Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi there,

So GoPro Hero 7 allows telemetry data to be recorded / edited / added to videos, as shown on this image.

GoPro Hero 7 Data

GoPro Hero 7 Data

I was wondering if the DJI Action Camera currently offers anything like this, or will do in the future?

Thanks,

Dragonfyr
2019-5-20
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

osmo action does not support this feature currently, we are considering achieving the feature via DJI MIMO.
2019-5-20
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 5-20 23:18
osmo action does not support this feature currently, we are considering achieving the feature via DJI MIMO.

Ok, so in theory if I purchase the DJI Osmo Action, it should have this feature added via the app?

Guessing that can't be said for certain?
2019-5-21
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 5-21 13:13
Ok, so in theory if I purchase the DJI Osmo Action, it should have this feature added via the app?

Guessing that can't be said for certain?

I hate (well, maybe not) to be cynical but if it does not contain a feature that you really want, do not count on it being added.  
2019-5-21
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 5-21 15:59
I hate (well, maybe not) to be cynical but if it does not contain a feature that you really want, do not count on it being added.

A friend just said "Even if the feature was added, would you really want to include it in any vlog / video that you create?"

Which is a valid point.

I've also read a lot of reviews about the flaws in the DJI Mimo software. But to counter that, I use Adobe Premiere. So not really bothered about that too. And on a plus side, DJI are a pretty decent company when it comes to giving the user's what they want.

Pretty sure i'll buy it, just don't want to regret it.

Thanks, to both of you for replying
2019-5-21
Use props
fans273d858a
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Most of the GoPro "telemetry" features are relying on the GoPro having a built-in GPS. The DJI Osmo Action doesn't have GPS, so wouldn't know your speed for instance.
2019-5-21
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 5-21 17:14
A friend just said "Even if the feature was added, would you really want to include it in any vlog / video that you create?"

Which is a valid point.

I can see where it might be useful on occasion but, yes, you'd have this overlay on top of your otherwise visually interesting or pretty video - nah!
2019-5-21
Use props
djiuser_mb9Zf6usr4zw
New

Poland

How about IMU?
2019-12-7
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I think those overlays are interesting, if you was engaged in some form of performance sport.
Otherwise i think its just too much information.
From the dashcam world we often get people ( mainly americans ) wanting to not use the GPS, i assume cuz they speed often or always, but in that case you don't want to film yourself doing that cuz your speed can be fare more accurate ascertained from the video itself as a result of distance ( you can go measure ) in time.
I doubt any court will allow evidence from a consumer devise like that, but the video that's probably what they will go after.

In the case of the OA camera, it simply don't have those sensors build in, so dji will have to tap into the phone sensors to get data like that.

Some times people want something, that might not be of much use anyway, i for instance would like dashcams to have ANPR functionality, so i could enter all plates of undercover cop cars and get a audio warning if one drove behind me.
And that is pretty silly cuz now i work as hard on staying at the speed limit as i did braking that limit when i was young and stupid.
And trust me it is a wonder i have never gotten a single speed ticket, cuz at one time my driving was so bad that after 2-3 miles of driving in a suburban environment i had brake fading when i arrived, and i have also driven my car on 2 wheels ( left wheel's ) as i clipped the curb taking a right turn way too fast, and so was "kicked" up on 2 wheels which i drove on for 5 - 10 Meters like some stunt show driver.
2019-12-8
Use props
fanse17ede2c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10299 ft
Australia

@peiter, heh, in Australia it's illegal and you go to court if you film someone ELSE doing something silly in a car, let alone your own.  Things like radar detectors and the like are also very illegal here, I believe they also run radar detector detectors!  We're now patiently waiting for the change in law where even the Mavic Mini will be regulated now that it is under the magic 250 grams.  I personally met guys pushing the agenda for drone regulation before it came out, professional operators basically writing the law for industry protection - I do respect the professionals, but I don't respect the heavy regulation they have brought on, but I digress...
2019-12-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI does not have the hardware in the camera for GPS that is the sad part, next generation will and hte Price will be added up. you can achieve it if the phone app was involved.
2019-12-8
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

You can film anything in public here, but of course not stick your camera into peoples window or over a fence ASO, the problem come when you share the footage.
I have been sharing idiots in traffic for many years now, and i will keep doing that until a judge tell me not to, in which case i will report every single event to the police,,,, that are so overburdened here they cant even be bothered with a stabbing if no one are killed.
And then after that the press,,,,,,, again, cuz i have already been there once.
Meanwhile i look for ways to cure my country from its sickness, and really it is very sick even if some make Denmark a poster country.

As far as i know no quad copter rules here, aside for not flying over people and LOS flying, and a fairly high weight limit, well over the weight of the micro / mini quad copters, but most Danes will bend any law if it suit them.
Rule making in regard to quad copters used in attack mode, well that's just silly and a insult to any voting public,,,,,, you can not stop a dedicated evil person in this day and age, but you can easy ruin a hobby for many people, and "they" will do that just fine.

Note i dident say drones, that is a substitute word "they" came up with to more easy make the hobby a evil thing, or at least only a thing for the military.

And the evil persons misusing some easy to obtain knowledge or technology , well all we can do is hope we are not the unlucky one, and rest assure at the current rate there will never be a shortage of good and bad humans.
2019-12-8
Use props
AITdrone.com
lvl.1

United States

I believe the most valuable use would be in photogrammetry. If you have a gps module you can track location and create much better 3D images models and maps. It's not going to be ideal in a small unit like an action cam however there are alot if new uses for telemetry data.
2019-12-28
Use props
Interceptor_Alpha
lvl.2
United States

Nope. Sure enough requires location be turned on despite this.
2020-1-22
Use props
Sain Raj
lvl.1

India

DJI-ytao Posted at 2019-5-20 23:18

When it will achieve, make it fast
2020-3-18
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Sain Raj Posted at 3-18 20:47
When it will achieve, make it fast

(nearly) one year later..... ^^
2020-3-18
Use props
Charvel
lvl.4
Poland

Telemetry? Soon it will be a year since the camera was released and you still can't add a stupid date and time to the film.
2020-3-19
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

the question is, does it have the  hardware for it.  think not,  Like MLK we can get telementry off the phones we use, will dji do that?
2020-3-19
Use props
szopcias
New

Poland

Hmmm. I think it shouldn't be a problem to implement this feature to DJI MIMO. As it is in Garmin VIRB - you can add a gpx or any other file with GPS data to configure overlays. The main problem is - where can You get gpx file with data. I getting it from Calimoto - motorcycle app. But instead of using DJI MIMO for editing video - i have to use GARMIN VIRB for adding gauges on screen. /sorry for english /
2021-11-30
Use props
FLPilotShark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721913 ft
  • >>>
United States

So no one can figure out how to add a Telemetry / Speedometer to there Youtube videos yet using a DJI OSMO Action camera?
2022-1-18
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

does theDJI action camera have it, does the pocket have it metadata for gps.
2022-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules