Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Dave.
Thanks for your initial findings. I like the video footage, it shows great promise.
The audio, like the pocket though, is slightly strange. The background noises seem natural enough but your dialogue sounds like it was recorded indoors. There's a strange short reverb attached to it. Possibly due to the positioning of the mics?
2019-5-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-20 22:37
Hi Dave.
Thanks for your initial findings. I like the video footage, it shows great promise.
The audio, like the pocket though, is slightly strange. The background noises seem natural enough but your dialogue sounds like it was recorded indoors. There's a strange short reverb attached to it. Possibly due to the positioning of the mics?

Hi Ray.

Yes, very promising. I have to say that this is my favourite actioncam to date, although I don't do Action stuff. My use of actioncams is for ultra compact shooting setups for interviews, vloggy stuff and wide establishing synced b-cams.

The audio is odd, as you've said. It may be the case that DJI will mess with this as they done with the Pocket, which did sound worse on release. The Action also has certain traits of the Pocket that we've discussed in the past.

To be honest though, I'm not overly disappointed with the audio. For this vloggy type thing it's a sacrifice and compromise of a small system with its internal mics or a larger system with an external one. Obviously at this point the second option isn't doable just yet.

I'm working on a modification for attaching a quarter 20 mount to the Action so i don't have to use its case for mounting my pistol grip. I'm also gonna do an example of the Action with wind protection.

With the quarter 20 and pistol grip and wind protection, this will be the smallest setup for vlogging with the Action.

If I'm feeling brave I'll also see about hacking the lens for manual focus control for doing macro stuff. It'll be interesting to see if Back-Bone do a Ribcage lens mod for the Action.

Here's a couple of videos below with some of my hacks. BTW I hate the term hack but it seems to fly better than mod with the kids.

The first is my butchered Yi 4K+ for macro. This was shot with the full sensor, 4000x3000 I think, then I did a pixel to pixel crop of the centre to 3840x1364UHD which is basically UHD 2.35:1, so no pixel blending or pixel processing/sizing. I believe the Action has the same sensor. View this on YouTube in 4K, you won't believe this is an actioncam with a tiny sensor.

The second is a cold shoe for my old E1, which proved to be unbelievably useful.

With super glue and a hammer you can get a lot done

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-20
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Hi Dave, glad to know you got the OA.

The audio is dull, also the colour is dull .....  totally different from the OP......
2019-5-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 5-20 23:15
Hi Ray.

Yes, very promising. I have to say that this is my favourite actioncam to date, although I don't do Action stuff. My use of actioncams is for ultra compact shooting setups for interviews, vloggy stuff and wide establishing synced b-cams.

Hi Dave.
To be honest, my interest in the action cam is to take over from using the Pocket in the rain and the odd shot involving water. I don't think the Rock Steady feature is taking much away in detail that I would notice and if I did I would shoot at a higher resolution and mix it with lower resolution from the Pocket.
Until I can really edit well in 4K most of my output will be at 1080. Even then, the people interested in using my footage don't want 4K for hosting reasons as they prefer most of what they do online to be in-house.
I will look at the vids later as I'm off out now to work.
2019-5-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-20 23:47
Hi Dave, glad to know you got the OA.

The audio is dull, also the colour is dull .....  totally different from the OP......

Hi.

Yes the Pocket and Action are definitely two different things. In my opinion the Pocket has the better pure image quality but I much prefer the Action for most of the stuff that I'm trying to do.

In short. If you've got time to setup, the Pocket is amazing for great footage but for quick on the fly stuff, the Action is better and awesome.

People were thinking that the Action would effect the Pocket. Having now used both, I can defo say that isn't the case. Both cameras have their own uses and markets, they don't conflict with each other and massively compliment each other as well.

Let's see what happens after a few F/W updated for the Action but I'm completely sold on it and think it's awesome. No doubt I'll find things to bitch and moan about but this is defo a keeper.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-21 00:14
Hi Dave.
To be honest, my interest in the action cam is to take over from using the Pocket in the rain and the odd shot involving water. I don't think the Rock Steady feature is taking much away in detail that I would notice and if I did I would shoot at a higher resolution and mix it with lower resolution from the Pocket.
Until I can really edit well in 4K most of my output will be at 1080. Even then, the people interested in using my footage don't want 4K for hosting reasons as they prefer most of what they do online to be in-house.

Hi Ray.

I totally agree with everything you've said and your reasoning.

Shooting 4K even with pixel manipulation and the inevitable softening isn't really a big deal and if down scaling to 1080 it won't be noticed.

I'll try and get some short shots for you to download and have a proper look at.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It finally came! Great first test.
2019-5-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-21 00:46
It finally came! Great first test.

Hi AJ.

Yes, after all my tantrums, forum rage, bitching and moaning, it's here

Best actioncam I've ever had. More to follow.

Cheers buddy,
Dave.
2019-5-21
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 5-21 00:33
Hi.

Yes the Pocket and Action are definitely two different things. In my opinion the Pocket has the better pure image quality but I much prefer the Action for most of the stuff that I'm trying to do.

Agree, it is the initial FW, could be much better after they polish it. The audio and video dullness is a "change" in the videos you made at the same place.

Seems the lens is kind like a bottle cap, so I think it can be replace with some aftermarket lens when it comes out, or modify it with add on lens to the original lens cap, lots of possibilities.

Wait and see more of your findings, it is always helpful and valuable.
2019-5-21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 5-21 00:53
Hi AJ.

Yes, after all my tantrums, forum rage, bitching and moaning, it's here

Good for you mate - look forward to more reviews - I'm quite tempted to get it
2019-5-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-21 01:44
Good for you mate - look forward to more reviews - I'm quite tempted to get it

Hi AJ.

Although there's probably loads already around the web, I'll try and get some clips for download later or tomorrow. I'm not a DP or cinematographer but the clips maybe useful to gauge resolution, PQ etc.

Cheers,
Dave.  
2019-5-21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 5-21 01:58
Hi AJ.

Although there's probably loads already around the web, I'll try and get some clips for download later or tomorrow. I'm not a DP or cinematographer but the clips maybe useful to gauge resolution, PQ etc.

Thanks Dave
2019-5-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this test video you have created and thank you for your support.
2019-5-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the tests!
2019-5-21
Use props
fans273d858a
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Wow, that's a very late review, a week after every body else. I wonder why you just didn't buy your camera from a shop instead of ordering online. Anyway, if you want to become a top YouTube reviewer of DJI products, you may want to think about being nicer to DJI, so that they send you their products ahead of their release (as they do for the top YouTubers)...
2019-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules