What does this error mean??
1694 20 2019-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi everyone..

Purchased a DJI Osmop Pocket 3 weeks ago and went to use it the first time properly this week while on a short break.

Everytime I record on the unit after 2 minutes of recording it automatically stops recording and if you swipe the screen it comes up with an error of 'Do Not Operate While Shooting'.

The recording light is continiously lit red when this happens and when you click the record button it does not do anything.. Swipe the screen and the above error shows..

The only way to get the camera working again to is to power off the unit by holign power off for about 5 seconds and then it takes another 10'sish seconds for the gimble to be parked up correctly..

Turn it back and and its fine again until you record again and then it could stop recording itself between 1:30 and about 3 minutes.. This has been tested several time and same problem every time..

The unit has latest firmware installed and memory card has been checked and is showing no errors on any scan..

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be....

Thanks for any info guys and gals..

Hustler66

IMG_20190510_100922.jpg
2019-5-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, good day Hustler66. Thank you for reaching out. For Osmo Pocket, the video splitting mechanism is the same as other aircraft. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. There are some reasons:

1. For SD cards with a memory less than 64GB, only FAT32 file system can be used (SD Association stipulates that files can be formatted into exFAT in Windows system for non-standard usage). Files larger than 4GB cannot be stored on a FAT32 volume.
2. For SD cards with memory greater than or equal to 64GB, only exFAT file system can be used (which is specified by SD Association). Theoretically, a single file can exceed 4GB. However, in order to avoid errors resulted from files being too large, we still split files when the capacity exceeds 4GB.

In addition, The message "Do Not Operate While Shooting" is because you are trying to touch the screen when the OP is recording a video. Hope this will clarify your query to us. Should you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to reach us and we are more than happy to help you. Thank you for your continued support.
2019-5-10
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The card has been formatted in exFAT... However as I said in the post the recording automatically stops between 1:30 and 3 minutes... It does not continue to record on the memory card. None of the buttons then work... I explained that when the recording stops automatically the record button does not do anything. So even though the recording has stopped I cannot continue to record anything by pressing the record button because it comes up with that Do Not Operate While Shooting error.. Same error when the recording shuts off and buttons dont work, swipe the screen anyway and same error... Im looking at files now and the sizes of some of the ones that automatically stopped are as follows.

Size : 1,505,368     =    Length : 2 Min 3 Secs
Size : 1,385,554     =    Length : 1 Min 53 Secs
Size : 2,045,827     =    Length : 2 Min 47 Secs
Size : 3,776,466     =    Length : 5 Min 24 Secs
Size : 3,996,951     =    Length : 5 Min 37 Secs
Size :  2,927,913    =    Length : 4 Min

That is just a few on the memory card that stopped automatically.. As you can see they vary in length.. There are also some on here that do not show the length as its shows the size for example of 660,736 and when you attempt to play it, it says 'Problem Encountered When Trying To Play The File'.

I am 100% not recording a video when the error comes up and am also not touching the screen.. The only time I touch the screen is when the unit automatically stops as stated above and it is not recording as the light isn't flashing and the power light is continiously red.

I look forward to your response..

Thanks
2019-5-10
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hustler66 Posted at 5-10 12:39
The card has been formatted in exFAT... However as I said in the post the recording automatically stops between 1:30 and 3 minutes... It does not continue to record on the memory card. None of the buttons then work... I explained that when the recording stops automatically the record button does not do anything. So even though the recording has stopped I cannot continue to record anything by pressing the record button because it comes up with that Do Not Operate While Shooting error.. Same error when the recording shuts off and buttons dont work, swipe the screen anyway and same error... Im looking at files now and the sizes of some of the ones that automatically stopped are as follows.

Size : 1,505,368     =    Length : 2 Min 3 Secs

Make sure you are using an approved micro SD card with the minimum required specs met or preferably exceeded. As for the screen. You can't always operate the tilt control on the screen while recording. It's something that seems to have crept in on one of the firmware updates.
Mine will happily tilt down while in record mode but not upwards.
2019-5-10
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-10 13:36
Make sure you are using an approved micro SD card with the minimum required specs met or preferably exceeded. As for the screen. You can't always operate the tilt control on the screen while recording. It's something that seems to have crept in on one of the firmware updates.
Mine will happily tilt down while in record mode but not upwards.

"Mine will happily tilt down while in record mode but not upwards."

I thought it was just me.
2019-5-10
Use props
Moleman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119419 ft
United Kingdom

Plus 1 for the memory card check.
Firstly try a different card with the full spec and format it in the device (formatting in a computer doesn't always help and as I understand it still chops files even if you use XFAT so why bother.

The fact that there are files you cannot play means they were not closed properly an indication that the card could not keep up with the data stream going to it. I went through this years ago with a GoPro that would randomly stop recording - a different card fixed it.

Some cards may say they can handle a certain speed but may be faulty or just wrongly badged.
2019-5-10
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Card has been formatted in the DJI.
I have tried 2 different 256gb cards (Both U3 spec)
I have linked 2 videos showing when the unit has automatically stopped recording.
1st one shows no recording happening and when you swipe the screen you get the error message "Do Not Operate While Shooting"
2nd one shows the unit that has automatically stopped recording and even when you press record there is no response and again getting the "Do Not Operate While Shooting" when swiping screen.

1st One

2nd One

Thanks guys

P.S Forgot to add that I charged the unit up on a Saturday morning and when I came to use it on the following Monday it was on 85% and all it had been doing was sitting in its case..
2019-5-11
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sorry links didnt seem to link correctly..

Here are the video links directly on YouTube..

https://youtu.be/Sn9RkxvcGtA

https://youtu.be/urk6hY38f6U
2019-5-11
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The "Do not operate..." message only comes up if you try to swipe the screen when shooting - unless swiping from the bottom up.  That's because you can't (for instance) change the frame rate while shooting, so access to that function is blocked.  If you get the message any other time, you are using the screen clumsily so that it thinks you are swiping rather than tapping or whatever.  There's no problem using the on-screen control to tilt the gimbal in either direction - IF you do it accurately.  I spent some time this morning testing this on mine.
2019-5-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-11 20:05
The "Do not operate..." message only comes up if you try to swipe the screen when shooting - unless swiping from the bottom up.  That's because you can't (for instance) change the frame rate while shooting, so access to that function is blocked.  If you get the message any other time, you are using the screen clumsily so that it thinks you are swiping rather than tapping or whatever.  There's no problem using the on-screen control to tilt the gimbal in either direction - IF you do it accurately.  I spent some time this morning testing this on mine.

Clumsily or do you have slimmer fingers?
I could easily tilt the Pockets camera upward until the last firmware update. Since then I've had to use a phone stylus to get the camera gimbal to move upwards. Some of us I'm afraid do not have small delicate hands.
2019-5-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hustler66 Posted at 5-11 01:45
Card has been formatted in the DJI.
I have tried 2 different 256gb cards (Both U3 spec)
I have linked 2 videos showing when the unit has automatically stopped recording.

I'm afraid U3 on its own is not sufficient. It should also be at least A1 or preferably A2 compliant as well.
Also, on a card of that size, you should format the card on a regular basis after use to prevent the use of recording over discontiguous file sectors. Recording data at these speeds mean disruptions are easy to create.
2019-5-12
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I guess my fingers are relatively slim on the screen.  But shame about my tummy....
2019-5-12
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tried 2 different makes of 256gb U3 A1 cards...
As you can see from the video the unit is not recording on the one video and the second one the unit automatically stopped recording and then the record button is rendered useless as you can see me pressing the record button and its doing nothing.
I also know the Do Not Operate While Shooting error is supposed to only happen while shooting but as I said if you look its not even recording.. Whichever way I swipe the screen its the same error..
2019-5-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hustler66 Posted at 5-12 00:43
Tried 2 different makes of 256gb U3 A1 cards...
As you can see from the video the unit is not recording on the one video and the second one the unit automatically stopped recording and then the record button is rendered useless as you can see me pressing the record button and its doing nothing.
I also know the Do Not Operate While Shooting error is supposed to only happen while shooting but as I said if you look its not even recording.. Whichever way I swipe the screen its the same error..

Hi.
At this point, I'm still going to suspect the card.
Why? because manufacturers test and approve certain cards aware that some card internal structures don't support image file formats that well. Cheaper cards don't have the same internal redundancy structures in place to cope with corrupted data streams and the larger the cards used, the more likely that outcome is to occur.
The swiping of the screen bringing up the error message seems to suggest that the Pocket is still in record mode as well.
It could be a corruption of the firmware, in which case try to reset the Omo Pocket.
The power drop also suggests it's using power for the 5, 10 or 15 minutes 'Power off' duration setting that can be made in the settings menu. If when you start up the power on / off and record button are working normally then it is either a corrupt firmware or a card issue. Instruction sets are sent to the card on formatting using the Osmo Pocket and must be in place to operate correctly. Taking a card from a different device and placing it into a new device and using it before formatting in the new device can often cause this.
2019-5-12
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-12 02:02
Hi.
At this point, I'm still going to suspect the card.
Why? because manufacturers test and approve certain cards aware that some card internal structures don't support image file formats that well. Cheaper cards don't have the same internal redundancy structures in place to cope with corrupted data streams and the larger the cards used, the more likely that outcome is to occur.

Power off setting is set for 1 minute.
I have reset the Osmo on a couple of  occasions.
When i have tried the 2 different cards I have formatted both in the Osmo..
Going down to Argos in a but and going to buy a Sandisk Extreme to try..
Will post back findings later..
Thanks for all the help everyone.
2019-5-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hustler66 Posted at 5-12 02:09
Power off setting is set for 1 minute.
I have reset the Osmo on a couple of  occasions.
When i have tried the 2 different cards I have formatted both in the Osmo..

Please make sure that you format the card in the Osmo Pocket before you use the new card as the card should have the following folders in place before use.

Please note how large the highlighted folder is. This is one reason a card never reports the same size as the card's capacity.

That folder contains another five folders. GIS. IDX. LOG. THM. and XCODE.

2019-5-12
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Formatted both cards in the Osmo and I do not have the MISC folder on any of them..

Ive even selected 'Show All Hidden Folders' in the properties and still nothing in there apart from the DCIM
2019-5-12
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ah sorry..... I didnt click apply when I did that... There are all the folders that you mention in your post...
2019-5-12
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

2019-5-12
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

New Sandisk Extreme 128gb tried and exactly the same problem...
Reset Osmo again to factory settings and no joy..
Think I will take the unit back and get it exchanged.
2019-5-12
Use props
Hustler66
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Has anyone updated to the latest firmware from 12th April 2019??
Just reading thread here:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=186416&page=1&extra=#pid1856127
Person having the same trouble..
I have requested a replacement but awaiting confirmation of delivery time to store to get it swapped over..
2019-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules