Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The truth about the CYNOVA adapter for the DJI Osmo Action
45502 179 2019-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 10-23 08:36
thanks so the actual Chip mic  vs the condensor mic is  better or worse. Bogota vs Yugo. its an Action camera trying t oimmitate a DSLR  LMEAO!

Fishy.

It doesn’t matter what mic or camera you are using, it could be an actioncam with inbuilt mics or external mics, it could be a DSLR with the same or it could be a pro recording setup doing the same.

The difference is the quality of the mics and the hardware.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-23
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

@daved_Harry stay tuned you be amazed what just happened.
2019-10-24
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

well not much Action for the   these adapters, here
2019-12-2
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

Appears the poor audio quality is now resolved with today’s FW update, so go dig those Cynova’s out of the junk bin.
2019-12-4
Use props
Sarmafanboy
lvl.1

Croatia

Matman Posted at 12-4 08:08
Appears the poor audio quality is now resolved with today’s FW update, so go dig those Cynova’s out of the junk bin.

Matman

thanks for the heads up! If you, by any chance, use the adapter and have tested it after today's update, don't hesitate to share the results with us
2019-12-4
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

I did, and yes, the audio levels are much improved, i’d love to see someone, cough @David_Harry, do a shootout between a variety of mics, as I only have the Eutidge UT-001.

Audio levels are much higher now (def. acceptable), however what’s interesting is that when using a mic, it disables wind noise reduction.

Otherwise, would be nice to see a gain adjustment, but I'm nit picking (I prob wouldn't use it anyway) so, I’m happy now. And even the lag is almost zero, so still my #1 action cam. Glad I held out hope for a firmware fix (like I had a choice).
Thanks DJI and thanks to David for this thread.

2019-12-4
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Well still does not add Stereo to a mono camera Lol  I got my mic and   also a new adapter   expressed  over. I bet  the improvements were offered because this Moth gopro is going to kick ass on the media module. that I really care or not about.  Action camera with sound guess is an added Boner!  Doray will get credit Lol  but thank DJI for ging me two cents to spend
2019-12-4
Use props
blacksheepbiker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 590820 ft
New Zealand

Unfortunately for those of us with motorcycle helmets that we want to record video with the osmo and audio from a mic inside the helmet,, the Cynova is still useless even after this FW update. The gain is far far too hot still, when you're not moving it sounds amazing but even 20 kph and my voice clips horribly, try it at 120 kph and it's distorted to hell and back. Please please DJI, fix the auto gain!
2019-12-6
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Matman Posted at 12-4 14:35
I did, and yes, the audio levels are much improved, i’d love to see someone, cough @David_Harry, do a shootout between a variety of mics, as I only have the Eutidge UT-001.

Audio levels are much higher now (def. acceptable), however what’s interesting is that when using a mic, it disables wind noise reduction.

Hi Matt.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll try this out soon, I'm just finishing off some stuff about self build mics for the Pocket which will also work with the Action.

I've got a few mics to demonstrate with the Action. Do you think I should do individual videos on a per mic basis and try and keep them short?  I should hopefully have my hands on the new RODE VideoMic NTG soon, that'll be a great mic to test with the Action.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-12-6
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

David_Harry Posted at 12-6 03:44
Hi Matt.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks David, I’d like to see your favorite (1 or 2) mics compared, emphasis on moving (w/wind noise from a car or bike or even a simple fan) so we can see if the "audio clipping/gain too high/hot" issues exist across multiple mics.

I agree with @blacksheepbiker that this thing has always been useless (adapter) while motovlogging so that’s the biggest issue now that we have the adapter working w/ new firmware.

Thanks for considering!
2019-12-6
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

so the best mic on the market  is what a rode wireless go under the hood.  or wired .  I made this example back in the early 90's wit ha GE boom mic   a $20.00 mic, yes very expensive when the Dollar meant something back then, today the Dollar is like 10 Cents so anyone can spend $200.00  in a heart beat or even $240.00 for better sound.  should I go place my camera  on th floor and run the Mic on the rc car. and let the wind hit it.   but you won't hear me... Nuff said

enjoy a vid of the sounds of the cynovA

2019-12-6
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Matman Posted at 12-6 03:58
Thanks David, I’d like to see your favorite (1 or 2) mics compared, emphasis on moving (w/wind noise from a car or bike or even a simple fan) so we can see if the "audio clipping/gain too high/hot" issues exist across multiple mics.

I agree with @blacksheepbiker that this thing has always been useless (adapter) while motovlogging so that’s the biggest issue now that we have the adapter working w/ new firmware.

Hi Matt.

I've recorded a take with the present firmware so I've got something as a direct comparison for after I've updated the firmware.

To have the best chance of hearing differences it's always best to use a high quality microphone, so I've used a Sennheiser ME64. I'll try and do the full test in the next few days, in the mean time here's the take on the present firmware that I'll be using in the full test.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-12-6
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

David_Harry Posted at 12-6 09:25
Hi Matt.

I've recorded a take with the present firmware so I've got something as a direct comparison for after I've updated the firmware.

Thanks for illustrating this so well, I can’t wait to see the post FW comparo!

2019-12-6
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Didi not you given back that  CYNOVA and a refund. I think so.  DH
2019-12-6
Use props
djiuser_x7nigeGbGWyC
lvl.1
United States

blacksheepbiker Posted at 12-6 00:34
Unfortunately for those of us with motorcycle helmets that we want to record video with the osmo and audio from a mic inside the helmet,, the Cynova is still useless even after this FW update. The gain is far far too hot still, when you're not moving it sounds amazing but even 20 kph and my voice clips horribly, try it at 120 kph and it's distorted to hell and back. Please please DJI, fix the auto gain!

Yeah unfortunately it's still clipping too much, I hoped they'd fix it but we'll have to wait a little more, I guess!
2019-12-6
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

Welp, that settles that! Not only is the new adapter + FW still clipping, it appears TO BE WORSE!

I’m am now unable to get any usable audio in a moving vehicle (interior with the moonroof open or exterior when holding it outside of the vehicle - could the Eutidige 001 non directional mic be to blame?). May have to do with the new firmware’s tendency to turn off wind noise reduction when the adapter is plugged in.

So two steps forward, three steps back, for DJI and us Osmo Action beta testers alike!

Back to onboard mic for moto vlogging and external CYNOVA for non motorized (low wind - haha) action shots only.

2019-12-8
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matman Posted at 2019-12-8 08:48
Welp, that settles that! Not only is the new adapter + FW still clipping, it appears TO BE WORSE!

I’m am now unable to get any usable audio in a moving vehicle (interior with the moonroof open or exterior when holding it outside of the vehicle - could the Eutidige 001 non directional mic be to blame?). May have to do with the new firmware’s tendency to turn off wind noise reduction when the adapter is plugged in.

Put a small deadcat on it?  Not sure why you would want wind reduction for an external mic?  
2020-1-7
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

here is a 10 sec plus  sample

2020-1-7
Use props
LexJ
lvl.1
United States

David, thanks for your video. I found this post after using an audio splitter to attempt to record with two microphones. When I exported the audio, I had two identical tracks, and when I tried to record with only the right channel microphone, I go no audio. It seems that the cynova audio adapter sends the left channel from the  input to both the left and right channel in the camera. Is this what you found also?
2020-6-3
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

LexJ Posted at 6-3 14:09
David, thanks for your video. I found this post after using an audio splitter to attempt to record with two microphones. When I exported the audio, I had two identical tracks, and when I tried to record with only the right channel microphone, I go no audio. It seems that the cynova audio adapter sends the left channel from the  input to both the left and right channel in the camera. Is this what you found also?

Hi.

Yes, that’s essentially what I found, one input channel gets split across both audio tracks and the other one doesn’t get used.

I say essentially, as the second input does indeed generate cross talk, which can lead to certain phase issues that in certain instances can give the impression of spatial information as if the system has recorded a stereo source, although it hasn’t.

There are other things going on as well with the internal routing and processing of the audio but the only way any of us would ever know for sure what’s going on is if DJI ever gave an explanation. Beyond my video clearly proving that the system does not use two discreet inputs/channels and is therefore not capable of stereo in its present configuration, anything else about the audio system is pure guess work.

Cheers,
Dave.
2020-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules