Travelling with drone : batteries on plane ..
1886 11 2019-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
v01d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1047100 ft
Australia

Hi,

Anyone knows of regulatins in general for travelling with your Drone , carrying batteries?  Going for first holiday with my DJI, and want to make sure I won't get into trouble.

I read here (it's Australian link, but ... I think it's talking about in-general rules.. ): http://remoteaviation.com.au/travelling-drones-lithium-battery-rules/

That you can/must put your batteries in personal luggage / take on plane with you?   I have (only) 3 batteries for my Mavic Pro, will I get into any trouble?
I'm doing a transit / one stop before final destination, but I think with parnter airlines.

2019-5-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day v01d.  Thank you for reaching out and for these information.  I hope you'll get the best information and recommendations here from our valued DJI Members and Customers who travelled in Australia. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check locations in Australia ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ) where in you can fly your drone freely and if the said location is a no fly zone ( NFZ ). In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check some DJI Flying Tips on how to fly your drone on the said locations ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/au ). Thank you and stay safe always.
2019-5-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whenever I travel everything goes with me on the plane and not in check luggage.

Just be sure to discharge the batteries to below 50% and you should be good.
2019-5-7
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

You don't mention where you're traveling so I'll tell you about my experience in travelling in the US.  I went from Austin Texas to Hawaii and had my Mavic in a carrying case and batteries in their own compartments (30% charged).  The case was never inspected or stopped there and back and on several inter-island flights.  Very smooth sailing.
2019-5-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depends on the country, airline and size/number of batteries.
2019-5-8
Use props
fans8b3e7869
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167723 ft
United States

3 batteries is not an issue to take into cabine. Also I'd better to put it into safe pack (made of fireproof material for personal safety).
It is not allowed to leave in laggage where it could be demaged by temperature/pressure change and cause fire.
2019-5-8
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I'm interested in taking my drone on a plane as well.  So much beautiful landscape out there just waiting to be captured on video.  I didn't think to keep my batteries charged below a certain percentage.
2019-5-8
Use props
D2_cayde
lvl.4
United States

you should contact them about the mavic batteries just in case, its something i will do in order to not get in trouble or just look it up on the web.
2019-5-8
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

Thanks guys.

Didn't think about keeping charge below certain level .. On the link I posted above, in my original post, it doesnt say that.  
About batteries themselves:  I checked size / power limits, and it's all good. In fact you probably can take more than 10 of those Mavic's batteries.

I also chatted online with Quanta rep - that's the Australian Airline I'm travelling with - and he said, rest assured you won't have trouble.   Travelling to Africa with them, and taking it into the cabin.

I liked the idea about fire proof packet someone gave here. These are cheap, so I'm thinking of buying one and putting my batteries inside.

Thanks all !
2019-5-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

v01d Posted at 5-8 15:15
Thanks guys.

Didn't think about keeping charge below certain level .. On the link I posted above, in my original post, it doesnt say that.  

You're most welcome. Should you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us. Thanks for choosing DJI!
2019-5-9
Use props
TakeFlite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

I just recently travelled to Noosa in QLD with 2 mavic pros and 5 batteries. I had no problem flying qantas there and back. Make sure the batteries are in your hand luggage bag and tape up the outlets where you charge and plug them in. I also wrapped them each individually for extra protection. It was also my first time flying with them so I notified the people at bag check in and they said what I did was perfect so should work, no problems at security either. Also I drained my batteries to about 30% so just fly with them and don't charge till you get to your destination. I'd notify them to be on the safe side though. Not sure where you're going but wherever it is just check if you can fly drones and the rules and regulations first.

I'd suggest just have a read through this. https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/dangerous-goods/global/en

*Note this is only on Qantas and may change for other Airlines*

Need anymore help feel free to contact me
2019-5-9
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Australia

'lo !

I've traveled & back now. Flew to ZA with Qantas, took my 3 batteries on board, no issues, not stopped, not asked.

Btw, this is  on another note:  is there a bigger capacity battery option for Mavic Pro .. ?
2019-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules