Me too
2019-5-28
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

for example, you have osmo pocket and action so you need to buy 2 adapters ... It's terrible
2019-5-28
Use props
fans843ed59a
New

United States

I tested all 3rd party usbc mic adapters plus the pocket mic adapter on the Osmo Action, none work. “DJI Osmo Action vs GoPro Hero 7 Black for Motorcycle Riders” on YouTube
2019-6-1
Use props
fans843ed59a
New

United States

I tested all 3rd party usbc mic adapters plus the pocket mic adapter on the Osmo Action, none work. DJI Osmo Action vs GoPro Hero 7 Black for Motorcycle Riders
2019-6-1
Use props
SenSuuri
New
Flight distance : 545 ft

Finland

I just asked about the adapter situation from the chat and got totally different answer that all of you.

So what do I belive now
2019-6-1
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

SenSuuri Posted at 6-1 23:40
I just asked about the adapter situation from the chat and got totally different answer that all of you.
[view_image]
So what do I belive now

I THINK you believe the folks here who have tested various 3rd party mics and adapters.  UNLESS, perhaps the firmware needs some tweaking to allow them to work????
2019-6-2
Use props
Turbo16v
lvl.3
  • >>>
Switzerland

What About a USB-C Mic like the Shure MV88+. Will it work with the USB-C port?
2019-6-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Turbo16v Posted at 6-5 03:23
What About a USB-C Mic like the Shure MV88+. Will it work with the USB-C port?

Hi.

From everything that I've seen so far there is no USB adaptor that will work, I've tried about five myself.

This would seem to suggest a few things.

There are no 3rd party ones that work.

A firmware update is necessary for any 3rd party ones to work.

It will only work with a DJI one that has not been released yet.

In any event, the information from DJI, especially what some people have received via email, is very conflicting with itself and nothing so far has been said that helps the end user.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-6-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BTW.

Just to clear something up that some people may be misunderstanding.

DJI are saying that the Action will work with '3rd Party Microphones'.

That's microphones and not 3rd Party Microphone adaptors. They are not saying that 3rd Party USB audio/mic adaptors will work, but more confusingly they are not saying that 3rd Party USB audio/microphone adaptors wont work either.

DJI should really create a sticky thread that properly explains all this and also let users know when they should expect an official DJI adaptor to be available, or if and which 3rd party ones will work and if any of this is still reliant on future firmware.

2019-6-5
Use props
Turbo16v
lvl.3
  • >>>
Switzerland

@ David_Harry

Thank you for your answer ;)

It's only because I have a Shure MV88+ and it seems to work with my DJI Smart Controller directly to the USB-C port without any Adapter

Woud be nice if it also will work with the Osmo Action after a Firmware update ;)
2019-6-5
Use props
osmoboy
lvl.2

Italy

hi there,
what do you think of the external microphone etm-001 from Etudige? would he be a good choice for the Action? Do have you ever tried it on other devices? thank you
2019-6-7
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

j_taylor Posted at 5-24 04:21
To make myself (and any of you lot) feel better, i had a Gopro Hero 7 Black since launch and look at the brick you had to use for proper audio with that:

[view_image]

Someone know or see if the gopro adapter work with the osmo action ?? Can be interesting to try that
2019-6-7
Use props
Drones Puppet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 390154 ft
Germany

The french globetrotter Posted at 6-7 14:16
Someone know or see if the gopro adapter work with the osmo action ?? Can be interesting to try that

I tried it. Won't work.

Summary: No external mic adapter, massive delay on rocksteady - I will sell it.
2019-6-7
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Drones Puppet Posted at 6-7 14:29
I tried it. Won't work.

Summary: No external mic adapter, massive delay on rocksteady - I will sell it.

OKay thanks for tried.

The mic adapter will coming but I hope soon :/
2019-6-7
Use props
David_61
lvl.1
Germany

hi there! an external mic definitely doesn t work with a third party usb-c to 3.5 cable. i ve just tried it with a wireless lavalier, speaking into the mic from another room. the only noise on "tape" was the sound of the tv. also with a sennheiser mke 440 no different sound from the internal mic. so i ve invested money into cables that do no good here...
2019-6-18
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

David_61 Posted at 6-18 10:00
hi there! an external mic definitely doesn t work with a third party usb-c to 3.5 cable. i ve just tried it with a wireless lavalier, speaking into the mic from another room. the only noise on "tape" was the sound of the tv. also with a sennheiser mke 440 no different sound from the internal mic. so i ve invested money into cables that do no good here...

Hi David.

I’ve tried about 5 adaptors/interfaces and none have worked and I’ve not found anyone that’s shown it to work either. Also, Kai who made the video showing an external working has been called into question about his example. I know of one YouTuber who bought the same cable that Kai suggested and it didn’t work.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-6-18
Use props
Jimmy Singh
lvl.3
United States

I hope they fix this mic thing fast, because this is one of the reason I bought the Cam for. To do basically vlogging
2019-6-20
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Jimmy Singh Posted at 6-20 17:11
I hope they fix this mic thing fast, because this is one of the reason I bought the Cam for. To do basically vlogging

Maybe you can use one of these:

d238ca3df765fd751a8d79bd4454f3de--vintage-medical-hearing-aids.jpg
2019-6-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Jimmy Singh Posted at 6-20 17:11
I hope they fix this mic thing fast, because this is one of the reason I bought the Cam for. To do basically vlogging

Hi Jimmy.

I totally agree. My main reason for the Action was also to use it for recording with external mics for interviews and vlogs. Let's hope DJI release an adaptor soon or let people know which 3rd party ones work.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-6-21
Use props
Kevi32
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10781 ft
United States

Hi,

I just contacted DJI Customer support on this issue.  I copy and pasted, from their FAQ:

Can I use an external microphone with Osmo Action?
Yes. You can connect Osmo Action with a third-party microphone through the USB-C port by the 3.5mm adapter.

And asked which 3rd party microphone and USB-C.  The response, after 5 minutes, was the USB-C port to 3.5mm adapter is not available and the Osmo Pocket will not work.  They asked if I would like to be added to their system to be alerted "if ever" the adapter is released.

I told them that was a bummer, that DJI was half way there.  They designed a vlog camera without a microphone, so if you want to interview anyone in a noisy environment, or yourself, you have to put up with the background noise.

I'm afraid this is another nail in the coffin for DJI Osmo Action for me.  I really really really wanted to like this but its to immature for me to spend 350 plus batteries plus chargers etc.  I have one in my cart in the DJI store and I have a Hero7 in my cart in the GoPro store.  

Its like picking between Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom all over again

2019-6-21
Use props
BrighterLight
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone seen this video covering USB mic possibilities?  I am just now starting to look for mic options so forgive me if I am late or this duplicates another post. I found this thread from a Google search.
Tried to post the URL but it says I don't have permissions. The name of the video is: ULTIMATE Vlog Setups for the DJI Osmo Action + GIVEAWAY  on Flytpath's channel. I have no affiliation with them.
2019-6-21
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

BrighterLight Posted at 6-21 12:35
Has anyone seen this video covering USB mic possibilities?  I am just now starting to look for mic options so forgive me if I am late or this duplicates another post. I found this thread from a Google search.
Tried to post the URL but it says I don't have permissions. The name of the video is: ULTIMATE Vlog Setups for the DJI Osmo Action + GIVEAWAY  on Flytpath's channel. I have no affiliation with them.

In that video comments he notes: "* Note that the current Osmo Action firmware does not support external audio. I would expect the new firmware and adapter to be released shortly."
2019-6-21
Use props
Jimmy Singh
lvl.3
United States

Yes, I watched his video as well. He does indeed indicates external mic doesn't work yet. Also he simply shows his best setup for Osmo action
2019-6-22
Use props
justinhammondphoto
lvl.2
United States

Josh from Make Art Now on YouTube has the new adapter.

https://youtu.be/6Z_gBXlbKHY

He mentions in the comments he has a pre-released version and it should be released in a few weeks. Looks like they are sending the beta ones out.
2019-6-27
Use props
fans90b15720
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19108 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

justinhammondphoto Posted at 6-27 13:34
Josh from Make Art Now on YouTube has the new adapter.

https://youtu.be/6Z_gBXlbKHY

That's weird. Cuz it definitely looks like a standard dji OSMO Pocket miс adaptor. And he didn't use it ... cuz it doesn't work. The rest - just an excuses.
2019-6-28
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans90b15720 Posted at 6-28 02:04
That's weird. Cuz it definitely looks like a standard dji OSMO Pocket miс adaptor. And he didn't use it ... cuz it doesn't work. The rest - just an excuses.

Yes he did use it. He actually had it connected to a Tentacle Sync so he could match timecode, so it absolutely DID work. He also said it is a Pre-release Osmo Action Mic Adapter.
2019-6-28
Use props
TheZero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2129 ft
Germany

Hopefully there will soon be a new firmware that supports external microphone adapter
2019-7-2
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Here's the first video I've found with the DJI Osmo Action microphone adaptor.

The video is in German with English subtitles. Even if you don't understand German, just like me, the dialogue should give you a very good idea about sound quality.

From the information given in the video, it is clear that this adaptor is different from the one for the Osmo Pocket. Given that both the Pocket and Action would have been in development at the same time, there is absolutely no reason why both cameras couldn't share the already expensive mic interface for the Pocket. My opinion of this is that DJI have completely took the p1ss out of their customers who support DJI by buying multiple products of theirs.

Also. While I appreciate the information in this video, there is nowhere enough example audio of the adaptor as their should have been and the testing definitely doesn't do any favours for the Action and the adaptor. DJI should really get people who know more about audio to do these types of end user videos.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-7-11
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 7-11 08:07
Here's the first video I've found with the DJI Osmo Action microphone adaptor.

The video is in German with English subtitles. Even if you don't understand German, just like me, the dialogue should give you a very good idea about sound quality.

Dave, when new firmware released for the OA audio adapter, try the OP audio adapter on the OA first before you buy the grey one......

The youtuber didn't put the black one to the OA, or the grey one to the OP ..... seems something behind ....
2019-7-11
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 7-11 09:33
Dave, when new firmware released for the OA audio adapter, try the OP audio adapter on the OA first before you buy the grey one......

The youtuber didn't put the black one to the OA, or the grey one to the OP ..... seems something behind ....

Hi.

I will definitely try it out. In the video at about 4:25 the guy says that the Pocket one wont work, I'd assumed he'd already tried this or it was info given to him by DJI.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-7-11
Use props
Jimmy Singh
lvl.3
United States

Any update on external mic?
2019-7-20
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

While I don't think I'd have much use for an external/accessory mic, I can see where it would be necessary.  The internal system is pretty poor and I don't know whether that's my camera or an overall design flaw.  So why it is taking so long to introduce this accessory or firmware fix I can't understand.  DJI should have known from the beginning that this would be in demand and by now should have offered it.
2019-7-21
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Man, a couple things really tick me off, here. First of all, there are NO good reasons why DJI couldn't make the Osmo Pocket mic adapter work with the Action (note I said GOOD reasons, not "to make more money"). Expecting us to pay ANOTHER $50 for ANOTHER mic adapter, when we are trying to stay loyal to DJI is unsatisfactory.

Secondly, what if, when the Action mic adapter comes out, it looks identical to the one for the Pocket? How in the heck are we going to tell them apart?
2019-7-22
Use props
Shervin Koushan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196037 ft
Norway

Thanks for sharing
2019-7-23
Use props
Philip Suarez
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I cancelled my GoPro 7 order today due to the out of stock mic adaptor issue. It appears DJI is no better and also no live streaming functionality. Seems I can’t spend my money!
2019-8-5
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Philip Suarez Posted at 8-5 03:57
I cancelled my GoPro 7 order today due to the out of stock mic adaptor issue. It appears DJI is no better and also no live streaming functionality. Seems I can’t spend my money!

That is a terrible problem.  Good luck or I can provide an address or a charity that might take your money.
2019-8-5
Use props
NodOff
lvl.1

United States

Indio Posted at 5-24 03:38
what?
i have the very expensive DJI audioadapter for my pocket and can't use it on the action?

Unfortunately this is going to keep happening, as these terrible business practices continue.
2019-8-6
Use props
philsuarez
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 8-5 05:41
That is a terrible problem.  Good luck or I can provide an address or a charity that might take your money.

Very first world issue lol
2019-8-6
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

DJI Tony Posted at 5-15 08:50
Hi, thanks for sharing this interesting video with us. As of the time being, the other accessories that could use in the DJI Osmo Action cam haven't been released in our store and our designated department hasn't cascaded to us if there will an accessory from the Osmo Pocket that can be used with our new product. We would recommend paying attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for understanding.

Almost 3 months still nothing? We need to soon purchase 10 of these action cams with external mics for a few specific projects. Looks like we need to look for other alternatives as this is taking too long. Just like the DJI GO 4 app still with bugs but hasn't been rectified.

DJI could just simply remove this 3rd party usb mic restriction via firmware update and make osmo action great again.
2019-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules