Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Action vs. Osmo Pocket
5913 32 2019-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

By DJI Support

Like Osmo Pocket, the all-new Osmo Action is the perfect companion for your daily adventures, setting you free to capture every thrilling moment.

Since both Osmo devices are portable, high-performance cameras packed with intelligent features, it may not be easy to decide which device is the perfect fit for you. Every individual has a different lifestyle and encounters unique situations from day to day. To make the right choice, knowing the difference between these two cameras is essential. Additionally, it is also helpful to know what kind of preferences you have when shooting. This article will help you make your decision.

Stabilization
While Osmo Pocket uses a mechanical 3-axis gimbal as its camera stabilization system, the brand-new Osmo Action provides shake-free footage thanks to DJI’s RockSteady, an advanced technology that features a combination of Electronic Image System (EIS) and complex algorithms. RockSteady provides incredibly stabilized footage, even in the most dynamic shots.

Camera Performance
Both Osmo Pocket and Osmo Action house high-performance cameras with 1/2.3-inch sensors that can shoot 12-megapixel images and 4K videos at 60fps. The ISO range of both cameras is 100-3200, whether you’re capturing photos or video.

Osmo Action steps up the game with its ability to shoot HDR videos. The enhanced dynamic range in the footage delivers natural transitions between light and dark areas, capturing rich details that are often lost in environments with complex lighting.

Creative Shooting Modes

Timelapse
Osmo Action supports Timelapse, perfect for condensing time and movement for any adventure. Select the interval and duration, and let the device work its magic. Convenient and easy to set up, Timelapse is a fantastic option to capture your moments in an unbelievable way.

Motionlapse
In addition to Timelapse, Osmo Pocket features Motionlapse, allowing you to shoot incredibly cinematic videos without the need for post-editing. Just place it on a flat surface and select Motionlapse. After that, set the path of the gimbal movement, interval, and duration. Osmo Pocket completes the recording and processing automatically.

Slow Motion
Slow motion is fantastic for making scenes more dramatic and capturing details otherwise lost to speed. Osmo Pocket’s 4x slow motion captures the nuances of quick movements that cannot be appreciated at a normal speed. As the newly released Osmo is an action camera, it was engineered to capture extremely dynamic scenes. For a more powerful capture of your most intense moments, 8x slow motion comes with 1080p resolution and 240fps frame rate.

Long Exposure Images
For taking long exposure shots, Osmo Pocket’s shutter speed can be set to eight seconds. Osmo Action provides the ability to slow down the shutter speed up to 120 seconds, perfect for capturing a night sky full of stars.

ActiveTrack vs. FOV 145°
In the past, vloggers needed to multitask to focus on keeping themselves in the frame while talking and creating content. Especially for beginners, getting the perfect take was often a time-consuming process. Osmo Pocket’s ActiveTrack and FaceTrack are the perfect features to simplify this process. In ActiveTrack mode, Osmo Pocket’s camera follows the selected object with smooth movements thanks to its 3-axis gimbal. When using Selfie mode, Osmo Pocket detects a human face within the frame and continually tracks it. In this way, vloggers are able to focus more on their content than checking the camera’s live feed.

If you use Osmo Action, you will not have to worry about moving out of frame while recording since its wide-angle lens has a FOV of 145°.

Some users might have concerns about the fish-eye effect when recording with a wide-angle camera lens. However, there’s no need to worry. Osmo Action includes a Dewarp function that eliminates distortion when shooting close-ups.

SnapShot
If the few seconds it takes to activate Osmo Pocket are still not fast enough for you, Osmo Action’s SnapShot feature might pique your interest. Press the shutter button to power on and start recording in under 2 seconds.'

Camera Control and Display

Osmo Pocket
Osmo Pocket features a 1.08-inch touchscreen that allows you to change a variety of settings. Switch between shooting modes, playback footage, and more. Osmo Pocket is equipped with a shutter/record button and a power/function button.

Power Button
The power button is used to power the camera on and off. In camera view, press this button for quick access to essential functions such as switching between photo and video mode, and re-centering and flipping the camera. Check out this short clip to learn how to execute these functions.
While adjusting settings, press the power button to go back to the previous window.

DJI Mimo App
For more advanced control, you can connect Osmo Pocket to your smartphone, either through its universal adapter or with the Wireless Module. This allows you to use DJI Mimo to control the camera, adjust parameters, change settings, and access advanced capture features.

Osmo Action

Dual Screens:
- One 2.25-inch touchscreen at the back for camera view, setting adjustments, shooting modes, and playback.
- Another 1.4-inch front screen shows a live camera view, perfect for capturing selfies.
On top of the action camera, you will find the power button and the shutter button. There is also the multifunctional QS button, which is located on the side of the device.

QS Button
In camera view, press the QS button to quickly switch between the most frequently used modes. Tap the icon at the upper right corner to select modes and add them to the QS interface. In Settings or Playback, press the QS button to return to camera view. Press and hold the QS button to switch between the two screens.

Voice Control
Shoot hands-free with Osmo Action’s Voice Control function. This handy feature allows you to execute five essential functions just by saying the commands out loud.

DJI Mimo App
Like Osmo Pocket, Osmo Action is also supported by the DJI Mimo app. You can connect Osmo Action with mobile devices wirelessly through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth without any added accessories.

Operation Performance
Let’s take a look at the specs of both devices.

Durability
Osmo Pocket is by no means a fragile device. However, when it comes to durability, Osmo Action definitely has the upper hand. The lens and back touchscreen are covered in a protective, anti-fingerprint coating that repels oil, water, dirt, and other small particles.

Additionally, it can be used at depths of up to 11m underwater without added accessories.

Price
Another important factor for most consumers is how much each device costs. Both Osmo Pocket and Osmo Action can be purchased for USD $349.

Conclusion: Which Osmo is better for you?
After an in-depth comparison, it’s time to choose the Osmo camera best suited for your needs. Both Osmo cameras are portable devices that provide excellent image quality, but if you are an adrenaline junkie and your life is a bit more adventurous, Osmo Action would be the device for you. Thanks to a reliable waterproof design, it can handle more rugged conditions. Able to shoot in low temperatures down to -10°C, Osmo Action is the perfect companion for outdoor enthusiasts, travelers, and athletes.

Osmo Pocket is designed for creators who want to capture their daily life with smooth, cinematic footage using a 3-axis gimbal. Osmo Pocket also features easy-to-use modes such as Timelapse and Motionlapse, allowing you to create cinematic videos, perfect for creative videographers, influencers, and vloggers.

Rest assured that the images and footage you capture will be high quality, no matter which Osmo camera you decide to go with. Because life is big, you need a convenient, yet powerful camera to unleash your other side.

The content origins from DJI BUYINGGUIDES
2019-5-17
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a thorough comparison! Thank you
2019-5-17
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

I want them both!
2019-5-17
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

So am I
2019-5-17
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

dronespilot Posted at 5-17 01:26

You are welcome!
2019-5-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the info!
2019-5-17
Use props
Habari
lvl.1
Spain

When will the Osmo Pocket underwater case be released?  I have been waiting since it was first released and don't want to sell it!
2019-5-17
Use props
ihachem
lvl.2
United States

Habari Posted at 5-17 06:24
When will the Osmo Pocket underwater case be released?  I have been waiting since it was first released and don't want to sell it!

Same here. I think they postponed the release of the housing because there were releasing the Osmo Active.
2019-5-17
Use props
Toedles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Very informative review, still left a little undecided though......
2019-5-17
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I wanted the osmo pocket, finally I ordered the action
2019-5-17
Use props
Chickencrazy188
lvl.1

United States

It looks really cool and the stabilization and size makes it versitile
2019-5-17
Use props
Chickencrazy188
lvl.1

United States

Useful for if you need to decide!
2019-5-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

These two cameras address quite different use cases.  They produce very different styles of content.  Which you choose depends on your own use case and the style you prefer.

Obviously, the Action model doesn't help you keep the camera horizon level nor does it do anything for tilt.    You can't angle the display so if you want to use it for a very low shot, you've got to lie down, or use the app, or hope you've got it pointing in the required directon.   You can't track a moving object, nor can you lock onto an object as you go around it, or as you raise and lower the camera.  I think I am right in saying that when taking photos with the Action, there's no stabilisation at all.  You can't connect an external mic (at present).  There's no face tracking when doing selfies.  The Action can't be used very well for the kind of crane shots (on a selfie stick or long pole) that the Pocket is very good for.  The Pocket is lighter, has a longer lasting battery, and charges quicker - according to the table posted by DJI.  The Pocket's gimbal keeps providing steady images regardless of how much light there is - the Action has reduced stabilisation in low light.  The list goes on.

But on the other side of the coin, you can attach the Action to something that vibrates, like the handlebars on your bike, and you'll get stable footage.  With the Pocket, you'll get a mess.  The Pocket has to be treated with respect, particularly the relatively delicate gimble head.  The Action is made for rough handling, and it's waterproof to 11 metres.  The Action has more slow motion options.  Its rear screen is larger (maybe the front one too).  The Action has HDR video - but without stabilisation, which is a pity.  Batteries are replaceable which helps outweigh the shorter battery life.

Obviously I've not identified all the differences, but that's some that immediately spring to mind.  I think the DJI summary above rather undervalues the gimbal, which isn't simply a form of stabilisation, it's a whole thing in itself.
2019-5-18
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nice comparison
2019-5-18
Use props
SchwarzM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59423 ft
Romania

Giving that they have almost the same functions, their purposes are different. Osmo is more vlogging like rather than Action that is a more sportish, travel camera.
2019-5-18
Use props
OneManWolfPack
First Officer
Flight distance : 8929180 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Awesome summary! Thanks for sharing, Panda!
2019-5-18
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why doesn’t HDR mode and slow motion have Rocksteady?? My OA come on Tuesday and I have the pocket both will be valuable tools to have.
2019-5-19
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

want both!!!!!!!
2019-5-19
Use props
Hartyaj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49478 ft

Australia

Thanks Panda, for making it really hard to pick but your information was brilliant. I think I may go with the Pocket.
2019-5-19
Use props
fans32c3ab54
lvl.2
Flight distance : 594898 ft
United States

I own the Osmo Pocket and am relatively satisfied with it.  I too would like to see the underwater enclosure released as it was one of my reasons for getting it.
2019-5-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great comparison
2019-5-20
Use props
LeonJames
New

India

I have been wanting to get a camera drone for a while but am overwhelmed by the wide arrange of prices and models. I’m looking for a drone that shoots pretty good footage but more just to get my feet wet. I haven’t flown and want something that isn’t overly complicated or difficult. My ideal price would be around $300 but I have some wiggle room. Any drone recommendations would be a great help.

2019-5-20
Use props
mopa5000
New

Algeria

LeonJames Posted at 5-20 21:56
I have been wanting to get a camera drone for a while but am overwhelmed by the wide arrange of prices and models. I’m looking for a drone that shoots pretty good footage but more just to get my feet wet. I haven’t flown and want something that isn’t overly complicated or difficult. My ideal price would be around $300 but I have some wiggle room. Any drone recommendations would be a great help.

2019-5-21
Use props
MAILITY
New

Algeria

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-18 02:33
These two cameras address quite different use cases.  They produce very different styles of content.  Which you choose depends on your own use case and the style you prefer.

Obviously, the Action model doesn't help you keep the camera horizon level nor does it do anything for tilt.    You can't angle the display so if you want to use it for a very low shot, you've got to lie down, or use the app, or hope you've got it pointing in the required directon.   You can't track a moving object, nor can you lock onto an object as you go around it, or as you raise and lower the camera.  I think I am right in saying that when taking photos with the Action, there's no stabilisation at all.  You can't connect an external mic (at present).  There's no face tracking when doing selfies.  The Action can't be used very well for the kind of crane shots (on a selfie stick or long pole) that the Pocket is very good for.  The Pocket is lighter, has a longer lasting battery, and charges quicker - according to the table posted by DJI.  The Pocket's gimbal keeps providing steady images regardless of how much light there is - the Action has reduced stabilisation in low light.  The list goes on.

high-performance cameras packed with intelligent features, it may not be easy to decide which device is the perfect fit for you. Every individual has a different lifestyle and encounters unique situations from day to day. To make the right choice, knowing the difference between these two cameras is essential. Additionally, it is also helpful to know what kind of preferences you have when shooting. This article will help you make your decision.
2019-5-21
Use props
Dotsey
lvl.1
United States

I've been considering both of these, and while this post was informative I still can't quite make up my mind. I'm kind of leaning towards the Action because of the replaceable battery (a real shortcoming of the Pocket, in my opinion) and the stabilization is outstanding, but I really like the timelapse and tracking features on the pocket.

I'd take either on vacation, but would probably use it more to take videos of the kids. I've got a nine-year-old, twin one-year-olds, and a brand new one. I think the Pocket would be good for taking videos of them but then I take the twin boys on a wagon ride almost every day and I've been thinking it would be fun to set up a camera to watch them, which would definitely be easier with the Action.

Choices- ugh!
2019-5-21
Use props
GoPro King
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578799 ft
Australia

The only thing the Osmo Action has got going for it is the removable battery. The Pocket is by far superior quality..............but.........that damn battery.....it can't be changed. dji pulled out the vaseline on that move
2019-5-22
Use props
MAILITY
New

Algeria

MAILITY Posted at 5-21 15:55
high-performance cameras packed with intelligent  features, it may  not be easy to decide which device is the perfect fit for you. Every individual has a different lifestyle and encounters unique situations from day to day. To make the right choice, knowing the difference between these two cameras is essential. Additionally, it is also helpful to know what kind of preferences you have when shooting. This article will help you make your decision.

the Action model doesn't help you keep the UC Browser  camera horizon FileZilla  level nor does it do anything for tilt. Rufus    You can't angle the display so if you want to use it for a very low shot, you've got to lie down, or use the app, or hope you've got it pointing in the required directon.   You can't track a moving object, nor can you lock onto an object as you go around it, or as you raise and lower the camera.  I think I am right in saying that when taking photos with the Action, there's no stabilisation at all.  You can't connect an external mic (at present).  There's no face tracking when doing selfies.  The Action can't be used very well for the kind of crane shots (on a selfie stick or long pole) that the Pocket is very good for.  The Pocket is lighter, has a longer lasting battery, and charges quicker - according to the table posted by DJI.
2019-5-22
Use props
o_laparoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 753340 ft
Portugal

Very interesting article comparing the two new Osmo cameras.
2019-5-23
Use props
HAYHOT
lvl.3
Vietnam

I have both OSMO POCKET  AND OSMO ACTION.
Bad thing of OP is footage, I have to walk like ninja.
Good thing is motion lapse and active track....
But i like OSMO ACTION is normal walk, wide angle, and rock steady.
In my experience, OP is easy to die, dust or water,.... Osmo action is long life
People in my country is very excited when see my OP,
2019-5-23
Use props
HAYHOT
lvl.3
Vietnam

MAILITY Posted at 5-22 10:06
the Action model doesn't help you keep the UC Browser  camera horizon FileZilla  level nor does it do anything for tilt. Rufus    You can't angle the display so if you want to use it for a very low shot, you've got to lie down, or use the app, or hope you've got it pointing in the required directon.   You can't track a moving object, nor can you lock onto an object as you go around it, or as you raise and lower the camera.  I think I am right in saying that when taking photos with the Action, there's no stabilisation at all.  You can't connect an external mic (at present).  There's no face tracking when doing selfies.  The Action can't be used very well for the kind of crane shots (on a selfie stick or long pole) that the Pocket is very good for.  The Pocket is lighter, has a longer lasting battery, and charges quicker - according to the table posted by DJI.

You need a long long stick to selfie, if not, narrow angle, just see the face
2019-5-23
Use props
Chickencrazy188
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks for sharing!
2019-5-25
Use props
junkyards
New

Mexico

If Mexico prices weren't so high I would buy an Osmo Action today, but here they want over USD $500 for one, ridiculous!
2019-5-27
Use props
BEST THING EVER
New

India

Does osmo action have hyperlapse?
2019-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules