1647 2 2019-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Airking Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3228383 ft
Argentina

Hi
I have been in a conversation (in a FB DJI group) regarding the Multilink and I found intersting posting the whole conversation here because someone can miss something:

NY- So  tested out the multilink on set over the weekend. We left one  controller with VTR for video feed and it works. But it does not work  well and not how you would of expected it. Controller antennas need to  aim at inspire 2 to get clean video.
The controller gets video  feed from the aircraft not master controller, some people have already  posted that information already.
DJI should have made video feed from master with multilink. Disappointed.....

AP-We are totally with you.
Our  sits in the Pelican case all the time. $200 plus shipping wasted. And  we bought it after some great review. Nobody adviced about this  "detail". Useless for us.

JC- It  seems this is how a bunch of their newer slave stuff may operate... the  210v2 slave also gets the feed from the aircraft now, not from the  master... I wonder if this is how all future setups will communicate

OS- wait.... so..... what does the multi link actually do then?

MA-We've  found it to be fine, just don't expect it to be a perfect picture at  150 meters as they say. They are a fix for user who have a need to walk  away from their camop when operating which for us works great. Streaming  to a DP's monitor works ok too, just don't go much beyond 50-60 meters  with clear line of sight.
Btw NY if you was testing with the controller stuck in all that metal frame and wires, it won't help much...

NY- No. It's only  resting there. VTR guy had to hold in his hand and try to make sure it  aims at the aircraft. Also it's no good for a camera op either, now  camera op has to move and make sure he is line of sight at all times  while capturing epic shots.. without multilink my op did not have to think about moving los with the craft.
It's not a good product. They should have made both video and radio signals transmit to and from MASTER.

MA- Well that's a weakness in the original design, but, we have found it to be fine, not perfect but at least we can now move apart.

AP-  I´m sorry, but that´s an answer to keep a child content. If the  weakness was master-slave connection (control AND video), why DJI added  another weakness that is drone-slave signal? It does not make any sense.  At all. We bought the Multilink after some fantastic reviews but nobody  noticed us this point. As NY says, now camera op. must move and make sure he keeps LOS. Simply silly.

MA- No it was an observation of what we have found. Let me explain.

Right  front the I1 the weakness in the design was having the master  controller send the video feed to the second remote. Which meant, the  ONLY way you can have a stable video feed on the second  remote is to actually FACE each other as the antennas worked better  that way due to their positioning within each controller.

DJI  after years of using the same controller layout in both the LB1  (Inspire 1, M600, the standalone units. And then subsequently the LB2.5  in the I2 and M2* series) They finally decided to at least address the  problem with Multilink. The original problem was everyone having issues  with video feed to the camops controller if not stood within a few  meters of each other. And preferably at least 3 or 4 meters away, and  facing each other. This made for a rather impracticable function.

DJI  now (belatedly) produces something which now means the 'pilot' and the  camop can at least move away from each other without the camp having  dropouts at a reasonable distance. The amount of times I have been on a  job and have to ask the camop to walk with me as I'm having to  reposition to keep the drone LOS isn't particularly funny, especially  when the camop is trying to concentrate on the shot while giving me  instructions.

So, not sure if a child would understand half of that, or maybe you haven't?

AP- Really sounds sayed ironically.
"DJI now (belatedly) produces something which now means the 'pilot' and the camop can at least move away from each other without the camp having dropouts at a reasonable distance"
Because  this is a fallacy. Cam op. can loose totally the video signal even when  Multilink is receiving "excellent" if he gets behind any obstacle  during the drone path as explained for those who haven´t already tested  de Mutlilink.
The only thing that DJI had to do is make  master-slave connection more robust. Control and video. They fixed one  and broke the other. As you said:
"The amount of times I  have been on a job and have to ask the camop to walk with me as I'm  having to reposition to keep the drone LOS isn't particularly funny,  especially when the camop is trying to concentrate on the shot while  giving me instructions"
The simplest  solution had been add external, with more gain antennas (may be  removable, with the option of mounting in different places?). Multilink  was an overkill, bad idea.

MA- But you are talking of a  design from 2014 at least. Things have moved on and DJI in 2013 when  they were developing this was a way way way smaller company than they  are now. Surely your electronics degree understands this?

AP- Hey MA, I feel this is evolving in a personal discussion that is leaving us to nowhere. The point is:
Multilink  did no fix what was not working. And I feel for your comments that you  try to defend this DJI product  when there is for sure a failure in the desing and legitimal user feedbacks like NY and me.
For us was a waste of money and the review that lead us to buy it was not mentioning this point.
That´s all and it´s something that every potential Multilink buyer should know. If not is just hiding key information.
DJI did not find a way to enhance Master-Slave connection even with Multilink.

2019-5-16
Use props
PH3KS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39537 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I will confirm this next week after some more testing on set.

Was very happy with how the Multilink was working until I updated the Go app on the Crystalsky to 4.3.16 Lost connection and control way sooner then previous. Switching to or from 2.4 > 5.8ghz made it worse.
Did return to 4.3.4 but did not test this yet.

Will keep you posted.
2019-5-17
Use props
Airking Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3228383 ft
Argentina

PH3KS Posted at 5-17 00:48
I will confirm this next week after some more testing on set.

Was very happy with how the Multilink was working until I updated the Go app on the Crystalsky to 4.3.16 Lost connection and control way sooner then previous. Switching to or from 2.4 > 5.8ghz made it worse.

"The amount of times I  have been on a job and have to ask the camop to walk with me as I'm  having to reposition to keep the drone LOS isn't particularly funny,  especially when the camop is trying to concentrate on the shot while  giving me instructions"

If you are happy with it you are not in this situation
We are selling ours
Best regards!
2019-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules