what is the ideal number of batteries for you?
12633 78 2019-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

Considering my self not a very frequent flyer (meaning I fly once every 1-3 weeks my M2P) I say 2 batteries is enough. Having more than 2 on my case would do the job, but I find it overkill meaning I would have paid for those additional batteries and they would be sitting around and loosing battery life (as charge cycles increases) while they do not offer any additional value to what I could do with 2 batteries.

Having said that, I was on vacations recently and visited many new places and I felt the need for an additional battery here and there. Therefore:

If you are a frequent flyer 3-4 is the sweet spot (or more if you need to)
If you are not a frequent flyer 1-2 batteries seems to be a good compromise
2019-8-2
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

sorry , double post
2019-8-2
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since I will be flying a lot and especially in the Winter, I have 5 batteries for now for my M2P.
2019-8-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

pinkmenprints Posted at 8-1 23:40
How long does it take a car charger to fully charge one batt ?

depends how hot battery is and how deeply discharged it is when plugged in.  assuming all things equal though and only talking about how long it takes once the system begins charging and battery is cooled off and landed and plugged in at 30% and flying on a mavic pro or mavic air (only systems im strongly familiar with)..  45 minutes  to an hour or so..

generally speaking because your car's electrical system is DC and the battery is also DC and voltages are much closer vs a wall outlet in your home(a car turned on, and charging its battery with its engine is pushing ~12-14 volts in avg car) there is fewer losses and so tends to charge little bit faster on car charger as much of it doesnt turn into heat and wastes that energy away..

\\
2019-8-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

KS-6 Posted at 8-2 13:37
Since I will be flying a lot and especially in the Winter, I have 5 batteries for now for my M2P.

that's very expensive is the issue, im a heavy flier and that's hard to justify. i fly a ton and mavic 2 is brutal on the wallet and i dont even own one yet but when i do, oof..  i want 3 batteries

mavic 2 batteries are $130-$140 each online.    and the Mavic 2 enterprise batteries (with self heater functionality) i can only source them for around $180 each but i have heard can be found for $160 sometimes, still haven't found them though..  so assuming got fly more + 3 additional batteries (for total of 5) that's like $700+ not counting taxes or vat or anything additional may apply..  big oof.
2019-8-2
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

I have a Mavic Air.  Batterie 1 : scouting and most important, making sure the wind is not going to be a factor. The wind is sometime much stronger than on ground.  Batterie 2 - 3 : take the footage.  Batterie 4 : in case I need it or for a different take.
2019-8-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ririlan Posted at 8-6 15:06
I have a Mavic Air.  Batterie 1 : scouting and most important, making sure the wind is not going to be a factor. The wind is sometime much stronger than on ground.  Batterie 2 - 3 : take the footage.  Batterie 4 : in case I need it or for a different take.

makes good sense.  scouting location and the shot you want is something i forgot about in the equation.     

when packing batteries my usual theory is weather and distance from nearest charger/outlet.   those two play the biggest role for me usually but i have been caught short a few times because i didn't scout the location and the shot i wanted before trying to take it.
2019-8-6
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-2 14:31
depends how hot battery is and how deeply discharged it is when plugged in.  assuming all things equal though and only talking about how long it takes once the system begins charging and battery is cooled off and landed and plugged in at 30% and flying on a mavic pro or mavic air (only systems im strongly familiar with)..  45 minutes  to an hour or so..

generally speaking because your car's electrical system is DC and the battery is also DC and voltages are much closer vs a wall outlet in your home(a car turned on, and charging its battery with its engine is pushing ~12-14 volts in avg car) there is fewer losses and so tends to charge little bit faster on car charger as much of it doesnt turn into heat and wastes that energy away..

Thanks for sharing !
Informative it is
2019-8-6
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

How many batteries does everybody feel is adequate with the Mavic 2? I'm thinking 4 batteries, because you can always run a battery on one of the intelligent flight modes and it's hard to get that shot on just a few batteries...
2019-8-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-22 16:50
How many batteries does everybody feel is adequate with the Mavic 2? I'm thinking 4 batteries, because you can always run a battery on one of the intelligent flight modes and it's hard to get that shot on just a few batteries...

On my first M2P I had 2 batteries,  and with the new one I have three.  2 were easier to manage balancing the charging, and use but three gives me more options if I'm out.  I think 4 for me would be too many.
2019-8-23
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-23 00:13
On my first M2P I had 2 batteries,  and with the new one I have three.  2 were easier to manage balancing the charging, and use but three gives me more options if I'm out.  I think 4 for me would be too many.

I think 4 makes the perfect number because there are literally 4 tasks you can assign including just Waypoints, which you could program two Waypoint missions alone, where it creates the necessary numbers.
2019-8-23
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

I now have 6 and two charging stations. I find for the work I do, 3 is minimum and I like to have at least one at the ready for incase I missed something. I also find the Smart Controller is up for 5-6.
2019-8-23
Use props
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259055 ft

I only own one battery for my MA, but I probably should get two more.
2019-9-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

pianoplayer7 Posted at 9-3 10:31
I only own one battery for my MA, but I probably should get two more.

ya for mavic air specially feels like need multiple batteries.  i now have mavic 2 pro and im probably going to get total 3 batteries at some point.
2019-9-3
Use props
CastleRockFlier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36467 ft

MP2P and use 7 batteries.  That lasts as long as the controller and iPad.  Then, done for the day, and looking to recharge (batteries and myself).
2019-9-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

CastleRockFlier Posted at 9-3 18:39
MP2P and use 7 batteries.  That lasts as long as the controller and iPad.  Then, done for the day, and looking to recharge (batteries and myself).

wow thats epic
2019-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

pinkmenprints Posted at 8-1 23:40
How long does it take a car charger to fully charge one batt ?

I think you need to travel 625 miles lol, not sure best used for batteries that need slight top ups .
2019-9-27
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft

3 2 battery (50min max )at same point  normally gives me what I need. Unless you have particular plan for hyperlapse or  waypoint then need third one . More battery always good but increase the cargo weigh too.
2019-9-28
Use props
rbtmckny
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8001404 ft

I have a Mavic Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom. I have three batteries for each. For me personally I find three is a good amount. With three batteries I can cover all the angles with what I am videoing. If I am not videoing then I can have fun flying for a little over an hour.
2019-10-2
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft

3 for my new M2Z and 3 each for my P4’s. This gets me plenty of time in the air.  Also with my new Tercel Mavic 2 battery charger, charging all the M2Z batteries at once is a breeze. Loving my new M2Z UAS.
2019-10-3
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 982382 ft

I carried 9 MA batteries with me to Utah where I didn't have electricity. I ended up using a solar panel to keep them charged and never missed an opportunity to fly.

I currently have 5 for my MP2. Which should handle most any situation I find myself in......I hope.
2019-10-11
Use props
MrTitan
Second Officer
  • >>>

Tough one this as there’s obviously no one right answer. Years back I started my DJI journey with a P3A and a single battery.  After a year and a half of depleted-battery-related frustration I was relieved to add a second battery pack, but quite soon after I upgraded to the Mavic Pro fly more combo that supplied me with 3 batteries: Heaven!

My need for more DJI flight batteries grew as I further gave up owning hand built racing drones (I had 6 at one point, which ate up a lot of my spare time) to concentrate on drone photography etc.  The more I flew for video captures sake, the more I experienced 3 batteries was not always enough for a days flight and filming.  So I now own a M2P with 5 batteries in total.

My 2 cents: I’d say 3 batteries is enough for most non-professional needs, but 5 batteries is an enjoyable luxury that can sometimes be very handy.
2019-10-11
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The true ideal amount is as many as your carrying case can hold or how many slots your DJI multi-charger has.
2019-10-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-19 04:44
The true ideal amount is as many as your carrying case can hold or how many slots your DJI multi-charger has.

too many for me.  i was thinking of a balance. like you rally going to hike on a trail with a backpack full of dead weight?   i mean sure if im being paid big bucks like a few grand + to shoot something for a commercial or whatever i'd tough it out and haul a literal ton of batteries out to middle of nowhere to make sure i get the job done.  but if im being paid at my standard rate of upto $150/job under the table im only bringing 3 batteries.  sometimes i only bring 1 spare
2019-10-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-19 08:55
too many for me.  i was thinking of a balance. like you rally going to hike on a trail with a backpack full of dead weight?   i mean sure if im being paid big bucks like a few grand + to shoot something for a commercial or whatever i'd tough it out and haul a literal ton of batteries out to middle of nowhere to make sure i get the job done.  but if im being paid at my standard rate of upto $150/job under the table im only bringing 3 batteries.  sometimes i only bring 1 spare

Lots of batteries are useful if you are shooting many areas and need to get up in the air every now and then in which turning everything off and back on to get back in the air takes at least 3% battery, it's a good idea to have extra.  Trying to understand what flows and shots are good takes battery life too, like 10%.  People never want to run dry when it matters the most, but I've had times where I've missed things by sitting on the ground, but the more experience we have, the better we can predict.
2019-10-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-19 15:14
Lots of batteries are useful if you are shooting many areas and need to get up in the air every now and then in which turning everything off and back on to get back in the air takes at least 3% battery, it's a good idea to have extra.  Trying to understand what flows and shots are good takes battery life too, like 10%.  People never want to run dry when it matters the most, but I've had times where I've missed things by sitting on the ground, but the more experience we have, the better we can predict.

3% how?    by the time im in the air i only lost 1% on my mavic 2 pro unless GPS is struggling to lock on.

as for wasting battery trying to get the flow right, that i can see but sometimes just gotta do it.. plan out a shot mentally visualize it and just go for it.  and if flying a spark or a inspire with heavy X5/X7 camera on it you dont really have 10 minutes to rework and try again, that pretty much is your flight time.  "nothin to it but to do it" as they say..
2019-10-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

"HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-19 15:45
3% how?    by the time im in the air i only lost 1% on my mavic 2 pro unless GPS is struggling to lock on.

as for wasting battery trying to get the flow right, that i can see but sometimes just gotta do it.. plan out a shot mentally visualize it and just go for it.  and if flying a spark or a inspire with heavy X5/X7 camera on it you dont really have 10 minutes to rework and try again, that pretty much is your flight time.  "nothin to it but to do it" as they say.."

Because you have to land and take-off back to position.  It takes at least 1% of the battery before you can get a signal lock after a boot-up cycle.

When you land it takes time because it scans the ground and you have to land it carefully.

Somethings happen where you are waiting for people to move.  Sometimes they move, then they stop.  Sometimes the shot is crap.  You can just loiter if you don't have enough batteries and need to span it out to use it in 3 hours or more, you can't go dry now so you have to compromise by hoping nothing good happens until you are up in the air.  Even just sitting on the ground eats at least 1% every 2 minutes.  I shut things down but then, things move.  Even w/ the Smart Controller and the drone power cycling, it takes a while.  The best way to tell when stuff matters are when you need to take stuff now.  Things are ready to move so you have time but things are still booting.  You end up being late and miss the capture but you had waited at least 10-20 minutes before things happened.

When I film, I can't really direct people and say, action.  You are capturing their progress to clip out in post.

It would be nice if in a new version, you can plug in while sitting on the ground or even in the air so it charges or at least holds the capacity while you wait on standby from the factory, tested and proven to not fail with warranty-backed.
2019-10-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-20 00:48
"HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-19 15:45
3% how?    by the time im in the air i only lost 1% on my mavic 2 pro unless GPS is struggling to lock on.

ya would be nice if DJI would allow us to plug into USB C power and charge up when either grounded waiting around or just as a way to charge up in between.  i have a laptop charger thats USB-C and can deliver 130 watts at 19.5 V its for my Dell XPS 15, its more than enough to fast charge the battery.
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-20 10:59
ya would be nice if DJI would allow us to plug into USB C power and charge up when either grounded waiting around or just as a way to charge up in between.  i have a laptop charger thats USB-C and can deliver 130 watts at 19.5 V its for my Dell XPS 15, its more than enough to fast charge the battery.

They already make things that you can tether, but they cost a lot of money.  For obvious reasons, the public cannot have it.  Not everyone is technically inclined.  Not everyone is an engineer.  People who don't even know how to use any tech will use it because they think it's cool then something huge goes wrong, and DJI gets sued like the Oxycotin company that went bankrupt due to a couple thousand of lawsuits.  Same as the maker of the gasoline containers that didn't properly have a fire arrestor at the top for the fumes not to ignite the gas.  They had a Walmart deal, got sued then bankrupt.

When the company supports its, which they can with enough in-house testing, it can be done, but then I assume it would start at the enterprise-level.  We wouldn't see it for a long time unless we join the enterprise-level too and get it.
2019-10-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-20 11:18
They already make things that you can tether, but they cost a lot of money.  For obvious reasons, the public cannot have it.  Not everyone is technically inclined.  Not everyone is an engineer.  People who don't even know how to use any tech will use it because they think it's cool then something huge goes wrong, and DJI gets sued like the Oxycotin company that went bankrupt due to a couple thousand of lawsuits.  Same as the maker of the gasoline containers that didn't properly have a fire arrestor at the top for the fumes not to ignite the gas.  They had a Walmart deal, got sued then bankrupt.

When the company supports its, which they can with enough in-house testing, it can be done, but then I assume it would start at the enterprise-level.  We wouldn't see it for a long time unless we join the enterprise-level too and get it.

not even sure that's an issue,...skydio supports USB-C fast charging, most devices do now a days.  its as dangerous as plugging your battery into the dedicated charger.. actually less dangerous cuz the dedicated charger has exposed pins and if the resistance is just right it could send full power down line...
2019-10-20
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

OK, this is slightly strange.  I found this post while looking at recent posts.  In the listing, it shows there was a post 6 hours ago, but in the thread, the most recent post is almost a year ago...

In any case,  could not vote as the Mavic Mini is not listed (was not out when the poll was created).  However,  have four batteries for my Mini.  I bought the Fly More Combo so that gives me one battery in the Mini and three in the charging hub.  Most of the time, I don't really need that many, but last week I was shooting both video and stills of a five day bicycle ride.  There were a few times were I was having a little trouble keeping batteries charged.  I had enough cables with me that in a pinch, I could charge a battery in the charging hub, another in the Mini, the controller, and my phone - all at the same time if I needed to.  Most of the time, I had the DJI supplied AC adapter plugged into an inverter, and had that AC adapter plugged into the charging hub - because it would supply more current than the cigarette lighter to USB adapter.  The charging hub has the advantage that as soon as one battery is done, it will start charging another battery - without me having to do anything.  I would plug in the RC into the cigarette lighter to USB adapter any time I had a longer gap in flying - even if it did not really need it.  Similar concept with my Android - plug it in whenever there was a good opportunity.
If I was flying and knew I would not for a while (either no riders coming for a while, or moving somewhere else), I would normally swap in a fully charged battery so that next time I flew, I was not battery limited as soon as I took off.  Even if that meant that  swapped out a 60% battery.
2020-10-15
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Enough batteries to meet the needs of the use case +50% unexpected requirements.  
2023-3-26
Use props
Frowzzen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26539 ft
United States

I currently have 6 batteries for my Mavic 3 Cine. That way if I'm using my drone throughout the day, I don't have to stop and charge them. And in the event that I may need to, I have enough batteries to continue flying while others charge.
2023-9-7
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have 5 batteries for my  FPV, Mavic 3, Mavic 3 Pro, Avata and I have 6 for the Mini 4 Pro.  I use a fast cigarette charger (2 of them) in my truck for recharging.
2023-10-22
Use props
Jacksonsmith023
lvl.1

Pakistan

I have worked with 3 batteries but 4 is preferable
2023-11-6
Use props
djiuser_W9fxxQIYwsKK
lvl.1

United States

I don’t think anyone can have too many batteries. It comes down to have much free time and money to waste do you have. I have 5 DJI Fpv batteries and put one on the car charger as soon as the first one is depleted. So even with 6 batteries at once it fulfills my desire to fly but I’m definitely thinking about buying another fly more kit. A word to the wise though do not purchase these through Amazon vendors they will almost never work. Buy directly through DJI I’ve had no problems going that route. The more practice you can put in at one time the faster your skill level will increase. I’ve been practicing flying very low slow and controlled in manual mode to learn how to be more precise with the controls.
IMG_2722.png
2023-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules