My first real video using the Osmo Pocket
1165 37 2019-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

This is actually my second attempted festival video but I'm still seeking copyright permissions for my first one from the relevant performers from a different festival.

I've used the Osmo Pocket solely for this project. No external mic and no phone connection for monitoring. No windshield screening for the inboard mics either and there was a breeze.
The video footage has been processed slightly but the audio has not. Shot at 1920 x 1080 as my PC is not powerful enough to process 4K footage. No filters were used and video set to auto as was sound. Noise reduction on sound was turned off.   

2019-5-9
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

WOW, that was awesome!!!

I have a feeling that for recording the ambient sound, the internal mics are best, though might need a windshield when wind is strong, for recording voice(vlogging) an external mic is better to cut some distant sound.

2019-5-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Very interesting video to watch. Thanks for sharing.
2019-5-9
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Oh, the video can't be play on forum.
2019-5-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI Panda Posted at 5-9 22:22
Oh, the video can't be play on forum.

Hi Dji Panda.
Do you mean I should take it off the forum or that it can't be played in China? Are there any cultural problems at your end I should be aware of that prevent the file from being played? It only shows typical English festive activities and as far as I'm aware does not break any European codes of conduct.
Can you please be concise about the problem?
It seems to be playing at my end.
2019-5-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-9 13:28
WOW, that was awesome!!!

It would seem that awesome is over the top for the forum
With the PA systems as loud as they were and being next to live drummers, the sound pressure waves of the performances outweighed any wind interference.  I was very impressed with the audio auto setting of the Osmo Pocket.

This is my first YouTube video. I wasn't aware that the thumbnails could be changed and even I didn't like the original choice as being representative of the content in case the video thumbnail was offensive in any way. I have now changed the opening thumbnail to another one that is more representative of the content.  Boring as it looks.

2019-5-9
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-9 22:50
It would seem that awesome is over the top for the forum
With the PA systems as loud as they were and being next to live drummers, the sound pressure waves of the performances outweighed any wind interference.  I was very impressed with the audio auto setting of the Osmo Pocket.

Ray, the awesome means the video is very nice, we can see some culture there, and live music, also the slow motion part was awesome :-)
2019-5-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-9 23:03
Ray, the awesome means the video is very nice, we can see some culture there, and live music, also the slow motion part was awesome :-)

Hi Oh-no.
I was referring to Dji Pandas comment that the video wasn't playable. At least at Dji's end.
Thanks,
The hard part of slow-mo to audio is finding a duration of clip/s suitable for syncing to the timing of the music track, and where needed, slightly increasing or decreasing its playback speed to fit. It's also hard to find artists who don't mind sharing their performances on the net. I shot quite a lot of unusable content that would infringe copyright not knowing what would be acceptable at the time or not.
I still have no idea why it would be blocked at the Chinese end yet. None of the content is of religious or faith-based content. There are no offensive words in the audio tracks. They are just English based cultural references of our way of life.   
2019-5-9
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done, I think at 9 minutes a little long, perhaps there are two films in there? The most badass Morris Dancers I’ve seen too. Congrats, does show the capabilities of the OP.
2019-5-9
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s not blocked, but I had to view on YouTube rather than watch it on this forum. Screengrabbed the image.
2019-5-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oops. there is one possible offensive word in a song lyric. Could that be it?
2019-5-9
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-9 23:15
Hi Oh-no.
I was referring to Dji Pandas comment that the video wasn't playable. At least at Dji's end.
Thanks,

Ray, the message shown on the youtube window is:
"Video unavailable
Watch this video on YouTube.
Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner."

2019-5-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 5-9 23:24
It’s not blocked, but I had to view on YouTube rather than watch it on this forum. Screengrabbed the image. [view_image]

Wow.
Thanks for that.
Would that be my setting at YouTube then or here on the DJI site? I can see the file and it's playing here at my end.
Sorry to be a bumpkin with my video upload knowledge. I'm a fledgling at this type of stuff.
Any help appreciated although I will have to do any alterations later as I'm off to work.
2019-5-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 5-9 23:22
Nicely done, I think at 9 minutes a little long, perhaps there are two films in there? The most badass Morris Dancers I’ve seen too. Congrats, does show the capabilities of the OP.

Hi Chris.
Thanks for your comments.
I have done shorter videos in the past limited to three minutes but being new to YouTube I think I went overboard as the time restrictions are less as is the ability to upload a better quality video.
The same thing has happened with my video editing. Lots of effects to choose from and probably should only use one or two per video.
I promise to reign the time limit down after a few others that are already finished get copyright clearance.
I need to practice getting more content within shorter time periods. I hate dropping perfectly good footage but I must get more ruthless with the cutting room floor.
I know others with more equipment only see the Osmo Pocket as a 'B' footage camera but I think with reasonable content to show it holds it's own. I'm really happy with it.
2019-5-10
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nicely done!!!
2019-5-10
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-9 23:30
Wow.
Thanks for that.
Would that be my setting at YouTube then or here on the DJI site? I can see the file and it's playing here at my end.

I think it might be a YouTube setting, though I don’t know enough to be certain.
Good luck!
2019-5-10
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-10 06:39
Hi Chris.
Thanks for your comments.
I have done shorter videos in the past limited to three minutes but being new to YouTube I think I went overboard as the time restrictions are less as is the ability to upload a better quality video.

Agree, for social media I think the footage is perfect. The BBC report when Brighton Pier caught fire was filmed on an iPhone, so it’s for sure as much the camera operator and their skills / experience that counts. Though the next step up is a Panasonic Micro 4/3rds on a gimbal, where the gimbal alone is £5-600 and weights a tonne. Keep going as your  footage is great, and you’ll undoubtably get better at editing with practice.
Chris
2019-5-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very impressive footage
2019-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great job Ray, great subject, nice use of the slo mo and the raw sound is pretty impressive, well done and thanks for posting .
2019-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m not sure if it was the way you embedded it, but to correctly embed for this forum easy way is to tap on video on YT click on curved arrow copy link will appear copy and your done just post link, I have tried here to check it works if you need deleted let me know,

Edit I have deleted it because it came up watch on YT only you will have to change your settings on you tube .
2019-5-10
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-10 08:40
I’m not sure if it was the way you embedded it, but to correctly embed for this forum easy way is to tap on video on YT click on curved arrow copy link will appear copy and your done just post link, I have tried here to check it works if you need deleted let me know,

Edit I have deleted it because it came up watch on YT only you will have to change your settings on you tube .

Thank you for trying to find out the problem. I think you are right about my settings on YouTube.
How long it will take me to find them and figure out what needs changing is another matter. I will try to sort it out but difficult to know when I get it right as it shows up normally here for me.

As for the video itself.
I really wanted to know if it was more useful than for just vlogging as it's not something that interests me personally. I wanted to find out if it could be used on its own and get a usable result from it. I think it can with a bit more care. The auto volume control on the Osmo Pocket is the most stable and impressive I have although the fidelity of the sound itself is not anywhere as good as my DSLR units. The downside to the DSLR audio is that it needs manual adjustment or you hear it pump its volume in auto mode. The upside is they record very good stereo and the sound is much cleaner from their inboard microphones. Both the Osmo Pocket and my DSLRs benefit from external use of microphones but sometimes I just don't want to carry that much kit around.
In that respect, the Osmo Pocket is very good.
Having a fixed focal length makes me plan where to shoot from and what is best to point at. A DSLR or camcorder with a zoom lens often means the placement of cameras becomes more static and results in a less dynamic feel to the whole shoot as it's all too easy to stand in one spot and zoom rather than think of shooting from another angle.
That in itself is a bonus as it's making me think about how I do my stills photography more as well.

I wish I could see and adjust while shooting, the shutter speed and ISO without the need of a connected phone. That would be most useful I think as I would on occasion prefer a slower shutter speed and a lower ISO value than the Auto setting selects.
2019-5-10
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I think I found the embedding problem.
Please let me know if the video still can't be played on this site.
2019-5-12
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-12 04:20
I think I found the embedding problem.
Please let me know if the video still can't be played on this site.

It works now.
2019-5-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Thanks, Oh-no.
2019-5-12
Use props
The General
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13609 ft

Great footage!! I must say, I'm most impressed by the sound. I'm always moving around, and on a motorbike sometimes too, and audio is the only thing I struggle with, as the footage is always amazing. I had it a few days before the April update and the focus was really an issue, but since the last update, it seems the focus works fine, at least as well as any other 'vlogger' I see using expensive DSLR/mirrorless cameras who also get the random focus jump. Until the sensors can read your mind, the auto focus will always jump on objects we didn't want at that very moment.
2019-5-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

You got some impressive results there, good advert for both sound (though mono of course) and picture obtainable from the pocket.

But - and here my opinion is totally personal - use of slow motion other than very, very sparingly when the picture content really warrants it, should be banned by law. Watch any TV documentary - or movie for that matter - from a good source such as the BBC, and take note of what transitions they use (probably none apart from very fast dissolves) and what use of slow motion is made (probably none again).  For me, what distinguishes pro material from non-pro is use of such effects.  There seems to be some confusion on YouTube whereby "cinematic" and "slow motion" mean the same thing.  Quite the opposite.  In most movies these days apart perhaps from lowbrow action movies, the only slow motion you see is when the reconciled lovers run towards each other on a windswept beach as the credits roll.

My tuppence-worth.  YMMV and probably does!
2019-5-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

The General Posted at 5-13 21:08
Great footage!! I must say, I'm most impressed by the sound. I'm always moving around, and on a motorbike sometimes too, and audio is the only thing I struggle with, as the footage is always amazing. I had it a few days before the April update and the focus was really an issue, but since the last update, it seems the focus works fine, at least as well as any other 'vlogger' I see using expensive DSLR/mirrorless cameras who also get the random focus jump. Until the sensors can read your mind, the auto focus will always jump on objects we didn't want at that very moment.

I don't know if this helps or not but I never use continuous focus. Seems to work better for me.
2019-5-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-14 00:04
You got some impressive results there, good advert for both sound (though mono of course) and picture obtainable from the pocket.

But - and here my opinion is totally personal - use of slow motion other than very, very sparingly when the picture content really warrants it, should be banned by law. Watch any TV documentary - or movie for that matter - from a good source such as the BBC, and take note of what transitions they use (probably none apart from very fast dissolves) and what use of slow motion is made (probably none again).  For me, what distinguishes pro material from non-pro is use of such effects.  There seems to be some confusion on YouTube whereby "cinematic" and "slow motion" mean the same thing.  Quite the opposite.  In most movies these days apart perhaps from lowbrow action movies, the only slow motion you see is when the reconciled lovers run towards each other on a windswept beach as the credits roll.

Not a Baywatch or Matrix fan then I gather
It's not a documentary, just a bit of fun.
As for transitions. Marvel films, Star Wars, Any ring a bell?
Anyway, my son agrees with you
2019-5-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-14 16:25
Not a Baywatch or Matrix fan then I gather
It's not a documentary, just a bit of fun.
As for transitions. Marvel films, Star Wars, Any ring a bell?

Well... of those you mention, I've seen the original Star Wars movies but that's all.  So I probably shouldn't be voicing my opinion!  But it's a personal thing, never mind the facts.
2019-5-14
Use props
The General
lvl.2
Cambodia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-14 16:17
I don't know if this helps or not but I never use continuous focus. Seems to work better for me.

I hope it's OK if I ask you about this here instead of starting a new topic, but how exactly does the AFS work exactly? Does it lock onto ONE object, or does it just keep the same focus 'depth' as when you first set it? Also, can you 'tap' something on the screen while actively filming and have the focus change mid-shoot? Thanks for any clarification.
2019-5-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-14 16:58
Well... of those you mention, I've seen the original Star Wars movies but that's all.  So I probably shouldn't be voicing my opinion!  But it's a personal thing, never mind the facts.

I'm happy with anyone's opinion as all are valid including mine which is I can't please all the people some of the time
I shouldn't be on the net if I can't take criticism of any kind.
2019-5-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

The General Posted at 5-14 20:55
I hope it's OK if I ask you about this here instead of starting a new topic, but how exactly does the AFS work exactly? Does it lock onto ONE object, or does it just keep the same focus 'depth' as when you first set it? Also, can you 'tap' something on the screen while actively filming and have the focus change mid-shoot? Thanks for any clarification.

AFS seems to subtly focus on whatever is at the center of the screen if you don't touch the screen and will adjust for distance. ( I know, odd) As long as I frame before recording for a few seconds without selecting a focus point it seems to work well for me.
Also because I don't do that many close-up shots, nearly everything is in focus most of the time.
When I want it to actively track I just select a focus point and worry more about how fast and smooth I'm moving my Osmo Pocket when I physically turn.  I'm still working on that last point but getting better at it, I think.  
Yes, you can tap the screen to change the focus point/distance but I rarely feel the need.
The Osmo Pocket does not have a large sensor and the field of view is quite wide, so real background isolation is almost impossible to achieve. If I needed an out of focus background I would switch to using my DSLR and a tripod, or as a static shot but that is normally too much effort and isn't something easily done on the fly at an event.
2019-5-14
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-14 23:00
I'm happy with anyone's opinion as all are valid including mine which is I can't please all the people some of the time
I shouldn't be on the net if I can't take criticism of any kind.

2019-5-15
Use props
Robb OConnor
Second Officer
United Kingdom

As I am considering buying an osmo pocket, it was nice to see this video. It shows what I as a newbie can expect. I was very impressed with quality you got without too much editing. Good colours , good mix of subject matter.  Nice one
2019-5-15
Use props
Robb OConnor
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Nice video , good to see because I am considering buying an osmo pocket and it’s nice to see what I can achieve as a newbie . I liked the quality  of the video  and a good mix of subject matter . Very impressive. Apologies my reply got posted twice my fault
2019-5-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Robb OConnor Posted at 5-15 02:50
Nice video , good to see because I am considering buying an osmo pocket and it’s nice to see what I can achieve as a newbie . I liked the quality  of the video  and a good mix of subject matter . Very impressive. Apologies my reply got posted twice my fault

Thanks.
It wasn't that bright a day either. It improves in brighter sunlight.
I should have my second video up soon which is a bit more eclectic content-wise. I like The Pocket for general use. Having anything much better would be a waste for me as my home PC system can't handle 4K editing and I don't have any 4K screens around the house anyway. I will probably wear its battery out way before I tire of it. My only slight gripe if I had one is I think the Osmo Pocket deserves a stereo audio output.
2019-5-15
Use props
The General
lvl.2
Cambodia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-14 23:14
AFS seems to subtly focus on whatever is at the center of the screen if you don't touch the screen and will adjust for distance. ( I know, odd) As long as I frame before recording for a few seconds without selecting a focus point it seems to work well for me.
Also because I don't do that many close-up shots, nearly everything is in focus most of the time.
When I want it to actively track I just select a focus point and worry more about how fast and smooth I'm moving my Osmo Pocket when I physically turn.  I'm still working on that last point but getting better at it, I think.  

I might have to give this mode a few tries, as I've always been using AFC.

And there's been an update since this was discussed, so maybe it's all changed by now, lol.
2019-5-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video!
Like the 'slow' effect.
2019-5-17
Use props
Advanced