFLY MAIN PAGE
          faa b4.JPG
B4UFLY - Apple Itunes Store , B4UFLY - Google Play Store

Additional none-FAA created mapping applications exist and I have appreciated “UAV Forecast” for it’s accurate weather, satellite and wind condition information. UAV Forecast also features mapping that allows you to overlay the existing DJI no fly zones NFZs a feature not available on B4UFLY. The full functionality of the UAV forecast application is available online at the below link for international travelers who may not have USA compliant mobile phones.

uav.JPG
UAV Forecast Website
          uav apple.JPG            
UAV Forecast Apple Store    UAV Forecast Google Play Store

The most basic flight rules required by the FAA in the USA are below:

Fly at or below 400 feet (121 M) when in uncontrolled airspace (Class G)
         Fly within visual line-of-sight, meaning you as the drone operator use your own eyes to ensure you can always see your drone
         Never fly near other aircraft
         Never fly within a 5-mile (8 KM) radius of an airport
         Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people.
         Never fly near or over emergency response efforts

Dealing with Americans:

There exists a healthy amount of anti-drone sentiment within the United States. Many Americans believe that drones are an invasion of privacy and by extension their personal liberty as citizens. This results in some rather passionate contacts between UAV pilots and persons who would rather see your DJI shot out of the sky. I do not want to cause undue worry as most Americans that you encounter will be curious and courteous about your UAV piloting. Below are some helpful and unfortunately relevant advice.

2f6cb45.jpg

Be respectful of law enforcement and security forces; do exactly as you are told.

Consider landing your UAV before engaging in conversation with strangers; the added demand of conversing in a foreign language is bound to distract you from your piloting.

Avoid escalation at all costs; if you are challenged consider relocating to another flying location.

Understand that a lot of Americans feel entitled to an expectation of privacy even when in public or on privately owned land. It may not be correct but you are very unlikely to change their minds.

Understand that in large swaths of the country a landowner can quite literally shoot your drone out of the sky if you wander over their property and you may have very little recourse.

Know that racial tensions and prejudice are alive and well in the USA. Be aware that flying as an international traveler particularly near heavy infrastructure (bridges, commercial facility, manufacturing plants) may result in undue attention.

I appreciate you all taking the time to read my post and entry into the DJI #DRONESTRATEGY contest.
I wish you all good shots and steady gimble!  

Additional Links:
DJI OFFICIAL US FLYING TIPS
DJI OFFICIAL AIRLINE GUIDE
TRANSPORATION AND SECURITY ADMINISTATION (TSA) DRONE RULES
TSA GUIDE TO FLYING WITH LITHUM BATTERIES
uav1.JPG
2019-5-6
Use props
Gill
lvl.1

United States

I guess I am not allowed to post links yet! (At least they didn't carry through on the post!) All of the linked websites should be easily searchable with your favorite web seach engine.
2019-5-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Gill Posted at 5-6 04:23
I guess I am not allowed to post links yet! (At least they didn't carry through on the post!) All of the linked websites should be easily searchable with your favorite web seach engine.

That might be because your points level is too low.
You might want to reply to some threads in other parts of this forum to be able to add links.
They are very useful!
2019-5-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I guess I am not allowed to post links yet! (At least they didn't carry through on the post!) All of the linked websites should be easily searchable with your favorite web seach engine.

Yep, level 1 and up - this is to help prevent spamming
2019-5-6
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Thank for sharing! Nice strategy and very detailed. Sorry that it is forbidden to post links if your level is too low. As AJ says, it helps to prevent spamming.
2019-5-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You should be able to now
2019-5-23
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great post, very nice informations
2019-5-26
Use props
Gill
lvl.1

United States

I hope the post is of some help to someone. And I appriciate the global scale of this assignment and have enjoyed reading strategies from countries and locals I have only seen in pictures and dreams!
2019-5-31
Use props
G37 Mavic Pro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49741 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing, this is very good information.
2019-7-31
Use props
jameswdj96
New

United States

Thanks for sharing!
2019-7-31
Use props
BRQ7O
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57884 ft
United States

I was in contact with the FAA, they said that even though my drone is 249g, I must register it, as a proof of ownership rather than a us aircraft. Also it seems that soon drone licesence will be required for all operations in the US.
2020-1-12
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

Thanks for the share.
2020-4-19
Use props
lqqkup
lvl.1
United States

BRQ7O Posted at 2020-1-12 08:40
I was in contact with the FAA, they said that even though my drone is 249g, I must register it, as a proof of ownership rather than a us aircraft. Also it seems that soon drone licesence will be required for all operations in the US.

Hmmm, not sure if that’s true to the fullest. Sure they want you to register it so they can track anything in the sky (if it’s lost and found). According to the FAA Requirements you do not need to as we all know. I went ahead and registered mine so if someone questions me I can say I’m in compliance ...now shhoooo away
2021-2-7
Use props
djiuser_iVzZwNKMNdLv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4859 ft
United States

A J Posted at 2019-5-6 06:44
Yep, level 1 and up - this is to help prevent spamming

Good information, thanks.
2021-4-13
Use props
fans910d2c59
New

United States

Don’t believe everything you see in the mainstream media, most of the USA is pretty chill and not racist at all. Thanks for the article!
2021-5-7
Use props
Raw_B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1494190 ft
United States

awesome, thanks!
2021-9-27
Use props
Raw_B
lvl.4
United States

Those are cool sunset pictures btw!
2021-12-8
Use props
Raw_B
lvl.4
United States

haha  this is BS! Unless you weighed your drone on a food scale, your not going to know the exact weight in GRAMS. 1 gram is 0.002 pounds or about the weight of a cubic centimeter of water. Meaning If you had one tiny droplet of water on your drone it would now pass the threshold and weigh the 250 gram minimum requirement to register your drone haha.
2021-12-8
Use props
Jrscott74
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15056598 ft
United States

fans910d2c59 Posted at 2021-5-7 16:32
Don’t believe everything you see in the mainstream media, most of the USA is pretty chill and not racist at all. Thanks for the article!

I appreciate you taking the time to call that the garbage propaganda on this so called "Welcoming" forum page. I've been flying for years all over the US and have never had anything encountered anything happen like this forum describes. We certainly have a corrupt media, would be a good idea to not quote them word for word in any forum.

Not true

Not true
2022-4-24
Use props
Ms Ivy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18880502 ft
United States

From what I learned  studying for my part 107 . & I am a Newbe so take my advice for what its worth.

You do not really any license, to fly recreational only  but you are required to get a TRUST certificate and carry it on you if you are recreational flyer, flying under the exception of (49 U.S.C. § 44809) in most USA states.
the trust test is free and instant and you can't fail it  just google "trust test for drone operations"you can do it online.

Plus the FAA clearly has stated on their website in dronezone.
" any drone under 249 grams does not require registration unless you making money from it to farther your business.  then if you are required to have a part 107 license only because you making money from the drone not because it heavier than 249 grams  I can't post the links to the topic yet  But the information is on the FAA site under dronezone
I'm going for my 107 license couple of weeks just so I can post videos on youtube. Ha!
2022-4-28
Use props
Bristol
lvl.1

United States

Nowhere in the USA, can anyone shoot down your drone for flying over their property. The FAA regulates all air space and shooting down any flight manned or not will bring severe penalties.
2022-5-6
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bristol Posted at 5-6 14:02
Nowhere in the USA, can anyone shoot down your drone for flying over their property. The FAA regulates all air space and shooting down any flight manned or not will bring severe penalties.

Correct! That line absolutely needs removed from the OP!
2022-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules