POLL: Do You Contact Local Government About Drone Regulations?
1497 12 2019-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I'm am currently looking to close the loop on actual transparent (local and federal) regulations on sUAS/drone operations.  Being that the sUAS/drone recreational and commerical industry has increased significantly over the past few years, overall law enforcement and cultural mindset has not caught up as of yet, hence why drones are easily made out to be the current 'boogey man' and seemingly a larger threat than illegal handguns.
Here in NYC, there seems to be conflicting regulations and the local authorities fan the flames of fear onto the unknowing public.  What are your experiences in your areas?
Single SelectVote, Total 37 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-5-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there Neo Supreme. Thank you for sharing this pool to us and hope that you could get the best recommendation and suggestions from our valued DJI co-pilots. In addition, we highly recommend contacting the local authorities for us to know the specific laws and regulation of the particular location and we need to follow the rules on the said location for us not having any troubles in the future. Thank you for your kind and understanding and thank you for your continued support
2019-5-14
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
United States

I was expecting much more input than this.  So going from many other threads and posts, I take it that other sUAS operators 'wing it' when it comes to regulations?
2019-5-15
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

I've asked local law enforcement what are the rules and regulations that we have locally. We also have a few commercial drone pilots in the area as well as a bunch of hobbyist pilots. I try and talk with them and read a lot so I can try and stay within the rules.
2019-6-30
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer

Burmman Posted at 6-30 10:00
I've asked local law enforcement what are the rules and regulations that we have locally. We also have a few commercial drone pilots in the area as well as a bunch of hobbyist pilots. I try and talk with them and read a lot so I can try and stay within the rules.

I appreciate the response.  Sometimes I just want to fly without local restrictions for some really nice shots.  I do however, want to be in the right, just in case someone wants to approach me about flying.  Being armed with knowledge, regulations PLUS the part 107 is super valuable.
2019-10-7
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft

Is a big Yes from me,
  the place where I live "Macao”, surrounded by 2 international airports plus heliports and their NFZ literary covers almost entirely all city territory which is about 10.89 sq miles. (rest of the area is open ocean and boundary with Mainland China).
  So even if I want to fly in my kitchen, I should apply permit (I am not joking)
  Yes, can also apply self-unlocking on DJI website,  which I still need to inform the airport authorities about my  planned fly in case my drone may crash a plane passing over my kitchen bench.
  I should probably move somewhere in the middle of Sahara Desert.

2019-10-7
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer

akozc Posted at 10-7 21:56
Is a big Yes from me,
  the place where I live "Macao”, surrounded by 2 international airports plus heliports and their NFZ literary covers almost entirely all city territory which is about 10.89 sq miles. (rest of the area is open ocean and boundary with Mainland China).
  So even if I want to fly in my kitchen, I should apply permit (I am not joking)

I just checked Macao/Macau out on the map.  That looks/sounds like a great place for some fantastic aerial footage, too bad that they are so restrictive.  I thought NYC was bad, but it sounds pale in comparison with your location.
2019-10-8
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

No, because the *only* regulatory body in control of the National Airspace System is the FAA.  Townships, etc. have *no authority* over airspace.
2021-12-17
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

dr6583 Posted at 12-17 13:00
No, because the *only* regulatory body in control of the National Airspace System is the FAA.  Townships, etc. have *no authority* over airspace.

Well, I should qualify that answer to the US as many here are from other countries.  That said, in the US I highly recommend Pilot Institute.  Their trainer not only knows just about every US reg on drones, he is also a private pilot instructor.  He has lots of free content and the best part 107 training course for the money if you're ever interested in that.  Weekly drone news updates, etc.  Really one of the best drone sites put together i have seen.

This video is a little dated, but does an excellent job explaining what you can and cannot do without a Remote Pilot (part 107) license.  For example, is it ever possible to be paid for your footage without a part 107?  The answer may surprise you.  It's a good refresher for us all:

2021-12-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

dr6583 Posted at 12-17 13:00

True, but locals have control over land. Where and when you can take off and land. Same as a National Park. You can fly over, but not take off, land or control from NPS land.
2021-12-19
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-19 07:26
True, but locals have control over land. Where and when you can take off and land. Same as a National Park. You can fly over, but not take off, land or control from NPS land.

Good point
2021-12-19
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Neo Supreme, here in the Los Angeles area of the California state in the U.S., I think I would either confuse the local officials, or possible alert them of another place to cause problems, I do NOT include them in anything I do.
2022-1-10
Use props
GTS 350
lvl.4

United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 1-10 13:41
Neo Supreme, here in the Los Angeles area of the California state in the U.S., I think I would either confuse the local officials, or possible alert them of another place to cause problems, I do NOT include them in anything I do.
I agree 100% with this statement. .
2022-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules