Overheating chip / stuck fan - easily fixed!
3034 6 2019-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PMPS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 243675 ft

United Kingdom

Hi All

I had been flying low and quite agressively over a field (having used a clean landing mat for take off) and I suddenly got an error message "Processor chip critically overheated. The aircraft will power off in 30 seconds".
I took it home, powered it up again a few hours later and confirmed that there was no noise from the fan. I don't have a warranty or care refresh (craft was bought second hand) and looked at the videos and posts on resolving this a little daunting. I recently had some time on my hands so decided to try to fix myself.
I levered off the top of the craft quite easily using finger nails, a guitar plectrum and a blunt blade. I did not have to remove any screws. Neither did I have to remove any other parts of the casing.
The fan was initially stuck but started to move as I rotated it. On closer inspection I saw an object in the fan (see red arrow below) it was soft and I could not remove it with forceps. I think it was a seed or a bug of some sort. I therefore used a small vacuum cleaner (the type used to clean computer keyboards) to remove it.
After this the fan operates normally, the craft starts up OK and I seem to have been lucky and not fried any of the circuits.
So despite a personal terrible track record of fixing quads in the past I was able to fix this easily and quickly.
I am posting this for the benefit of noobs like myself - there are videos on youtube suggesting this is a major undertaking requiring removing screws, extracting the fan etc. This may have been true of older models but in my case at least it was much easier than I expected and only took me a couple of minutes.

Cheers

Paul

Tools used to remove cover.

Tools used to remove cover.

No screws!

No screws!

Bug or seed in fan

Bug or seed in fan
2019-5-9
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

That is most useful should the need arise to clean the fan.
Thanks for that.
2019-5-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2019-5-9
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like a Spark i different clothes.... similar but the GPS is at 45° in the MAVICAir... interesting pics...

2019-5-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about the problem that you had with your aircraft. However, it's great to hear that you've managed to solve this matter by checking the internal parts of your aircraft. For a friendly reminder, we don't recommend fixing the drones via our customer's end as this process is not in accordance with our after sales policy and this will void the warranty. Thank you for understanding.
2019-5-9
Use props
Kollumelis
New

Ukraine

I also had to clean the small fan from dust. My computer began to quickly overheat, and I realized that it was time to clean the system unit. When I opened it, I saw as much dust as I had never seen before. I realized that just wipe the dust with a rag does not work, you need something more powerful. A vacuum cleaner is suitable for this situation. But he, too, must be chosen correctly. I found a review of vacuum cleaners - https://cleanersexpert.com/best-backpack-vacuum/ and chose what suits me. I hope, and you will find what you need, and do your work.
2019-7-22
Use props
Kollumelis
New

Czechia

Y

jhgfrtyuhh
2019-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules