12Next >
23521 43 2019-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
capthook
lvl.2
Flight distance : 238871 ft
United States

Is there a way to use a tablet as a 2nd monitor with the smart controller?
HDMI output converter cable?
USB A output?

There are times I would like to use my 10.5" tablet as a larger screen.
This is easy to do with the regular controller.
Seems a 'step down' to not be able to use a tablet with the Smart Controller.

I have seen "custom" set-ups using a portable HDMI monitor.
There are a few that might work on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/KALESMART-Monitor-1920x1080-Portable-Raspberry/dp/B07PRRVWNN/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_5?keywords=KALESMART+15.6+Inch+HDR+PC+Monitor&qid=1557863480&s=gateway&sr=8-5-fkmrnull

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-e1659Fwu-1366x768-Brightness-3-0-Powered/dp/B00CMKOVMO/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=AOC+e1659Fwu+15.6-Inch+Ultra+Slim&qid=1557863526&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But I would very much like to use my new Samsung Tab S5e and it's great screen.

Thanks!
2019-5-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. After connecting a mobile device to the DJI Smart Controller with a USB cable, the live view can't be transmitted, only the files can be exported. However, we will confirm with our designated department if we could possibly use the HDMI cable or USB A. Thank you for your support.
2019-5-14
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

I see there's supposedly a way to cast from an Android device to a Win10 system.  But that might mean purchasing a new device for input.

I did a quick search for hdmi output to another tablet and could not really find anything.
2019-5-14
Use props
Daltair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167723 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-14 12:19
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. After connecting a mobile device to the DJI Smart Controller with a USB cable, the live view can't be transmitted, only the files can be exported. However, we will confirm with our designated department if we could possibly use the HDMI cable or USB A. Thank you for your support.

I've surprised if I can't use HDMI output from smart controller. Is it really smart than?
2019-5-16
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

I use duel remote setup
2019-5-16
Use props
capthook
lvl.2
United States

Having researched it a bit, getting video INPUT into a phone/tablet is not a standard/easy task to accomplish.
The original controller seems to be fairly unique in being able to accomplish this.
Guessing by using some sort of custom capture hardware and software.
The smart controller does this also, but connects it to the built-in display, so no option to output that feed to another device.
The idea anyway is to control with the SC and use a tablet as a 2nd larger monitor.

The HDMI output would seem to be the only way to do that, and is a neat upgrade with different output views available.
The few options I found for HDMI -

1. EasyCAP USB 2.0 capture card
https://www.amazon.com/EasyCap-Capture-Video-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01H6OQI1W

A poor resolution, hack-together option.  

2. ClonerAlliance Flint LXT, Super Portable UVC HDMI Video Capture Device : $114
https://www.amazon.com/ClonerAlliance-Portable-Camcorder-Latency-Supported/dp/B079DNB4S3

This looks like a device that might be perfect.  Anyone know anything about it?

3.  Portable HDMI monitor with powerbank
A number of options

I wonder what technology DJI is using for the input to phones/tablets.
Is it possible to develop/sell an HDMI to USB-C adapter?  Guess it would need software/app also.

2019-5-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Daltair Posted at 5-16 01:49
I've surprised if I can't use HDMI output from smart controller. Is it really smart than?

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The Smart controller supports 4k output via HDMI and it doesn't support HDMI input. Hope that this information would help. Thank you for your support.
2019-5-18
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Tony Posted at 5-18 16:13
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The Smart controller supports 4k output via HDMI and it doesn't support HDMI output. Hope that this information would help. Thank you for your support.

What do you mean? Does it support 4k via HDMI, or not???
2019-5-19
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Which tablet are you using?
I think the problem with tablets, is that they only outputs video signals, not input.
Get a small video monitor instead.
2019-5-19
Use props
capthook
lvl.2
United States

CineView Media Posted at 5-19 03:29
Which tablet are you using?
I think the problem with tablets, is that they only outputs video signals, not input.
Get a small video monitor instead.

Galaxy Tab S5e.

A phone or tablet is capable of input from the standard controller.
So DJI has some interesting (mysterious / magic) hardware and software combo to do it.

Just trying to figure out how to do it with smart controller :-0
2019-5-19
Use props
Daltair
lvl.4
United States

CineView Media Posted at 5-19 03:25

I looked through manual for the device, and it seems 4k HDMI supported only for playback files downloaded to smart controller. If you are going to use external 4k monitor during flight - it is not supported.
The details are not explained. Maybe HD output still possible to use (as drone transmission is HD), that will be fine. Maybe HDMI is blocked during flight due to high load on processing unit. There is no info I have found.
2019-5-19
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Daltair Posted at 5-19 22:30
I looked through manual for the device, and it seems 4k HDMI supported only for playback files downloaded to smart controller. If you are going to use external 4k monitor during flight - it is not supported.
The details are not explained. Maybe HD output still possible to use (as drone transmission is HD), that will be fine. Maybe HDMI is blocked during flight due to high load on processing unit. There is no info I have found.

I was more  referring to the admins statement, were he says its support hdmi and not supporting hdmi in the same sentence.
I wonder if anyone at dji actually knows anything at all.
2019-5-19
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

capthook Posted at 5-19 16:20
Galaxy Tab S5e.

A phone or tablet is capable of input from the standard controller.

Then it must have an app that automatically initiates a live feed.
No tablet does that on the home screen by itself
2019-5-19
Use props
Daltair
lvl.4
United States

CineView Media Posted at 5-19 22:55
I was more  referring to the admins statement, were he says its support hdmi and not supporting hdmi in the same sentence.
I wonder if anyone at dji actually knows anything at all.

I guess they are mainly been told what to say, and what NOT to say.
2019-5-19
Use props
capthook
lvl.2
United States

I have seen YouTube videos showing HDMI output to a monitor while using the Smart Controller.
The output video has several options, like showing the view with the HUD or just showing the camera view.I don't know if the video is 4K or 1080P.

2019-5-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

CineView Media Posted at 5-19 03:25

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. We do apologize for the confusion. The Smart controller supports 4k output but it doesn't support HDMI input. The highest output resolution as below: Hope that this would clarify the query.

4096x2160p60.00
4096x2160p59.94
4096x2160p50.00
4096x2160p24.00
4096x2160p23.98
2019-5-21
Use props
Daltair
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-21 13:48
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. We do apologize for the confusion. The Smart controller supports 4k output but it doesn't support HDMI input. The highest output resolution as below: Hope that this would clarify the query.

4096x2160p60.00

4096x2160p60.00 - that is amazing!
2019-5-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Daltair Posted at 5-22 04:08
4096x2160p60.00 - that is amazing!

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, that specific resolution can be supported via HDMI. Should you have further concerns, please keep us posted.
2019-5-23
Use props
DJI Bryan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1637372 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have this setup, but with the 7 "screen.
Really perfect.

2019-6-1
Use props
capthook
lvl.2
United States

Great video. Thanks for the posting it.
Looks like a great setup!  ($$$)

Thus far, the SC by itself has been good.
The screen clarity and brightness is great.
My old eyes just need reading glasses to see the 5" screen well.
Getting a HDMI field monitor some day would be nice.
A 9"+ monitor would be more my wishlist .
2019-8-17
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

if you got the std rc and the sc link em both to the drone and have the tablet on the std rc, tis what I do, need to rest one on something, bit of a pain hanging both on ya neck.
2019-8-17
Use props
capthook
lvl.2
United States

raven swe Posted at 8-17 21:26
if you got the std rc and the sc link em both to the drone and have the tablet on the std rc, tis what I do, need to rest one on something, bit of a pain hanging both on ya neck.

Interesting idea!
I bought the M2P with the SC, so I don't have the standard controller.
Looks like a standard controller can be bought from 2nd hand vendors for about $450.
More $$ than a decent HDMI field monitor.

Thanks for the excellent idea on using the standard controller to run a tablet!
2019-8-18
Use props
GoFly Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Bryan Posted at 6-1 02:06
I have this setup, but with the 7 "screen.
Really perfect.

yea me too its wicked and it all fits in this case too
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... .0.0.93564c4dHP5VqE
2019-8-19
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3501650 ft
  • >>>

I made this for a few hundred $. Tv, portable power supply and hdmi wireless tx
2019-9-3
Use props
MJRH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23825 ft

AnzacJack Posted at 9-3 17:56
[view_image]

I love this set up!
2019-9-5
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

First thing is understanding that the HDMI port on the SC, tablets and laptops are HDMI out. Plugging in an HDMI cable from the SC to an HDMI port on another viewing device isnt going to work without a third party conversion. Anzakjack, above, has figured out how to do it wirelessly. Here's my link on how to do it connected to a laptop and should work on a tablet . This is using CamLink 4K HDMI out of the SC to a USB port: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=196776
2019-9-23
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

[view_image]

Can you show and list out the components you're using for this? Looks good. Thanks
2019-9-23
Use props
GoFly Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

[view_image]

looks wicked , what wireless tx did you use ?
cheers
2019-9-24
Use props
fans9b28d06a
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>

dji googles are your best bet.
2019-9-24
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
  • >>>

DennisMurry08 Posted at 9-23 07:13
First thing is understanding that the HDMI port on the SC, tablets and laptops are HDMI out. Plugging in an HDMI cable from the SC to an HDMI port on another viewing device isnt going to work without a third party conversion. Anzakjack, above, has figured out how to do it wirelessly. Here's my link on how to do it connected to a laptop and should work on a tablet . This is using CamLink 4K HDMI out of the SC to a USB port: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=196776
. the hdmi on the smart controller is hdmi OUT.  You can plug any monitor that has hdmi IN and this and it will work. No special trick. Of course going into a laptop or similar is different, but I’m just going into a monitor (a tv actually)
2019-10-11
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
  • >>>

This is the wireless components I used
https://www.jaycar.com.au/5-8ghz ... r-receiver/p/AR1909
And then into a tv powered by this
https://www.jaycar.com.au/multi- ... wer-centre/p/MB3748

packed into this (took a bit of searching to find this case that would fit the monitor I chose)
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-trolley-safe-case---615mm-x-493mm-x-220mm/550899.html?cgid=SCA0105100203#start=5

2019-10-11
Use props
djiuser_aISEWPKq9AJJ
New

United States

The smart controller supports casting. So what I did was hook up a smart controller to my epson bt-300 via the same wifi network. Then went to settings - > display on the glasses to receive cast and on the smart controller to cast to the epson.

Works fine but there's a little latency. You could cast the smart controller to a TV, Android tablet. Etc
2020-3-29
Use props
djiuser_9xi4jJHoDtIV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1227995 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I just use the connect app on my windows surface pro, it allows you to cast from the smart controller screen works really well. You just need to be connected to the same network, in this case in the field a mobile hotpsot off your mobile device. I was about to go out and buy a portable monitor until I worked this out.
20200607_091839.jpg
2020-6-6
Use props
scoble08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4327592 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_9xi4jJHoDtIV Posted at 6-6 15:22
I just use the connect app on my windows surface pro, it allows you to cast from the smart controller screen works really well. You just need to be connected to the same network, in this case in the field a mobile hotpsot off your mobile device. I was about to go out and buy a portable monitor until I worked this out.

I've got a Surface Pro.  Could you provide instructions on how to do this?
2020-6-7
Use props
The_Malit
New
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-5-14 12:19
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. After connecting a mobile device to the DJI Smart Controller with a USB cable, the live view can't be transmitted, only the files can be exported. However, we will confirm with our designated department if we could possibly use the HDMI cable or USB A. Thank you for your support.

Any way of transmitting via the USB-C port with a cable to an external portable monitor such as one for a laptop?
2021-2-18
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-5-18 16:13
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The Smart controller supports 4k output via HDMI and it doesn't support HDMI input. Hope that this information would help. Thank you for your support.

I have a crystal sky 7.85 ultra, in settings you can enable the HDMI and select video oe copy screen.  The first is clean video from drone, the second is the same video overlay and video you see on the CS displauy.  Possibly the same setup on Smart Controller.  To bad Dji didn't listen when we asked for video in to just act like a video monitor.  It would have increased it's utility for videographers to have an outdoor bright monitor.  Sell more?
2021-5-2
Use props
wielka
lvl.3
Canada

I'm using USB C at the back of remote to feed video to my Moverio Glasses. It works perfect if you use proper grade USB c cable.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I just looked at the Smart Controller user Manual page 21 -  you can open HDMI to display the drone video; Settings press HDMI icon for a couple seconds, options, display options are then customizeable.  (I would have cut and pasted what it said, but the pdf won't let me.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-5-14 12:19

Page 21 of the users manual says you can select HDMI and in settings (pressing the HDMI ?Icon? for 2 seconds brings up the settings to tailor your output.  Sounds like what the crystal sky does (video or video with data overlay selectable).  I could not cut n paste the info, so this is my synopsis.  I do not know what the options actually are on the Smart Controller, because I don't own one yet.  AND THE MANUAL DOESN'T SAY!!!  Still considering, but mad about loss of my Crystal Sky 7.85 Ultra use going forward.  Android v 5.1.1 vs v Android 6 minimum for DJI Fly.  Still OK for Go4 App.  

So it looks like I can use video in to my DJI Goggles and see what is on my controller.

So maybe you could ask the tech guys what those HDMI options are.  Please, it makes a difference on buying it.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

wielka Posted at 5-3 06:37
I'm using USB C at the back of remote to feed video to my Moverio Glasses. It works perfect if you use proper grade USB c cable.

What is the proper Grade cable?  Data transmission speed?  USB-C 3.0 or 3.1?  Gen 2?
2021-5-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules