Help Please..ND filters on Auto settings? Mavic Air
3179 2 2019-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bennyblanka
lvl.1
Canada

Good afternoon

I am sorry of this has already been discussed somehwere on the forum, if so can someone send me the link to the thread.

I am new to this but want to start getting some good conematic video fotage with my Mavic air. I am going to Mexico on a flyfishing trip in a week and want to try and get some cool shots of our trip. I expect it will be mostly sunny and grabbed some ND filters, I got ND 8,16 and 32 as wel as 8 ND/PL, 16ND/PL and 32 ND/PL. Because I am shooting around water I would like to keep one of the polarized filters on at all times if possible.

I have decided to do the majority od my shooting in 24 FPS and I undertand that my goal is to acieve the 180 degree rule which would need a 50 shutter speed to achieve that nice motion blur and cinematic look. I understand that if I put my video camera into manual mode I can set the shutter speed to 50 and keep it there, but then I would need to use my ND filters to make sure I am not over exposing my shots and I dont want to screw up all my footage by having the wrong filter on. So i was wondering if I could keep the video settings on Auto 24FPS and just put the ND/PL filter on that best suits the lighting condition ( for exampple put the 16PL on if its sunny). Will the camera sensor adujct to my ND filter accordingly? or do i have to leave it on manual mode?

I read somewere that I can leave it on auto and adjust my EV value to keep it around -0.3 to -0.7 is there an easy way to adjust that on the fly ( litteraly while I am flying) I feel like putting it on manual mode and looking at histograms and adjusting everything is pretty intense for a newbie like me. I just want a good looking shot that has a polarized filter for the water glare while i am filming our fishing trip.

I am sorry of this has already been discussed somewhere on the forum, if so can someone send me the link to the thread.

thanks for your help
2019-5-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, good day bennyblanka. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation and suggestions from our valued DJI co-pilots that already had the experience using these ND filter for auto settings. Have a safe and happy flying always!
2019-5-13
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Will work in Auto, but the better way to use filters is to set your shutter speed, 24fps, then to 50ss, keep your ISO as low as possible, and then fit the filter that would let you use those two settings without changing.

If you don,t want to spend time with filters on, off etc, then yes, get a good CPL and shoot everything with it. I do this often. CPL on Air is always on, and only change filters if needed.

BUT, do remember, that although Auto can give good quality, it can still wash out your highlights CPL or not.
For the best quality, put some effort into it, and shoot manual with filters as needed, and changing settings on the fly. My 2 cents worth, others might dis agree.
2019-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules