Spark unresponsive and crashed.
1096 22 2019-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2275102 ft
United Kingdom

It crashed. I dont know how but it crashed... I was flying it back to me and it hit the tree.

You can even clearly see on the flight record that in the few secs before crash joystick was not in use, aircrast didnt stop, just kept moving.
Ended up with broken arm and 3 props missing. I do have a DJI Care purchased but I dont thnik iot was my fault.

2019-5-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that - are you going to post the flight record?
2019-5-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the mishap that happens to your aircraft. We highly recommend syncing the flight records and contact our support via the link. For additional information, the repair fee would depend on the outcome of the damage assessment and the warranty of your unit. However, if you choose to use your DJI care refresh, you may inform our designated department. Should you have further concerns, please keep us posted. Thank you for understanding.

www.dji.com/support
2019-5-21
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-21 12:18
Sorry to read that - are you going to post the flight record?

How can I post flight record over here?
2019-5-21
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2019-5-21
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 5-21 12:19
Hi, we're sorry for the mishap that happens to your aircraft. We highly recommend syncing the flight records and contact our support via the link. For additional information, the repair fee would depend on the outcome of the damage assessment and the warranty of your unit. However, if you choose to use your DJI care refresh, you may inform our designated department. Should you have further concerns, please keep us posted. Thank you for understanding.

www.dji.com/support

Thank you for your concern, you can see on the screensots above that AC was still moving without any input on the joystick. Even you can see that I have tried to move it back trying to avoid the crash.

2019-5-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Tomasz Laptas Posted at 5-21 13:13
Thank you for your concern, you can see on the screensots above that AC was still moving without any input on the joystick. Even you can see that I have tried to move it back trying to avoid the crash.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. You may contact our support via the link above for our designated department to start the investigation on what happened to your aircraft. Should you have further concern, please let us know. Thank you.
2019-5-21
Use props
gmozo
lvl.4
United States

was the senor for the spark dirty? that might be the case if not them send it to dji asap
2019-5-21
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Tomasz Laptas Posted at 5-21 12:50
How can I post flight record over here?

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

At 20kph, the drone will "roll out", without stick input.
That is a couple of meters.

Follow the instructions in the link and post the web address of your uploaded flight record here
2019-5-21
Use props
gosloman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9944 ft
United States

flight records
2019-5-23
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
United Kingdom

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/OLI7LEQSJWCWJ3AJ5TZB/
2019-5-23
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
United Kingdom

At 1:33 you can clearly see that AC was still in move, even at 1:33.5 tried to move it back when I saw what is going to happend. I just watched it going right into the tree, absolutelly helpless.

2019-5-23
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

Tomasz Laptas Posted at 5-23 10:43

At 1:33 you can clearly see that AC was still in move, even at 1:33.5 tried to move it back when I saw what is going to happend. I just watched it going right into the tree, absolutelly helpless.

He ran at full speed to an obstacle and didn't let the stick in time. 1:33 and he's hit at 1:35 (the dashboard indicates the inclination before an error message is received)
It was a bit longer than it should be. There was no backwind. The propellers were okay?
Which software, which firmware?
2019-5-23
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 5-23 14:16
He ran at full speed to an obstacle and didn't let the stick in time. 1:33 and he's hit at 1:35 (the dashboard indicates the inclination before an error message is received)
It was a bit longer than it should be. There was no backwind. The propellers were okay?
Which software, which firmware?

Hi Jakab, thank you for your reply. So I used original propellers, DJI GO 4 app and all the the software, both AC and RC  was up to date. There was not much wind that day, just a slight breeze. I do have  a video from the crash if you guys want to see it.
2019-5-23
Use props
TheSpeedyBirdy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968002 ft
United States

By looking at you're screenshots I noticed that your speed was 22.3km/h which is roughly 13mph which makes me believe that you were flying with the obstacle avoidance sensor turned off.

In normal mode the max speed you can fly is about 6mph but if you turn off obstacle avoidance then you can reach speeds of 13mph in normal mode which is what I believe you did.

You have to remember that the stopping distance increase the faster you fly so you need to be careful. Im guessing that when you tried to avoid hitting the tree you let go of the sticks which you said you did but since you had obstacle avoidance turned off and at the speed you were going the drone took longer to stop and crashed into the tree.

All is good becasue thankfully you have DJI care which should take care of everything.

2019-5-24
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
United Kingdom

TheSpeedyBirdy Posted at 5-24 05:46
By looking at you're screenshots I noticed that your speed was 22.3km/h which is roughly 13mph which makes me believe that you were flying with the obstacle avoidance sensor turned off.

In normal mode the max speed you can fly is about 6mph but if you turn off obstacle avoidance then you can reach speeds of 13mph in normal mode which is what I believe you did.

Hey SpeedyBird, thank you for your time. everything you said is correct, and yes, i was flying it with obstacle avoidance switched off, there was no need for it on the beach (actually there was...).
You may noticed on the first screenshot that AC was 6.1m away from the home-point.
At this stage it should stop within this 6m but it still drifted towards the tree.

I am more than sure that there are more experienced people here than me and they know much more about flying drones.
I have already sent it away for Care Refresh so i will get new bird, but still I'm more than sure that what happened was not my fault.
2019-5-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tomasz Laptas Posted at 5-26 03:28
Hey SpeedyBird, thank you for your time. everything you said is correct, and yes, i was flying it with obstacle avoidance switched off, there was no need for it on the beach (actually there was...).
You may noticed on the first screenshot that AC was 6.1m away from the home-point.
At this stage it should stop within this 6m but it still drifted towards the tree.

Hi Tomasz,

Had a look at your flight too.

The moment before impact you had 100% fwd, craft flying at approx 20 ft/s.
At 1m33 100% fwd stick stoppen followed by 100% aft stick, speed reduced to 6.9 ft/s at impact. Tree?
(craft pitch down to 14 degrees up to brake).
During this heading steady at 126 degrees.

At 1m35.2s ptich up rapidly to 40 degrees, followed by roll left to 47.8 degrees.
Heading changes rapidly!  Motor 1 and 3 obstructed warnings.
After this crash into tree / something, compass errors and gps errors resulting in an period in ATTI mode.
Craft not in control in ATTI and drifted/flew away. I see 2 times high pitch and roll angles, so did it hit something first before hitting the tree or was the firts impact the tree and after that it flew uncontrolled some distance further?White dot (chart4) is the first impact, so what happend after that ?

Speed values are not correct in the data when the IMU is 'confused'.
My speed values in the 4 charts is the calculated speed using GPS position over time.

Looking at the data before hitting something, looks normal to me. Drone need time to stop the fwd motion, juts needed some more free space to stop that motion.

Cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
analysis4.png
2019-5-26
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi JJB*, thank you fro your time and knowledge.
I have just recieved a brand new replacment, still in the box, foiled.
It looks like I need to put my head down and accept the failure, looks like there is still a lot to learn.
2019-5-29
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Ow. I feel your pain.
2019-5-29
Use props
Mhinc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

Ahhh man that sucks!  Live and learn right?
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you don't know how to fly in 3rd person first then you shouldn't be flying.
2019-5-30
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-30 18:19
If you don't know how to fly in 3rd person first then you shouldn't be flying.

Sorry, I promise that I will put it on eBay tonight. Thank you for your advice, now go on and be a nasty person somewhere else.
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tomasz Laptas Posted at 5-30 23:03
Sorry, I promise that I will put it on eBay tonight. Thank you for your advice, now go on and be a nasty person somewhere else.

You can fly the DJI RC simulator to practice.  I got better at flying because of it.  I wasn't suggesting you give up and sell it.  Unfortunately, I don't think it can teach you how to fly in true 3rd person.  You need RealFlight for that.  It's where I started.
2019-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules