Rocksteady latency, does it change with resolution and frame rate.
1137 3 2019-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

Not having received my Action yet, I'm unable to test this and would appreciate an answer from DJI.

With Rocksteady, does the latency change depending upon frame rate and size?

Does Rocksteady always use the same processing buffer size regardless of frame resolution and size?

If always using the same buffer for all frame sizes and rates, this would mean that lower resolutions and frame rates would be having more frames sampled and stored into the buffer space compared to the higher resolutions and rates. That being the case, is Rocksteady better on the lower resolutions and frames rates better as it has more frames to analyse, look forward and behind, to determine a better/smoother average for repositioning/processing the pixels for EIS.

Or does it maybe always use the exact same amount of buffered frames regardless of size and temporal characteristics, presumably the minimum required for an effective EIS at UHD and to also minimise and have a uniformed latency. If this is the case lower resolutions and sizes would be using less buffer, would there be a future option to use more or full buffer to sample and process the lower resolutions and rates, presumably giving better stabilisation as there's more prediction and vector changes to work with. This would obviously increase latency compared to the same resolution and rate using less buffered frames but could be an option if possible or even necessary due to the EIS/Rocksteady algorithm.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I watched a YT video on it and it does seem that latency does change with the Frame rate.

You might find it on YT I can’t track it down now I’ve looked at so many, it was also an older version of beta AO so hoping this would be improved with the  public release of OA.

Hopefully a forum user will come on and give his view .
2019-5-18
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-18 01:59
I watched a YT video on it and it does seem that latency does change with the Frame rate.

You might find it on YT I can’t track it down now I’ve looked at so many, it was also an older version of beta AO so hoping this would be improved with the  public release of OA.

Hi.

Thanks for that.

I wonder if DJI are using the same buffer and processor overhead for all settings and if it's possible to max out the lower resolutions for better EIS.

I do hope they can come up with a direct monitoring function.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think direct monitoring is the way to go, dji are normally pretty good at working hard to working out the niggly bits, it sometimes takes some time, but when I look at OP focus pumping now compared to release it’s chalk and cheese as well as many other improvements.

Dji have a habit of putting out new releases that are still in beta as well as holding back on some features, hopefully that will be the case here and we will have a functioning camera now but a much improved camera 3 months down the line, Patience is the name of the game with them .
2019-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules