DJI OSMO ACTION - Unleash Your Other Side On A Race Track!
5656 14 2019-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kerberos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2847851 ft
  • >>>
Italy

The new DJI Osmo Action is here!
DSC_1729.jpg
Before spending any word... ENJOY THE VIDEO!

Time to share some details! I'm not a reviewer so I will not provide a full list of technical data (that you can find in specific reviews), but just the "user's experience" I had.
The product activation is straight-forward, just like the Osmo Pocket. The MiMo app seems already quite stable when used with the Osmo Action, even if we are at the very first versions of the firmware. More improvements will come for sure. The user experience is simple and pleasing. Like the recent updates of the Osmo Pocket, the new Osmo Action can be fully controlled by the main touch-screen. Modes, settings, playback... you don't need the phone to make it work. And if you are a selfie-addicted... the front color screen is very handy. Just double-tap with two fingers on the back screen to switch between screens! DSC_1730.jpg
Some words about the battery: doesn't it remember you a well-known form factor? The same thing for the mounts... and that's a great move. Two locks assure the battery is properly installed and this allows to use the Osmo Action up to 11 meters underwater without the need of any sealed housing. That's great for snorkeling or similar activities.

DJI Osmo Action - front view

DJI Osmo Action - front view

As you can see by the captions in my video, the technical features are top notch but what really impressed me, for my needs, were the RockSteady electronic image stabilization, the slow-motion capability, and the overall dynamic range. Let's start with the first one.

DJI Osmo Action - screw-on ND filters

DJI Osmo Action - screw-on ND filters

1) ROCKSTEADY
If you are not used to race cars, just guess how many vibrations and jolts a driver suffers driving a very stiff car along a race track. The Osmo Action did a great work providing a convincing electronic stabilization (at the cost of a minimum loss of field of view) without any sign of artifacts or weirdness. Comparing to my old Hero5, the stabilization algorithm of the Osmo Action is night and day! The feature supports up to 4K/60P/100mbps, but not in combination with the 4K HDR Video feature.

2) SLOW MOTION
Up to 240 frames per second at 1080p without any relevant loss of quality than the usual frame rates (24/25/30) at 1080p resolution. It's the perfect match for action sequences and speed ramping in post-production. I love it.

3) DYNAMIC RANGE
No LOG profile so far (I really hope it will be possible in the future), but CineLike gives very good results. My video was recorded with CineLike profile and ND16 filter and just a bit of color-grading. I'm very very pleased about the result, considering the high natural contrast during the shooting session.

Other features are timelapse, hyperlapse, timed photo, long exposure, but I didn't test yet all the functions provided.
The following pictures show some close-ups and the difference in size with the Osmo Pocket. The form factor is similar to most of the action cameras out there, but what I appreciated more is the screw-on system for the filters.

Last but not least: thanks DJI for this product!

Here to Buy the Osmo Action DSC_1727.jpg

DJI Osmo Action - size 2

DJI Osmo Action - size 2

2019-5-15
Use props
ParideM
First Officer
Flight distance : 6103757 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Nice video!! well done
2019-5-15
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

The image stabilization is impressive!
2019-5-15
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

As good as the Osmo action is for action/EIS footage in good light situations, I would still keep my Osmo Pocket for low light situations.  The Osmo action also suffers from the grainy/jittering effect in very low light when EIS is turned on.  I will probably wait and keep my Gopro 6 black for action/underwater footage and Osmo Pocket for other non-action footage.....and see what the next gen Gopro 8/Osmo Action 2 will bring... maybe a larger sensor/upgraded EIS/etc. which would definately be a game changer too.
2019-5-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, good day kerberos. Thank you for sharing this awesome footage that you've captured using your new DJI Osmo Action Camera. Should you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to reach us and we are more than happy to help. Have a good one.
2019-5-15
Use props
kerberos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2847851 ft
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-15 10:46
Hi, good day kerberos. Thank you for sharing this awesome footage that you've captured using your new DJI Osmo Action Camera. Should you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to reach us and we are more than happy to help. Have a good one.

Thanks Gamora and all the DJI team for the opportunity.
After testing it, I'm now very happy to have the Osmo Action in my backpack to complement my other DJI products.
2019-5-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent review
2019-5-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, great work!
2019-5-16
Use props
Toedles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Nice one, many thanks.
2019-5-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

kerberos Posted at 5-15 23:02
Thanks Gamora and all the DJI team for the opportunity.  
After testing it, I'm now very happy to have the Osmo Action in my backpack to complement my other DJI products.

You're very much welcome and we're glad that you are satisfied with our new product. Thank you for your continued support.
2019-5-16
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

2019-5-18
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Nice video!! well done
2019-5-19
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great review
2019-5-26
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

wow cool yeah !! `_´
2019-5-26
Use props
sHolax
New
Germany

It would be perfect if the camera reports the gyro datas! For professional video editining its very important! A lot of FPV Pilots went back to Gopro because of it! Go for it!
2019-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules