1069 5 2019-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bgreenstone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 709495 ft
  • >>>
United States

Last year a bought a GoPro and returned it within a few weeks because it kept overheating.  I couldn't make a video much longer than 15 minutes without it overheating and shutting down.  Even when I mounted it to my car in winter where there was plenty of cool air it would still overheat.  It got so hot you could burn yourself.
So, I'm wondering if the Osmo Action performs better.  They tout this "16% Efficient Cooling" but I have no idea what that means.  16% of what?  Can I record long videos with all the features turned on without this overheating and shutting down?

Thanks,

-Brian
2019-5-18
Use props
fans273d858a
lvl.4

United Kingdom

It's a good question. I guess they are comparing against the GoPro Hero7 black, which tends to get very hot, and doesn't have the vents introduced at the front of the Osmo Action
2019-5-19
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

It's Chinglish !
2019-5-19
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

It has a heat sink at the front which helps to dissipate the hot temp
2019-5-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Brain, the Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. No worries.
2019-5-19
Use props
PaulTH
lvl.1
United States

I just ran a test:  4K, 60fps, Rocksteady on.  Mounted in the cage in a 75 degF room.  It recorded for about 32 minutes before I got an overheat warning that it was going to shut down in a couple of minutes.  
2019-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules