osmo pocket vs new "osmo action"
1505 11 2019-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

So...

Taking a look at this (the osmo action) - seems cool - but wondering, do I really 'need' it if I already have the osmo pocket?

I don't really do the 'helmet' shots (where you attach a camera to your head), I'm assuming the "rocksteady" stablization is basically the same thing in the osmo pocket... I don't really go swimming that much (last time I think I actually 'swam' deep in the ocean was 15 years ago) - and in a pool 4/5 years ago (but I think you'd raise some eyebrows if you brought it to a public pool)... HDR is cool - but I'd like to see that added to the pocket...

If I was doing wakeboarding, surfing, any kind of daily water activity, mountainclimbing, etc every day - then yes, I think I would definitely get it... (I guess maybe that is why it is called the "action" cam ), because I'd use it...

But I am thinking right now it would just sit on my desk as a pretty paperweight... unless - is there some feature/benefit use I am missing out that would greatly complement my osmo pocket?

If I was doing watersports on a regular basis - this seems like it would be a great plus... but if I'm not - any other benefits to using it than the osmo pocket?

Thanks!

2019-5-15
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

If it helps, I have 3 GoPro cams now collecting dust ever since I got the Osmo Pocket.  They are different cameras and hardly used them for water sports.  I mainly use them for bike rides or as a dashboard cam.  It's nice to see that now DJI in the action cam game, but the action cam does not excite me.  I will save my money to see what the next osmo pocket will bring to the table.   
2019-5-15
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dji+osmo+action+camera&sp=CAJIAOoDAA%253D%253D

2019-5-15
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

BeterBan Posted at 5-15 07:04
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dji+osmo+action+camera&sp=CAJIAOoDAA%253D%253D

[view_image]

As good as the Osmo action is for action/EIS footage in good light situations, I would still keep my Osmo Pocket for low light situations.  The Osmo action also suffers from the grainy/jittering effect in very low light when EIS is turned on.  I will probably wait and keep my Gopro 6 black for action/underwater footage and Osmo Pocket for other non-action footage.....and see what the next gen Gopro 8/Osmo Action 2 will bring... maybe a larger sensor/upgraded EIS/etc. which would definately be a game changer too.
2019-5-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

These two cameras address quite different use cases.  They produce very different styles of content.  Which you choose depends on your own use case and the style you prefer.

Obviously, the Action model doesn't help you keep the camera horizon level nor does it do anything for tilt.    You can't angle the display so if you want to use it for a very low shot, you've got to lie down, or use the app, or hope you've got it pointing in the required directon.   You can't track a moving object, nor can you lock onto an object as you go around it, or raise and lower the camera.  I think I am right in saying that when taking photos with the Action, there's no stabilisation at all.  You can't connect an external mic (at present).  There's no face tracking when doing selfies.  The list goes on.

But on the other side of the coin, you can attach it to something that vibrates, like the handlebars on your bike, and you'll get stable footage.  With the Pocket, you'll get a mess.  The Pocket has to be treated with respect, particularly the relatively delicate gimble head.  The Action is made for rough handling, and it's waterproof to 11 metres.  The Action has more slow motion options.  Its rear screen is larger (maybe the front one too).  

Obviously I've not identified all the differences, but that's some that immediately spring to mind.  Personally I'll stick with my El Cheapo action camera - at my age, I don't get much action!
2019-5-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

HK$ 2,999.....
2019-5-15
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ordered one so I'll have both the OP and the action. There are something that a action cam is better for while the OP is better at other stuff. BTW, PgyTech OA ND PL filter set are up for pre-order and I just ordered mine.
2019-5-15
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-15 07:29
These two cameras address quite different use cases.  They produce very different styles of content.  Which you choose depends on your own use case and the style you prefer.

Obviously, the Action model doesn't help you keep the camera horizon level nor does it do anything for tilt.    You can't angle the display so if you want to use it for a very low shot, you've got to lie down, or use the app, or hope you've got it pointing in the required directon.   You can't track a moving object, nor can you lock onto an object as you go around it, or raise and lower the camera.  I think I am right in saying that when taking photos with the Action, there's no stabilisation at all.  You can't connect an external mic (at present).  There's no face tracking when doing selfies.  The list goes on.

nice summary, and as for the last comment ...
2019-5-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would share their thoughts regarding your concern which would help you to decide whether you would like to purchase our new DJI Osmo Action cam. Please let us know if you have further concerns. Thank you for your support.
2019-5-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Either way, it's still needing the USB-C audio adaptor to use an external mic. So presumably, mono again.
2019-5-15
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

osmo action got the custom settings presets in the menu before Osmo Pocket....  I hope they can add them to Osmo Pocket now... C1 C2 etc...
2019-5-15
Use props
Ern
lvl.3

United Kingdom

My GoPro hero 5 session is gathering dust.
On a separate note It will be interesting to see a tear down of the action
If its the same chip all function with software would work on both cameras. It just need implementing. They are using the same mimo app
I also read somewhere that the Osmo pocket chip had wifi built in it but not used. A tear down should reveal all
2019-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules