OP-wireless module security issue!!!
1005 14 2019-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

It is now the 5th incidence of the same horrible & obvious security issue I witnessed in past 3 months.

When used in Public, where a LOT of ppl are using wifi-contriolled gears,

the password OP wireless module (<----> phone) was unknowingly reset to factory default 12341234
I am absolutely certain that I did nothing to reset the password I previously entered for all those incidence.

I think everyone knows the default password of OP Wireless Mod. So this means whenever I walk into crowd with OP W/M,
my videos / pix stored in OP go PUBLIC and exposed to everyone.

Dear DJI, this is a highly urgent issue, please deal with it immediately. Many many thanks

2019-5-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day bigbearhk. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us today. I will forward these information/thread to the designated DJI Department. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-5-10
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-10 15:04
Hello and good day bigbearhk. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us today. I will forward these information/thread to the designated DJI Department. Thank you for your valued support.

Thank you Stephan

BTW
I am always using Samsung Galaxy Note 9 in conjunction with OP + wireless module (coz I really hate the ONE inch display of OP, remote control via phone makes OP such a good product)

Before identifying the root cause(s), I suggest everyone periodically & actively browse their security setting when and after video-shooting in crowded places (apparently all 5 incidences are crowds of China tourists, no offence). If such hacking tool(s)  (& security flaw in OP wireless) exist, your files stored in OP hence privacy are NOT safe

2019-5-10
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Bigbearhk, check this out, see if it helps.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-184966-1-1.html
2019-5-10
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

And, what might the do with these files?
2019-5-10
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Oh-no Posted at 5-10 16:44
Bigbearhk, check this out, see if it helps.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-184966-1-1.html

Dear Oh-No, thank you.
But I have done the routine (Change Wifi password) the1st day I got wireless module.
The wifi password was miraculously set to factory default 12341234 while I am video shooting
in crowded area in Hong Kong, for at least 5 times
2019-5-10
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Curt1591 Posted at 5-10 16:49
And, what might the do with these files? [view_image]

Do u mean what would possible hackers do with my video/pix files in my OP?
I don't know. Maybe to toy with them? I have no idea what hackers have in mind.
Maybe they are bored or have nothing better to do?
Do u have any idea what privacy means?

2019-5-10
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

bigbearhk Posted at 5-10 23:16

It would take a pretty bored hacker to hack someone's pics and clips from an Osmo!

No challenge ...
2019-5-11
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

"Do u have any idea what privacy means?"

Actually I do. That's why I don't use Google and monitor my connections as I surf the web. For every connection I allow, I block a dozen.

Hate to feed your paranoia. But, are you aware of how many connections are made, many to non-related sites, every time you land most any webpage? Sometimes dozens! Many of these stay with you as you continue surfing the web, logging all your wanderings.

This is why I don't lose any sleep over the thought that someone could possibly "hack" my Pocket and steel my photos and/or videos ....

2019-5-11
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Actually I do. But, when it comes to stealing data, maybe you should be more concerned with surfing the web.

Are you aware of how many connections are made, many to non-related sites, every time you land a webpage? Sometimes it's dozens. Many of these log your activity, during you visit. Many will also ride along while you surf.

Look up  "invisioncic" and "glassbox". These 2 entities should take your mind off a possible Pocket data breach! But, of course the webmaster only use them so that they can make your experience more pleasurable ....

2019-5-11
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I think everyone knows the default password of OP Wireless Mod.
So this means whenever I walk into crowd with OP W/M,
my videos / pix stored in OP go PUBLIC and exposed to everyone.

2019-5-11
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

bigbearhk Posted at 5-10 23:14
Dear Oh-No, thank you.
But I have done the routine (Change Wifi password) the1st day I got wireless module.
The wifi password was miraculously set to factory default 12341234 while I am video shooting

Try to set a difficult to guess SSID and password.......
2019-5-11
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Another try is let it be the default password and SSID, try if you can login with another device, say another mobile phone .....
2019-5-11
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Curt1591 Posted at 5-11 02:57

Actually I do. But, when it comes to stealing data, maybe you should be more concerned with surfing the web.

Thank you 4 your reminder.
I don't need to find a worst benchmark to make myself forget possible security flaw of OP wireless.
You might accept loopholes in web surfing as normal part of your on-line living but I assure your not everyone does the same. Some did follow some strict rules to minimize data breach during surfing.

Why complicate a simple question?
I just wanna know if data stored in OP while attached to wireless module is safe, given the miraculous / unknown force reset? Sensible questions follow should be something like: is communication between phone and OP wireless encrypted? How vulnerable is osmo mimo to force-crack? Proprietary codes leaked?
NOT "WHY DONT YOU ACCEPT LOWER SECURITY STANDARDS?"

Did anyone seek benchmarkable answers from Go-Pro, already? Or this is a OSMO POCKET only issue?
2019-5-14
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

deleted ................
2019-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules