Drone footage of a car accident. Too morbid or it's news, film it?!
1798 26 2019-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone seen Nightcrawler? Is it too skeezy to film a car accident? I don't want to profit from it, just thought I should get some shots of it in case they wanted to use it on the news or something. I guess two people were transported to the hospital but no one was seriously injured.
https://www.kimt.com/content/new ... A2EJI86dPiteoSZnt30

UPDATE: I removed this video because I was going off Minnesota Drone Law which states it is illegal to INTERFERE with emergency services..."§ 1370. Interference with wildfire suppression, law enforcement, or emergency response effort by operation of unmanned aircraft"
but someone was kind enough to point out that it does not hold to FAA guidelines which states...https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/ #10
"Never fly near emergencies such as any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts."
So video removed and lesson learned. Luckily on the faa.gov page right below #10 it states...
"Recreational flyers should know that if they intentionally violate any of these safety requirements... they could be liable for criminal and/or civil penalties."
Since I did not INTENTIONALLY violate this safety requirement and removed the video hopefully no action will be taken.

VIDEO REMOVED BY USER

DJI_0802 SMALL.jpg
2019-5-17
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

And this is why flying drones gets more and more restricted!
In NY state it's illegal to fly over emergency personnel while working, your state might have the same regulations. These are not part of the FAA guidelines FYI
2019-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this horrific video and photos you have captured. Let us all stay safe always. Thank you.
2019-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m not so sure, I know if it was a member of my family I wouldn’t want to see it on the news, it would be illegal here to put this on the news without proper permission, but I expect it’s different over there, if it’s accepted well it’s acceptable.
2019-5-17
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 16:10
I’m not so sure, I know if it was a member of my family I wouldn’t want to see it on the news, it would be illegal here to put this on the news without proper permission, but I expect it’s different over there, if it’s accepted well it’s acceptable.

Same here in Iceland, it's not legal to fly like this.
What if they had to use helicopter?
2019-5-17
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

G_Sig Posted at 5-17 16:31
Same here in Iceland, it's not legal to fly like this.
What if they had to use helicopter?

Airlift would not have been used since this accident was literally 1 mile from the hospital. And I would have heard and seen them take off from the top of the hospital.
2019-5-17
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Strobing_NYC Posted at 5-17 15:53
And this is why flying drones gets more and more restricted!
In NY state it's illegal to fly over emergency personnel while working, your state might have the same regulations. These are not part of the FAA guidelines FYI

I'm going to respectfully disagree that THIS is why drones are being more restricted. Minnesota only finds it illegal if I interfere with emergency services. I definitely didn't interfere with them. And actually, law enforcement can review this footage and see that the red vehicle in the opposite lane was causing traffic to slow down and in the future a safer rescue environment could be achieved by making sure no one parks in the flow of traffic.
2019-5-17
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 16:10
I’m not so sure, I know if it was a member of my family I wouldn’t want to see it on the news, it would be illegal here to put this on the news without proper permission, but I expect it’s different over there, if it’s accepted well it’s acceptable.

no serious injuries from this accident.
2019-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bing Err Posted at 5-17 16:34
Airlift would not have been used since this accident was literally 1 mile from the hospital. And I would have heard and seen them take off from the top of the hospital.

With drones in the air would helicopter still take off , there would be an obvious risk to pilot and crew, I’m not saying that would be the case here, but we have seen many helicopters grounded until it was safe to fly .
2019-5-17
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 16:43
With drones in the air would helicopter still take off , there would be an obvious risk to pilot and crew, I’m not saying that would be the case here, but we have seen many helicopters grounded until it was safe to fly .

good point and noted. If it were any other city and I didn't know where the injured would be transported it would probably be smarter NOT to fly over the scene. In this case the ambulance was already loading the patient by the time I got my drone in the air.
2019-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bing Err Posted at 5-17 16:48
good point and noted. If it were any other city and I didn't know where the injured would be transported it would probably be smarter NOT to fly over the scene. In this case the ambulance was already loading the patient by the time I got my drone in the air.

I do understand you obviously know the area, and it’s good no serious danger, also we can learn from this kind of debate .
2019-5-17
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 16:51
I do understand you obviously know the area, and it’s good no serious danger, also we can learn from this kind of debate .

Yeah, I'm sure I flew legally, but I see the general consensus is "It looks bad", so I think I'll delete it after the evening news. Thanks for your opinion.
2019-5-17
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Bing Err Posted at 5-17 16:57
Yeah, I'm sure I flew legally, but I see the general consensus is "It looks bad", so I think I'll delete it after the evening news. Thanks for your opinion.

It's no need to delete it, then people don't see what we are talking about.
It's much better if people learn from it and respect other.
2019-5-17
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

G_Sig Posted at 5-17 17:14
It's no need to delete it, then people don't see what we are talking about.
It's much better if people learn from it and respect other.

True, but I don't want to advertise questionable behavior.
2019-5-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Like to suggest people avoid doing this for one primary reason.  There is possibility something else goes wrong, which results in need of Helicopter Life Flight.  Thinking along lines of emgerncy personel being injured or gawker getting gob smacked.  

Even though there was hospital 1-mile away, there are a few occassions where an injured person is Life Flighted to hospital further away due to specific required care.  Burn victims being one case.
2019-5-17
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Video Removed because even thought FAA.gov doesn't list accidents on this page as types of emergencies to avoid.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreati ... space_restrictions/

It actually does on this page. #10
https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

So there you go. I WAS wrong but didn't know it. Thought MN law was on my side, but National law trumps it (and actually MN law should be updated so it's not different than US law.) Unless the FAA rules are just guidelines and not actually laws. But to be safe the video has been removed.

Thanks as always for the positive discussion.
2019-5-17
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Bing Err Posted at 5-17 17:33
True, but I don't want to advertise questionable behavior.

Good, we should bee careful what we publish.
2019-5-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Legalities aside I think the moral issue is enough. If that was my wife and son being filmed in that way without my permission I would go absolutely ballistic...
2019-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bing Err Posted at 5-17 17:54
Video Removed because even thought FAA.gov doesn't list accidents on this page as types of emergencies to avoid.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreati ... space_restrictions/

I for one thank you for your honesty.

“Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.”
2019-5-18
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 16:43

"but we have seen many helicopters grounded until it was safe to fly"

Here you go again MR. word salad man. Spewing another falsehood. concocting drama in your reply to feed your need to speak about every post on this forum. Kind of like the "thousands" of drones flying at parks. Now do us a favor, and link these 'many" helicopters grounded stories you are referencing. You have no data, I'm sure, just simply no data.

Hallmark's response will go something like......... "Yeah well my cousin's sister's bestest friend from another country in our country last week told me of several times this happened to her uncle's brother." twice.
2019-5-18
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Bill B Posted at 5-18 04:48

Here you go again MR. word salad man. Spewing another falsehood. concocting drama in your reply to feed your need to speak about every post on this forum. Kind of like the "thousands" of drones flying at parks. Now do us a favor, and link these 'many" helicopters grounded stories you are referencing. You have no data, I'm sure, just simply no data.

Google search is sometimes good for beginners.
https://ktvl.com/news/local/firefighting-helicopter-grounded-because-of-drone
Thought this had newer happened.
https://www.visir.is/g/2017171128620/droni-trufladi-thyrluna-vid-bjorgun
You might need Google translate for this link.
2019-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Here you go again MR. word salad man. Spewing another falsehood. concocting drama in your reply to feed your need to speak about every post on this forum. Kind of like the "thousands" of drones flying at parks. Now do us a favor, and link these 'many" helicopters grounded stories you are referencing. You have no data, I'm sure, just simply no data.

We have here Bill B the forum clown, who’s only interest is in trolling, he clearly knows nothing about drones their safety and the need to protect others and those first responders against the threat from drones flying .
He has a habit of opening his rather big mouth and putting his much bigger foot in it, as he has done here.
Below find 6 cases I could have put up 30 , but it will serve for others to see how much of a clown this guy is.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014 ... nes-spotted/5877586

https://ktvl.com/news/local/fire ... ed-because-of-drone

http://www.collectivemag.com/dro ... efighting-aircraft/

https://arstechnica.com/tech-pol ... -across-ca-highway/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b ... efighters-1.3193540

https://www.npr.org/sections/all ... ers?t=1558185575256
2019-5-18
Use props
Celtic warrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Here you go again MR. word salad man. Spewing another falsehood. concocting drama in your reply to feed your need to speak about every post on this forum. Kind of like the "thousands" of drones flying at parks. Now do us a favor, and link these 'many" helicopters grounded stories you are referencing. You have no data, I'm sure, just simply no data.

Maybe an apology.
2019-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hardly likely lol .
2019-5-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A matter of taste I guess.
I personally would avoid these situations.
2019-5-18
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-18 05:45
We have here Bill B the forum clown, who’s only interest is in trolling, he clearly knows nothing about drones their safety and the need to protect others and those first responders against the threat from drones flying .
He has a habit of opening his rather big mouth and putting his much bigger foot in it, as he has done here.
Below find 6 cases I could have put up 30 , but it will serve for others to see how much of a clown this guy is.

Put up the 30, put up 50. I don't care nor do I believe 1/2 the stuff I see and ZERO% of what the news prints. It is all good money and a great story to feed the anti drone movement. But morons like you lap it up. and them spew it out. I like clowns, they are cool. Tell mommy you want one at your 3rd birthday party. I'd be happy to be there for you. I can make flaming cornish game hens fly out my hind end and everything.
2019-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bill B Posted at 5-24 06:23
Put up the 30, put up 50. I don't care nor do I believe 1/2 the stuff I see and ZERO% of what the news prints. It is all good money and a great story to feed the anti drone movement. But morons like you lap it up. and them spew it out. I like clowns, they are cool. Tell mommy you want one at your 3rd birthday party. I'd be happy to be there for you. I can make flaming cornish game hens fly out my hind end and everything.

Your only problem is you don’t fly or can’t fly, your flight record shows about 90 minutes, so at least we don’t know you haven’t a clue what your rabbiting on about . LMAO
2019-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules