MAVIC PRO PLATINUM "FLYAWAY" : LOST
1344 14 2019-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WillDuLuxx
lvl.1
Belgium

Hi all,
Is a 'flyaway' such a common failure from Mavic Pro?

Just back from holidays where the Mavic Pro Platinum just flew away, far away, not responding on the Roll and Pitch axis at all. I received the Drone on Friday 3 May (it was a full new one). I did 12 flights (totalling 2h05), before this 'flyaway' happens on the 13th flight.

Rather than talking too much, please if smbd can have a look at the flight records and tell me what was wrong with the Drone...

To mention I am an FPV Drone racer pilot, I have observed this behavior on one of my FPV Drone racer one day : the Drone drifted in 'horizontal 'mode (meaning assited flight for stabilizing the Drone, and stopped drifting once back to 'manual' mode, because one sensor was deffective on the flight board).

13th flight (FLYAWAY) : https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6AQI33Y31LK71TIUNI7M/

Many thanks in advance for your help on this.
WillDuLuxx.

2019-5-10
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your Mavic did not fly away. Each time RTH was initiated, the Mavic was unable to make forward progress toward the home point since the wind was too strong. As you can see on this Airdata map, the wind was blowing away from the home point at around 40 MPH. There is no chance your Mavic would have been able to make it home.
2019-5-10
Use props
WillDuLuxx
lvl.1
Belgium

MSinger, thanks for your reply.

To precise this. The Mavic is able to 65km/h (40mph). The wind as per the chart is btw. 25 and 35 mph. Thus, at least it would have stabilized each time I have pushed the Roll forward, and expected to move forward 5mph (40 - 35) in the worst case. Even in Sport Mode, no such (expected) reaction occured.

Thereafter, the Mavic was able to come back once RTH activated, what does it mean ? The Mavic was powerful enough to come back to face to the wind but one question : why the Mavic has not responded accordingly since the beginning of the flight?
2019-5-10
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

It likely means the wind died down a bit. Even then though, the Mavic was only making slow progress toward the home point.

It was clearly too windy to be flying on this day.
2019-5-10
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss. Flight log kind of says it all. You can try to explain it away but the reasoning is very obvious.

Again Sorry for your loss.
2019-5-10
Use props
WillDuLuxx
lvl.1
Belgium

The math does not seem to work. Max speed of the Mavic Pro is at 65kmh (40 mph) and max wind speed was at 56 kmh (35 mph). With wind at 35 mph (56 kmh) the Mavic Drone was going backward at around 6 or 7 mph (10 kmh), meaning a flight speed at 28 or 29 mph (around 46 kmh), where the extra expected 20 kmh speed passed through?
2019-5-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

About all you could have done is, lower drone's altitude (possibly less wind) and fly drone 90-degrees from wind towards land.  
Started moving towards drone, as you flew drone overland towards you.
2019-5-10
Use props
WillDuLuxx
lvl.1
Belgium

The Mavic could have also speed at Max Speed, 65 kmh (40 mph), why this has not happened in your opinion?
2019-5-10
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

WillDuLuxx Posted at 5-10 07:56
The math does not seem to work. Max speed of the Mavic Pro is at 65kmh (40 mph) and max wind speed was at 56 kmh (35 mph). With wind at 35 mph (56 kmh) the Mavic Drone was going backward at around 6 or 7 mph (10 kmh), meaning a flight speed at 28 or 29 mph (around 46 kmh), where the extra expected 20 kmh speed passed through?

Per the Mavic Pro specs, the max speed of the Mavic Pro is 40 MPH while flying in Sport mode with no wind. It's only designed to resist wind speeds up to about 19-24 MPH.

https://www.dji.com/mavic/info?#specs
2019-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

WillDuLuxx Posted at 5-10 07:20
MSinger, thanks for your reply.

To precise this. The Mavic is able to 65km/h (40mph). The wind as per the chart is btw. 25 and 35 mph. Thus, at least it would have stabilized each time I have pushed the Roll forward, and expected to move forward 5mph (40 - 35) in the worst case. Even in Sport Mode, no such (expected) reaction occured.

To achieve you neededto be in sport mode, in RTH mode speed is not so strong, it’s always best to start flight into the wind that way on your way back wind will be with you, your not the first to make this mistake just put it down to experience, it’s a tough lesson to learn but hopefully others will pick up on this and learn from it .
2019-5-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there WillDuLuxx. We do apologize for the incident happened to your DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason for the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period. Thank you for your understanding. Best Regards!
2019-5-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WillDuLuxx Posted at 5-10 08:04
The Mavic could have also speed at Max Speed, 65 kmh (40 mph), why this has not happened in your opinion?

The detail is in the Manual on page 11, when Object Avoidance is active as is normal in RTH mode then the forward speed is limited:-
Flight speed - Copy.png
2019-5-10
Use props
WillDuLuxx
lvl.1
Belgium

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-10 10:09
Hi, there WillDuLuxx. We do apologize for the incident happened to your DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason for the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period. Thank you for your understanding. Best Regards!

Hi Gamora,

Thanks for helping, ticket opened.

Kind regards,
WillDuLuxx
2019-5-11
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Yikes, you were flying so far from shore with such a strong downwind. I really admire your bravery and courage for such risky flying.
2019-5-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

WillDuLuxx Posted at 5-11 08:54
Hi Gamora,

Thanks for helping, ticket opened.

You're very much welcome Will.
2019-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now