Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crystalsky Monitor is a joke.
7645 39 2019-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fred Zeppplin
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello, I bought the Mavic Pro 2, and because I was buying DJI products, I naturally assumed that the DJI products I was buying would be compatible with each other, Oh how wrong could I be?????

Firstly, I found that the mounting bracket to hold my DJI Crystalsky monitor to the Mavic 2 controller would not fit, as the bracket holes would not line up, really DJI???? You make your own monitor, but yet you fail to make a mounting bracket to attach said monitor to the remote control of your latest drone????? I find that an absolutely stunning oversight.

Secondly, and to my utter amazement, your own brand, and not to mention very expensive monitor, comes to me with a battery, a battery cradle, but NO CHARGER????? Apparently, I was already meant to have a charger from my previously owned Phantom, but as I've never owned a Phantom, I suppose I'm out of luck?????

Thirdly ( and this is the real kick in the balls, I really wasn't expecting this ), I was trying to install mapping software ( DJI GS PRO), and guess what????? YOUR OWN BRAND SUPER DUPER EXPENSIVE MONITOR DOES NOT SUPPPORT YOUR OWN SOFTWARE!!!!! , but.................WAIT FOR IT............................................... DJI GS PRO IS supported in Apple ios, a platform YOUR OWN brand monitor DOESN'T USE!!!!!

What's that you say? Why not just go and install some 3rd party software like DRONE DEPLOY or some such? Well, I would if I could, but it seems to me like I'm not allowed to do that either!!!!! Somebody pass me some ice, my nuts hurt! Honestly, you couldn't make it up!

To say I'm stunned is an understatement.

I know what the response will be, - Oh, but there are too many Android platforms, and we are working on it - Well, here's an idea, why not try solving the issue on your own product first and go from there eh? All I see on the these forums is the same response, and quite frankly it's NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

As for the drone itself, I can't fault it, it really is an amazing piece of kit, which makes the issues with the Crystalsky both baffling and infuriating in equal measure. As a world leader in Drone manufacture and technology you have a responsibility to ensure that the accessories you produce are of the same high standard as the drones themselves, and in the case of the Crystalsky monitor, you have not only failed yourselves, but also your customers.

You expect us to buy into the whole  DJI Drone brand, and be loyal to that brand, but loyalty comes at a  price. That price is an expectation to deliver a quality product that  doesn't just
satisfy, but exceeds expectation, and whilst the Crystalsky is a very well made item, it falls well short of expectations.

If I'd have known these issues in the beginning I would NEVER have bought the Crystalsky monitor, and I am sure many others feel the same, but hey DJI have just made another quick £500+ from another sucker, so what do they care?????

Go on DJI, tell me you're WORKING ON IT, I dare ya!

2019-5-21
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

I feel your pain fella, I'm waiting for the typical Autobot Admin response. However, The simple truth is they don't care.
2019-5-21
Use props
Crash&Burn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116043 ft
  • >>>
United States

Silence......tic..toc..tic..toc
2019-5-22
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

They will answer you shortly, that the case will be forwarded to engineers for evaluation and the response as soon the development team will come out with something. And is the end of the story since nobody will answer
2019-5-23
Use props
Dronie2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

Ah! And don't forget to upload a short video showing the problem... Sorry, but I haven't been able to resist it...
2019-5-29
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RIP
2019-5-29
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

Their lackluster attention to the crystal sky (which I may add is probably bought more by us commercial pilots) is appalling and needs to be brought to the attention of the highest ranking board director... as outlined brilliantly bye the OP... there are a myriad of issues with this...

And I have been reading posts of folks who's cs have crashed, blanked, overheated and smoked... and thought - "think god that hasn't happened to me" well, as we used to say in Jamaica... "I damn well goat mouthed it" - today flying a construction site the screen started flashing violently then blanked out.

No amount of reseting, new battery etc brought it back... need it damn it, now have to go back to dim lit iPad until this comes back from repair...
Now I am thinking I had better have. back up for occasions like this...

Does anyone have both units, the 7.x and the 5.x - I have the 7 Ultra but thinking of getting the 5. as a back up... what opinions say you:?
2019-5-29
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Most expensive display that can just about do the basics I've ever bought. ...
2019-6-15
Use props
Toedles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I must add here that adding a small capacity memory card to the Osmo Action box of ingredients would’ve been nice too. I traveled far to buy one only to get home and find that it’s bloody useless without the memory card. All the way back to the shops again. WTF man, it’d cost DJI cents man.

Was not impressed!
2019-6-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I get your point, although some of your problems are stated on the DJI store.
(like the one from the charger)
Not that I like it though.
2019-6-16
Use props
rfAndy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 396365 ft
United States

I just experienced a Crystalsky Ultra failure.  Died after 20 minutes.  This is a slave monitor that is rarely used.  So, after spending $700 for this monitor - that by now, of course, is out of warranty - it has died a well-known death that everyone in the industry knows is an identified common problem with this monitor.  Unfortunately, like others have stated, DJI has failed to acknowledge or make good on what is clearly a design and/or manufacturing defect because...culturally, DJI would NEVER admit to failing with anything!!  I have not yet opened a repair case.  I know how the scripted conversation will go.  Everybody hears the script.  "I'm so sorry, out of warranty.  Is there anything else we can help with?"  Since I have no other recourse, I will be forced to send back to DJI for repair and will be expecting to hear that it will cost almost what I paid for it to get it repaired.  The right thing for DJI to do - and the honorable thing - would be to acknowledge that these units (mine is a very early one) has defects and repair/replace without charge.  We won't call it warranty. Call it "good will." I will report my repair experience so you can see how it plays out vs. my prediction.
2019-6-20
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Looks like the Super Moderators aren't giving a standard answer... or any ....
2019-6-20
Use props
AdmBenson
lvl.4
France

There is no (sorry there never was) support for the Crystalsky
2019-6-22
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

Guys, I am not defending the Crystal Sky and am not a DJI posterboy. I will share with  you my thoughts on the CS.

I bought the Crystal Sky after doing much investigation. I knew what to expect before I got it, thanks to a large part due to this forum.
I knew about the mounting, the charger and the cooling situation.
The reason I wanted the Crystal Sky is that I was sick of buying no less than three Android tablets to try to see during the day as well as 70 dollar fancy hoods for them.
Whatever I did, it was always a challenge.

I bought the Crystal Sky, have used it many times and so far so good. I have the 5.85 model and I think I heard that had less problems than the 7 inch models?
I can see all the gauges, the FPV camera on the drone and have plenty of battery life.
I also like that I can do some lite editing right on the device and view my videos

If you have not invested in a MavMount, its a great mount as they do a great job with the Crystal Sky. I have 4 birds, A P3S, P3P, a Spark and a Mavic Pro, The Mavmount Crystal Sky Plate can be used with all of them. I highly recommend that for your Crystal Sky.

Like I said, I know there are some challenges with this device. I just wanted to give a little insight on this from my perspective.

Good luck guys!
2019-6-23
Use props
VisionMPP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047536 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

I haven't been on the forums for a while, I also am the owner of the 7.85 cs monitor. still cant figure out why I would randomly get choppy video. tried everything I am aware to fix this, recently go4 have crashed with the error go4 is unresponsive and I get a blank screen. Its very disturbing that people continue to have problems with this monitor that are plagued with issues. people on this forum has begged for DJI to show the crystal sky some love and yet we are not being taken seriously. PLEASE DJI, customer service should be your number one priority, surprise us and please address our issues for godsake.
2019-6-23
Use props
rfAndy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 396365 ft
United States

rfAndy Posted at 6-20 11:41
I just experienced a Crystalsky Ultra failure.  Died after 20 minutes.  This is a slave monitor that is rarely used.  So, after spending $700 for this monitor - that by now, of course, is out of warranty - it has died a well-known death that everyone in the industry knows is an identified common problem with this monitor.  Unfortunately, like others have stated, DJI has failed to acknowledge or make good on what is clearly a design and/or manufacturing defect because...culturally, DJI would NEVER admit to failing with anything!!  I have not yet opened a repair case.  I know how the scripted conversation will go.  Everybody hears the script.  "I'm so sorry, out of warranty.  Is there anything else we can help with?"  Since I have no other recourse, I will be forced to send back to DJI for repair and will be expecting to hear that it will cost almost what I paid for it to get it repaired.  The right thing for DJI to do - and the honorable thing - would be to acknowledge that these units (mine is a very early one) has defects and repair/replace without charge.  We won't call it warranty. Call it "good will." I will report my repair experience so you can see how it plays out vs. my prediction.

As expected, DJI told me the main board was bad (no kidding) and that the unit would have to be replaced for the bargain price of $513 since it was out of warranty.  Never mind that the unit only had, at most, an hour or two on it.  The main board failure is a common problem with the Ultra version and there have been many complaints.  It is obviously a design flaw that causes these boards to fail prematurely and/or not hold up under normal operating conditions.  Shame on DJI for not acknowledging this.  It is a continued cultural problem where the company can't admit any flaws, mistakes, or anything else that could cause them to look bad or spend a little bit of $ to fix properly.  In the meantime, I am forced to reluctantly pay for a repair of a problem that should not have occurred if the Ultra unit was truly an enterprise/public safety grade product.  CLEARLY, it isn't.  Unless you need HDMI output from the monitor, I would recommend going with a much less expensive Android tablet that can run other compatible apps and give you a 4G connection, if needed, as this isn't available on CrystalSky.
2019-7-5
Use props
VisionMPP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047536 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

DJI with all these complaints, I am beginning to think its just a matter of time with my CS 7.85 Monitor. Can you please provide us with an update on what or if any plans or future updates will be rolled out for these issues? I am seeing people posting problems from 2017 to date and still the problems are taking forever to be addressed. I wish you could feel our pain. people have spent there hard earned money here. pleeeeeese have aa team take a closer look at the issues that people on this forum is having and let us know when it will be addressed, this year 2019. Man this is frustrating smh!!!!!!!!!
2019-7-7
Use props
AdmBenson
lvl.4
France

2019-7-10
Use props
Fred Zeppplin
lvl.1

2019-9-4
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft

Thread worthy of staying on top. I own two CS monitors and have been waiting a long long time to upgrade the Go4 app. Many issues need correcting. They sold them to us with a bunch of promises and totally forgot about them quicker than any product ever. Orphans of the DJI family. Please DJI, just update the app at least once more. For what we paid we deserve at least that. In a few days Fred zeppplin will be banging his head again. I feel for ya brother.
2019-9-6
Use props
AdmBenson
lvl.4
France

2019-10-24
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

2019-10-24
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are using a Crystalsky on the Mavic 2 instead of the Smart Controller then you pretty much deserve to get owned.
2019-10-24
Use props
mAIRs
lvl.4
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 10-24 14:41
If you are using a Crystalsky on the Mavic 2 instead of the Smart Controller then you pretty much deserve to get owned.

The Sh1t Controller will end up the same... if you got suckered into buying the SC because "the CS in unsupported" than there's a Nigerian prince who wants to give you money, act quickly.
At the end of he day, Mavic 2 works with the CS, there are a few bugs but workable around... DJI are the ones who lost a lot of sales, future customers and trust...
The M2 works as it is and I can use it without updates until I upgrade to a new drone, which WILL not be a DJI drone, or will I get any more DJI products... I'm sure I'm not alone.
2019-10-24
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mAIRs Posted at 10-24 17:42
The Sh1t Controller will end up the same... if you got suckered into buying the SC because "the CS in unsupported" than there's a Nigerian prince who wants to give you money, act quickly.
At the end of he day, Mavic 2 works with the CS, there are a few bugs but workable around... DJI are the ones who lost a lot of sales, future customers and trust...
The M2 works as it is and I can use it without updates until I upgrade to a new drone, which WILL not be a DJI drone, or will I get any more DJI products... I'm sure I'm not alone.

Why use the CS over SC for the M2 anyway?
2019-10-24
Use props
mAIRs
lvl.4
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 10-24 18:34
Why use the CS over SC for the M2 anyway?

I had the CS & have non of the slow or disconnect issues that others report. I suspect that users install cr4p on their CS and cause their own issues, my CS is smooth and reliable but DJI Go 4 app has bugs and needs updating.
I won't "upgrade" to SC ever because I don't trust the lies coming from these DJI moderators and the SC will be worse off than the CS in the long run... its Occusync 2 only that is hardware so can't b changed to another modulation format and if DJI needs to change drone carrier frequency in the next few years for whatever reason, usually government regulation reasons, in future models than all who have the SC will have a expensive paper weight.. the CS will still work as a monitor.

DJlies with statements that Go4 has to be a special version for the CS but the latest generic android DJI Pilot works flawlessly with CS and the CS has live HD preview, another DJI lie saying that CS can only handle 720p. DJI can make CS run the generic APK but won't for some reason.
2019-10-24
Use props
mAIRs
lvl.4
Australia

I think that once CrystalSky becomes far behind the Android version of DJI Go 4 app, it'll be time to root CrystalSky and just install the generic Go4 that is on phones...
Once rooted, the CS DJI Go4 will no longer be limited to DJI lazyness, unprofessionalism and neglect....

Looking online there are more and more people doing it successfully. For those who are worried to root it with the command prompt, stand by, there is a nice automated GUI based rooting system that will pop up soon enough.

I'm very tempted to do this to my CS.. and give it another year of no updates or DJI releasing the restriction of using generic APK, I will do it... Once successful I will post detailed instructions on the procedure.
2019-10-25
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mAIRs Posted at 10-24 22:39
I had the CS & have non of the slow or disconnect issues that others report. I suspect that users install cr4p on their CS and cause their own issues, my CS is smooth and reliable but DJI Go 4 app has bugs and needs updating.
I won't "upgrade" to SC ever because I don't trust the lies coming from these DJI moderators and the SC will be worse off than the CS in the long run... its Occusync 2 only that is hardware so can't b changed to another modulation format and if DJI needs to change drone carrier frequency in the next few years for whatever reason, usually government regulation reasons, in future models than all who have the SC will have a expensive paper weight.. the CS will still work as a monitor.

Yeah, the problem with running smartphones is the app crashes.  With the SC, it never really crashes but you can't run SDKs like DroneDeploy.  I had the DroneDeploy app crash so many times today but the drone kept on and it was good.  : )
2019-10-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 6-20 16:03
Looks like the Super Moderators aren't giving a standard answer... or any ....

Cause CS was EOL many moons ago.
2019-10-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

mAIRs Posted at 10-24 22:39
I had the CS & have non of the slow or disconnect issues that others report. I suspect that users install cr4p on their CS and cause their own issues, my CS is smooth and reliable but DJI Go 4 app has bugs and needs updating.
I won't "upgrade" to SC ever because I don't trust the lies coming from these DJI moderators and the SC will be worse off than the CS in the long run... its Occusync 2 only that is hardware so can't b changed to another modulation format and if DJI needs to change drone carrier frequency in the next few years for whatever reason, usually government regulation reasons, in future models than all who have the SC will have a expensive paper weight.. the CS will still work as a monitor.

I suspect that users install cr4p on their CS and cause their own issues,

Not this Cs-Ub owner.

2019-10-28
Use props
mAIRs
lvl.4
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 10-28 06:02
I suspect that users install cr4p on their CS and cause their own issues,

Not this Cs-Ub owner.

How is that UB going??? I'm asking because of the overheating issues that a lot, and I mean a LOT of UB CS users reported....
Are you running it in sunny day light at 30+ degree C temps without issues?

2019-10-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

mAIRs Posted at 10-28 07:16
How is that UB going??? I'm asking because of the overheating issues that a lot, and I mean a LOT of UB CS users reported....
Are you running it in sunny day light at 30+ degree C temps without issues?

Only cool to warm weather.  
Had problems with a previous Cs-Ub and warm to hot weather.   Flaky as to when it would have problems.

Suspect Flakiness was result of: Length of flight, starting temperature of Cs-Ub (inside cool house or outside for a while), how long before flight Cs-Ub was powered on, what GO-4 "features" were enabled, outside brightness, and ambient temperature.

One thing to watch out for, loose upper body clothing.  Clothing can easily restrict airflow through Cs-Ub.
2019-10-28
Use props
RAF Diver
lvl.2
Flight distance : 660230 ft
United Kingdom

I have had my CS ultra 7.85 for around 6 months with my mav 2. Completed 30 flights with them both in all weathers and so far the app has only crashed once and when it did restart it took less than 30 seconds to get back to full flight view.  I used a iPad mini 5  prior which again worked perfect. Main reason for the crystal sky, simple 2000 nts. Perfect view in bright sunshine. I don’t know what all the complaints are about? Just completed a  5 mile flight today with no issues. I am sticking with the CS until Apple change there NTS ratings to at least 1200.
2019-11-18
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

Hello All,

Well , here's the fact guys. When you get the ""So Sorry, we are looking into it and our engineers are working on it", that's a bunch of bull. DJI Mindy or whoever else is monitoring, don't even bother to respond because there is nothing you can say. The bottom line is you guys are terrible as a company.

I am cross posting this to a couple of different posts as there are a number that deals with this issue. This is the communication I got with DJI support from a Support agent named Hermosa. As a disclaimer, this is what I received and have not changed one word of it. I give you my response also.

The only hope we have is if Litchi comes out with support for the Mavic Mnni. I suggested to DJI that they include the Mini in the existing DJI Go software and they did not even address that. Horrible customer support.

From DJI

Thanks for your patience.

Upon confirming with our superior engineers, the DJI FLY APP was developed based on the 64-bit platform.The minimum request of installation environment as belows:
1. Requires Android 6.0 or above.
2. Available ROM is 2GB and above.
3. Supporting ArmV8 64-bit architectures.(64-bit processor).

Since our Crystalsky adopted 32-bit sensor, it' s not compatible with DJI FLY APP. Kindly suggest using another mobile device if you have.

Appreciate your understanding and support.

Best Regards
Hermosa

My response

Hermosa,

This is really unacceptable and DJI clearly did not think this out when they produced this DJI Fly software. Your answer is what we all knew so essentially you gave me no new information.
The question remains is why DJI would produce software that does not work on its own device? I paid a heck of a lot of money for the Crystal Sky and like I said I could have bought 4 Samsung tablets for the same price as i paid for your device.

DJI has a horrible reputation when it comes to customer support. I have been a loyal customer for 5 years now and I own 7 of your drones as previously stated.
Understand that every time I have to deal with you guys on the customer service level I cringe, it's a struggle at best.

You have basically threw your hands up and said "Oh well" My trust in your company is gone. I will share this communication with the forums and all my sources to warn other users. I realize I am just one person.
What's worse is that you just lost me a customer.

Thank you for getting back to me.
2019-11-27
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

Latest DJI information regarding an escalated phone call I received from DJI regarding the Crystal Sky;

Well I got my escalated phone call from DJI and essentially in true DJI fashion they told me nothing. They did what DJI does best, apologizes, explains why they took the action with the software they used on the Mavic Mini and told me they would tell management about it so it does not happen in the future.  i told him that essentially that this does nothing for us Crystal Sky users now and that there are a lot of angry Crystal Sky users out there. I also conveyed how DJI is the worst, I mean the worst company I have ever dealt with.

I told him that I have already dealt with Skydio as I am in Batch 1 and how responsive they have been.

Basically I got the standard DJI line;

"So Sorry, our engineers are working on it, we will get back to you"

Like I said, DJI is the best free advertisement for Skydio. Skydio should buy them dinner or something!
2019-12-16
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

The topic title is totally inappropriate...  “Crystalsky is a joke”... there is nothing at all funny about the shocking lack of support DJI offers owners of this so called premium product.  If you said “Crystalsky is SH1T”  and the support DJI offers this product I'd have to 100 percent agree with you...                                                                                                                                   
2019-12-20
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

Sky Donkey,,,I understand your point. I liked the Crystal Sky and thought it was a great product. The problem is you have a company, DJI that does not stand behind their products. Without adequate support of this product, with all due respect sir, it is a joke. It does not work correctly with the products its supposed to work with.
As far as your topic title goes, your statement is totally accurate although I might use different terminology.  We are on the same team here for sure.
I am beyond frustrated.
2019-12-20
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

Just to show you what support is, Skydios first edition of its software did not have telemetry. They advised an update would come out after the first of the year. It actually came out yesterday in response to customer calls.
I don't see DJI even respond to the request that they add the Mini to the current DJI Go 4 Suite. If they did that it would solve a whole bunch of problems. Any 32 bit tablet would work with at least Android 5 as well as the Crystal Sky. I know DJI , I will answer it myself "So sorry, our engineers are working on it, we will get back to you".
2019-12-24
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So hot you can fry an egg on it

2019-12-31
Use props
fansdbec6509
lvl.1